Motorola Moto Z2 Play Review

My problem with a lot of these phones is "style" over FUNCTION. They are more worried about how it will LOOK, versus how it will work. What do they do? Make phones slim & stylish, shrink down the thickness of the phone, reduce the battery size, THEN offer overpriced battery do-dad add on's or cases that have a battery that was pretty much the size, before they started with all of this slim & stylish nonsense. Bezels? Yeah, it allows them to squeeze a larger screen into a smaller size phone, but, I'd rather have a small amount of bezels, to hold the phone without touching the screen, not to mention perhaps helping save the screen from slight impacts that could happen.

The phone itself is alright (nothing I'd buy) but I wish they'd kill off and bury that silly modular concept already. It makes absolutely no economic sense to the consumer, just manufacturers.
After two years the device is considered outdated and obsolete, and you can't resell it for more than 20% of it's original price. If you've blown a wad on those modules, tough luck sucker. It would make a lot more sense if you could use those modules on a future phone, at least you might get your money's worth from them.

Wow, I guess you didn't like this device...there are plusses to the Mod's. The JBL speaker Mod is small enough to carry in your pocket whereas a traditional bluetooth speaker is not. That is enough of a benefit to me to be ok with the fact that its not compatible with other platforms. I agree with some of your points and respectfully disagree with some others. You noted that with it doing so-so in most of the benchmarks that it would be much pokier on the move than the Moto Z Force...in reality, despite the middling benchmarks, it runs at about 95% of the SD 835 processor for browsing the web and checking emails and watching videos and is about 90% as good when gaming...

The phone itself is alright (nothing I'd buy) but I wish they'd kill off and bury that silly modular concept already. It makes absolutely no economic sense to the consumer, just manufacturers.
After two years the device is considered outdated and obsolete, and you can't resell it for more than 20% of it's original price. If you've blown a wad on those modules, tough luck sucker. It would make a lot more sense if you could use those modules on a future phone, at least you might get your money's worth from them.

You can use the modules on a future phone. All the motorola phones share a common magnetic mod system. My moto mods from the moto z work fine on my moto z2. Not defending the price though, many mods are way overpriced.

You can use the modules on a future phone. All the motorola phones share a common magnetic mod system. My moto mods from the moto z work fine on my moto z2. Not defending the price though, many mods are way overpriced.
I don't disagree with the latching system, that seems to be OK but are the older modules compatible with newer devices? By that I mean are the contact pins and magnets in exactly the same place? The dimensions of the devices all differ from year to year.

I don't disagree with the latching system, that seems to be OK but are the older modules compatible with newer devices? By that I mean are the contact pins and magnets in exactly the same place? The dimensions of the devices all differ from year to year.

Indeed, all of the older modules are compatible with the newer devices. You can even find many articles recommending using these older modules as many are still useful.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/best-moto-mods/

1mm cost hours of battery life, gives a lens bump that can be 'solved' by a (?mm) case.
Yep, marketing genius.

1mm cost hours of battery life, gives a lens bump that can be 'solved' by a (?mm) case.
Yep, marketing genius.

You most certainly are trading off for the reduced size. In my opinion it isn't worth it. Heck, it's hard for most people to even notice the difference in thickness. I have to specifically point it out before people notice.

I was going to buy one of these until I read about the battery life. 3000mAh doesn't cut it any more - the Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom has 5000, so the choice was easy. I can't remember ever having this much battery life, I just can't kill it. Lowest I've got in a day of use is 60%. So far it's the best phone I've ever owned.

Wow I don't have the Z2 Play but the Z2 Force is a lot better features and speed and 4 GB of RAM with 64 GB / 2 TB for storage needs. 5 GHZ WiFi N/AC is a plus works and quick. Tested everything so far nothing to hold back on. 3000 mAh so what I rather have light weight in my left side pocket then have a load weight in there. LOL Mod for Projector is neato.. Got that free from Motorola.. Got one for the Fiance also she happy with hers. I am not a huge fan of XOS and that Samsung S8 plus Active etc.. Just don't want so much. I have good credit and I could have got those also. I lease my cell phone plus have high speed data that works great. Pictures are more than great dual camera on the rear. I just use this for phone and daily stuff. I would rate my phone 85 plus in score.

Back