Netflix competitors expected to lose over $5 billion this year

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: Believe it or not, Netflix is still the king of streaming video entertainment. It's easy to assume that with competition like Comcast and Disney, it would be floundering, especially after losing a lot of licensed content to its competitors. However, the former Big Cable boys are failing at the streaming game.

The Financial Times reports that some of the biggest entertainment companies will post more than $5 billion in losses from their streaming services for 2023. Disney, Comcast, and Paramount streaming divisions will all end up in the red for the year, and Warner Bros Discovery managed a small profit. However, investors are already clamoring about downsizing and spinning off parts of the business.

Paramount+ is arguably in the most trouble. The streaming service started as CBS All Access, which re-merged with Viacom in 2019 and was carried exclusively by Xfinity Flex (Comcast) in January 2020. By September 2020, Viacom rebranded the platform to Paramount+ with plans to make it a standalone streaming service and expand programming from on-demand CBS shows to more original series and "premium" content.

Within the last few weeks, controlling stakeholder Shari Redstone has initiated talks to sell the platform to Skydance. Talks are in the early stages, so details about the deal are scarce. Paramount CEO Bob Bakish reportedly spoke with Warner CEO David Zaslav regarding a merger, as well. However, inside sources warned that both deals are tentative and might not materialize.

In addition to the losses in streaming, the formerly "traditional" media conglomerates are struggling with a stingy advertising market, a significant dip in TV revenue, and a spike in production costs brought on by the recent 148-day writers strike.

LightShed Partners analyst Rich Greenfield said Paramount is in panic mode, desperately seeking a merger.

"TV advertising is falling far short, cord-cutting is continuing to accelerate, sports costs are going up, and the movie business is not performing," Greenfield said. "Everything is going wrong that can go wrong. The only thing [the companies] know how to do to survive is try to merge and cut costs."

Let's address the elephant in the room since Greenfield was so kind to bring it up. Big Cable's plans of taking over streaming are beginning to backfire as cord-cutters say, "No! We will not have it." People migrated to services like Netflix and Hulu to escape the perceived corporate greed of network TV and cable companies offering hundreds of channels "of value" in their basic packages while scattering the handful of quality content across increasingly higher-priced premium bundles.

It hit Big Cable and Hollywood hard in the pocketbook as people flocked online. So, it thought to copycat established streaming services and take back previously licensed content so they could collect all the revenue themselves. It appears now that those plans are falling apart, at least in part, due to cord-cutters stubbornly not buying into every streaming platform on the planet, particularly the newer ones backed by the corporate overlords that caused them to flee cable in the first place.

So the real winner in all of this hustle is Netflix, which pioneered streaming VOD (video on demand) services.

"For much of the past four years, the entertainment industry spent money like drunken sailors to fight the first salvos of the streaming wars," opined industry analyst Michael Nathanson in November. "Now, we are finally starting to feel the hangover and the weight of the unpaid bar bill. [For Netlix's competitors], the shakeout has begun."

Netflix has remained profitable for the most part over the last several years. Its most recent earnings report blew Wall Street analysts' predictions out of the water, adding over nine million new subscribers. The growth was the best the company has seen since early 2020, when pandemic lockdowns forced people to "Netflix and chill." Even recent "aggressive" price hikes have not harmed the platform.

Meanwhile, smaller upstarts are losing customers to hikes as they struggle to stay afloat. For those companies, it's merge or die. Warner was able to eke out a small profit for the year thanks to price hikes, canceling some shows, and signing licensing deals with, guess who? Netflix.

Unfortunately, it also saw over two million subscribers walk out the door in just the last two quarters. Many lost customers were inevitable. Still, Warner Discovery's ill-advised decision to not renew its licensing deal with Sony and effectively "stealing" hundreds of shows from thousands of PlayStation owners who had purchased Discovery content probably didn't help despite having since reversed its decision.

Even the entertainment behemoth Disney will not escape 2023 unscathed. It lost a whopping $1.6 billion from its Disney+ streaming platform in the first three quarters of the year. These losses come despite gaining eight million new subscribers in the same timeframe. It is now in the middle of restructuring, which has cost 7,000 employees their jobs. It now forecasts that the platform will become profitable in 2024.

