Multiple svchost.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammJDS626

Hey guys,

I have noticed that my desktop has been running slower lately and i wanted to see what i had running in the backround. And I have anywhere from 5-7 of these svchost.exe running at the same time. I have no clue what there are for or do. Under User Name some say System, Local Service & network service. Thanks for helping

-Samm

It is not unusual to have multiple svchosts running. This is a fundamental part of Windows XP. It is a system file that Windows uses to run programs. See this from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056

It can become infected with a virus, and often is. There are also other infestations that use very similar spellings.

Be certain you have a very good antispyware program and run full system scans frequently. That is the best way to know you are OK.

Then be sure you have enough memory to run the processes you have.... I GB or more is best. If your various online scanners, or installed scanners fail to work, you likely have a virus or an evil spyware, because they are sometimes designed to thwart your scans.

You slow speed can be more a problem of inadequate memory than too many processes running.

A svchost.exe error can be caused by any program that is using svchost.exe to make itself operate. You can test by uninstalling some of these programs to see what changes, then reinstall them one at a time as you watch for changes.

Most problems are hardware related, not svchost related... such as an old or overloaded hard drive, failing video graphics or damaged memory.

Reinstalling Windows will make a big difference, but not usually worth the extra work and time.

You might also want to run a good registry checker, such as CCleaner.

At this moment, I have 10 svchost.exe processes running, ranging from 3K to 21.000K. None show CPU usage. My system is clean.

Starting with Windows XP, Microsoft named multiple "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" as svchost.exe.

As mentioned, having these processes running should not cause a slow computer- this would be assuming you have run your security scans regularly and show no malware. IF any svchost.exe process DOES show significant memory or CPU usage over what I've mentioned, THEN you should investigate it.

Also, pay particular notice to the spelling as "scvhost.exe" is registered as W32/Agobot-S virus.

Samm, here are some things you can do to try and speed up the system:

1. Uninstall any programs or apps you don't use.
2. Stop everything from starting at boot "except" the antivirus program, firewall, touchpad for laptop and network process if on network.

Everything else can be called up as needed.

3. Do regular maintenance on the system. This will include:
a. scan with your security programs, updating each right before the scan.
b. disc cleanup to delete temporary internet files, temp files, History and Cookies.
c. run the Error Check
d. defrag

4. Do not allow programs to automatically check for updates- the exception is the antivirus program- "nothing" else! (frequent programs I see on auto check are Java, Real Player, HP and others)
5. Use the Black Viper site to either disable or change to Manual any Services that are either not being used or that don't need to automatically start at boot:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

#5 will take some time but will be to your advantage when Services are regulated. Be sure to check the Dependency tab for any Service you are considering to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back