Multiple error messages on startup

My laptop suddenly restarted itself earlier and when it did it no longer looked like Vista and I got 4 or 5 error messages all saying various programs stopped working because "a problem caused the program to stop working correctly" and then a little window in the bottom right popped up and said "Failed to connect to a windows service."
I found another thread about that message that said to startup in safe mode and search for the "cmd.exe" command and to type in "netsh winsock reset" and restart. Which I did and I thought the problem was solved. Everything looked fine, all the windows and the startup menu were back to normal and that window did not come back.
However then as programs tried to start as they normally do all those same little error messages popped back up.
I have run AVG and no threats were found. And other than those error messages everything seems to be working just fine. I'm still able to get online and messanger opened and signed in as well.
What is causing all these programs to fail on startup but then work if I reopen them?

Back