Need to Remove Something Microsoft Update Already Downloaded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzylogik

I am not a fan of XP SP3. Unfortunately, I accidentally downloaded the file when Microsoft Update popped up one time unexpectedly. Now every time I login, it wants me to install a program that has already been downloaded but still needs to be installed.

I've searched for things like "remove xp sp3 download", "remove xp sp3 windows update" and numerous other search parameters to no effect (on Techspot, Microsoft, and the web at large).

Do you know how I can delete this damned thing once and for all?

Many thanks,
Fuzzylogik

WICT doesn't appear to find it -- everything it lists has been installed. The problem is that I DON'T want to install the program in order to remove it. The OS has to store the download somewhere when it DLs software from Microsoft Update but I haven't been able to find the directory.

Am I missing something?

Nope, I've already checked the Run options under HKEY Current User and HKEY Local Machine. I could disable updater from loading (which I've already tried to do) but it still remembers that it downloaded SOMETHING and wants to install it. The only thing that I can think to do is either track down where Microsoft Updater downloads the files before they are installed or trick XP into believing that nothing has been downloaded -- either option will work. I just can't figure out how to do it.

Thanks for the link to disable SP3 -- if I can ever get rid of this damned thing, I'll add it to the registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back