Need a good encoding program ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Guy

I taped both of my sisters' graduating ceremonies in the last 2 months and I still have a previous vacation to encode as well. All from a Sony MiniDV Camera, what's the best software I can use to get the BEST resolution & quality? I know codecs are probably required as well.

I'm not worried how much the software will cost either, miniDV tapes seems to be expensive around here, I rather pay enough for an encoding software and be able to re-use the tapes.

I was using Windows Movie Maker before that came with Windows and damn, that's horrible stuff.

Do you want to just encode the video, or do you want to make transitions, effects, etc.?

VirtualDub is a free and great utility for the first variant, but I don't know if it supports DV format (guess not). Didn't you get some software with your camera?

Edit: VirtualDub does support capturing video from camera's so you can use it. For the codec, I suggest xVid (just configure it well)

or if you want full pro gear that costs a fair bit, use Adobe Premier...

some dvd burning software also come with their own video encoder software such as nero vision/recode etc..

mini dv tapes expensive? $5-10 for a 60minute tape.. maybe you need to get anohter supplier....

URANium238 said:
Do you want to just encode the video, or do you want to make transitions, effects, etc.?

VirtualDub is a free and great utility for the first variant, but I don't know if it supports DV format (guess not). Didn't you get some software with your camera?

Edit: VirtualDub does support capturing video from camera's so you can use it. For the codec, I suggest xVid (just configure it well)

Oh, I didn't know it worked for the Digital Camera, thanks. And yeah I just want to encode, it's just to get everything off of the tapes. No special effects are necessary.

N3051M said:
or if you want full pro gear that costs a fair bit, use Adobe Premier...

some dvd burning software also come with their own video encoder software such as nero vision/recode etc..

mini dv tapes expensive? $5-10 for a 60minute tape.. maybe you need to get anohter supplier....

LOL Probably, plus getting it on computer is better since I could easily just burn copies for other relatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back