Need to replace MOBO in Dell Precision 330

Status
Not open for further replies.

fw2004

Hi;
I have a Dell Precision 330 about 5 years old. The HDD controller appears to be acting flaky. First off, the BIOS won't recognize the new 300G ATA HDD I plugged in. Second, there are parity and other disk errors reported in Event Log.
The system is running Windows XP Pro with SP2.

If I buy any MOBO, say from Asus, will theirs fit the Dell case?
It looks as though it would, but knowing OEM's I have my doubts.

But then, one may argue as to why I would need to keep that behemoth of a case anyway... well, I'm not sure. Perhaps I would be better off with a whole new system... from Dell, or to build myself.

What is your advice?

Thanks

FW

my advice would be to build one yourself. don't buy another Dell. for the same price or less as a new Dell would cost you could build one yourself which will be better quality and more upgradable.

you can replace the mobo if you want. the dimensions series use standard microATX motherboards and an ATX power supply, I don't know if the "precisions" are the same.

Dell used standard size form factor ATX boards in their desktops. but there are TWO problems you are going to run into. 1. older dells like yours use proprietary Mobo and PSU connectors that aree reversed from standard. so you will need a new PSU as well as a new mobo. 2. the front panel connector on dells were usually one piece and dont match up with regular boards.

Like kingcody said, I recommend building a new computer from scratch. That will save you a lot of headaches....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back