Motorola's foldable Razr will be a hit if it looks this good

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Forward-looking: This concept Moto Razr from designer Sarang Sheth looks absolutely stunning and remains true to the original phone. It’s the first time that the foldable concept has been demonstrated in a way that gives me hope.

Recent rumors point to Motorola unveiling a successor to its popular Razr V3 flip phone in February, perhaps during Mobile World Congress. The handset will reportedly feature foldable screen technology and carry a staggering price tag of around $1,500.

I’ve long criticized foldable smartphones for trying too hard. To this point, no manufacturer has demonstrated that they’ve figured out a form factor that makes sense. With the current crop of devices, manufacturers are fixated with trying to take a full-size smartphone and fold it out into a small tablet.

Based on what has been shown thus far, this doesn’t feel like the right path for foldable displays.

What does feel right, however, is this concept Moto Razr from designer Sarang Sheth.

The original Razr followed the design language of “less is more” and this concept perfectly exemplifies that. Rather than fold out into a tablet-sized device, the newly envisioned Razr takes a standard smartphone and folds it down.

If Motorola’s new Razr looks anything remotely like this, I think they’ll have a hit on their hands. I’m not so sure the $1,500 price tag will resonate with buyers but we shall see.

Permalink to story.

This phone is the hardware, that's step number one. Now figure way to put Nuance speech recognition on it that works onboard a handheld device so we're not exposing what we say to a server someplace to translate speech into text and you'll have a device that I would pay $2000+ for! I think most IT people who know what they're talking about would agree with me. I had really hoped that the8" mini surface Pro would have done that and maybe it would've. Maybe that's also why It got squashed.

This phone is the hardware, that's step number one. Now figure way to put Nuance speech recognition on it that works onboard a handheld device so we're not exposing what we say to a server someplace to translate speech into text and you'll have a device that I would pay $2000+ for! I think most IT people who know what they're talking about would agree with me. I had really hoped that the8" mini surface Pro would have done that and maybe it would've. Maybe that's also why It got squashed.
Most tech people are not going to shovel out $2K for a phone LOL. We know better then to invest 4 figure into a device with a 3-4 year lifespan.

The biggest buyers for a foldable phone will be women because their pockets are smaller than men's. Give it a huge array of slip-on covers with all sorts of designs and they'll gladly pay $600, but probably no more. Frankly, I think more people would be interested in a phone that folded horizontally. You could have a standard screen on what looked like a slightly thicker-than-normal phone. When it unfolded like a book you'd have a full-on tablet screen available. Don't tell me that wouldn't sell at $800, especially if it had reasonable battery and other specs.

For $1500,are we getting the latest snapdragon CPU? Does it have competitive RAM, etc?

If all it has is "foldable", then no thanks...

I still think that the real use for this foldable tech is to enable laptops to have 27" (or bigger) screens.... I don't really need a bigger screen on my smartphone or tablet... I like them the way they are...

Although I love the Design I wouldn't buy it at that price come to think of it I wouldn't buy any phone above a few hundred dollars as long as It was a phone! lol

"f Motorola’s new Razr looks anything remotely like this, I think they’ll have a hit on their hands. I’m not so sure the $1,500 price tag will resonate with buyers but we shall see."

Wow! You must be affiliated with Motorola, large share holder?!

Foldable phones are coming to market because people want more screen real estate which this phone does not provide!

Beginning to get bored of comments complaining about prices in the tech industry. Mobile phones, graphics cards, CPUs, it doesn’t matter what it is it seems that people feel entitled to cheaper products.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like high prices but these are luxury items, if you don’t like the price feel free not to buy it. I think these companies charge these prices because they know they enough people out there will buy their product at that price so why should they sell for less?

In the meantime we are all going to have to get used to the latest tech costing more than it used to. We got used to the most expensive cars or watches being out of the price range of most normal humans, why can’t we do the same with mobile phones and graphics cards? It’s not as if there aren’t options available in our given price ranges.

Oh and I wouldn’t pay $500 for this thing myself. I won’t complain about it being $1500 though. I’m sure Motorola know how to price their own products.

Looks nice, but I will have to wait several good years until the price falls down considerably. In the meantime I will carry my standard LG G3 and save my hard earned money.....

(yes, it still works great!)

Back