According to Greenfield, growth by acquisition is not the answer. Companies like Warner, shooting to turn losses around by merging with other companies in the streaming sector, may suffer even more.

"The right answer should be, let's stop trying to be in the streaming business," he said. "The answer is, let's get smaller and focused and stop trying to be a huge company. Let's dramatically shrink."

Image credit: Trusted Reviews

Permalink to story.

Netflix is still the king of streaming video entertainment..
its true in some countries..
but, in my home region, the king is tik tok..

Last edited:
A lot of them are losing money because they keep raising their prices and people flock to other services. When those other services also raise their prices those same people flock to something else again. I left Netflix aong time ago and do not have plans to ever go back to them unless they lower their pricing. I use Roku which is totally free and has a lot to offer for the price of nothing and their ad's system is ok and not annoying. Unlike Youtube which has gotten so bad the last while that watching it through Roku is almost becoming a no go and I will use my computer to watch YT which is AD free. I also find YT is not really pushing the users to get their premium services.

I also use Amazon Prime for the free delivery service, and it comes with prime TV and prime Music. I sub to a few channels through prime as well. With Amazon no going with ADs in their paid prime service unless you pay like $3 bucks extra a month I will have to decide if that free delivery serviice is actually worth it anymore.

Cable TV is starting to look like a good way to go again maybe but if they want users to flock back to them, they need to lower pricing and give better channel packages that people actually want to watch.

It's the native app support of Netflix, even on older TV's that makes it so populair.

If you have a old TV, the chances are likely your unable to install another app with any of the above names.

Your kind of forced to either use a PS3/PS4, Laptop or other device that is capable of streaming netflix or any of those apps to your TV.

Here's the reason why Netflix is so populair. People do not replace their TV every year, but usually run up to 10 years. In the case of Sony TV's - support ended a long time ago thus no more "new apps" being released for those older things.

Let's start with that, a open TV eco-system.

Is it worth watching that New NETFLIX movie that Obama and his wife produced and posted about 5-10 days ago? It has to do with crashing our economy in late 2024 due to an EMP or something?

The money I save not having to tip deliveries using Prime is worth the extra $3 a month for no AD streaming.
I am not giving them a dime on principle. I do not watch their media beside occasional game replay though. Needless to say, if I find something that I like, I will download it instead of watching with ads.

A lot of them are losing money because they keep raising their prices and people flock to other services. When those other services also raise their prices those same people flock to something else again. I left Netflix aong time ago and do not have plans to ever go back to them unless they lower their pricing. I use Roku which is totally free and has a lot to offer for the price of nothing and their ad's system is ok and not annoying. Unlike Youtube which has gotten so bad the last while that watching it through Roku is almost becoming a no go and I will use my computer to watch YT which is AD free. I also find YT is not really pushing the users to get their premium services.

I also use Amazon Prime for the free delivery service, and it comes with prime TV and prime Music. I sub to a few channels through prime as well. With Amazon no going with ADs in their paid prime service unless you pay like $3 bucks extra a month I will have to decide if that free delivery serviice is actually worth it anymore.

Cable TV is starting to look like a good way to go again maybe but if they want users to flock back to them, they need to lower pricing and give better channel packages that people actually want to watch.
The insane cost of media plays a huge part. Movies are costing well over $200 million now, and simply cannot make their money back. Godzilla -1 was made on a budget of under $15 million and looks just as good as modern hollywood with a far better story, and it did huge numbers. So long as hollywood huffs their own ivory scented farts they'll continue to burn billions making bloated media nobody wants.

The alienation and outright assault on fans isnt helping them either. Disney is far and beyond the worse for this, but they are not alone. They've destroyed two massive franchises so far. How long can they continue burning billions on Disney+ I wonder?

It's the native app support of Netflix, even on older TV's that makes it so populair.

If you have a old TV, the chances are likely your unable to install another app with any of the above names.

Your kind of forced to either use a PS3/PS4, Laptop or other device that is capable of streaming netflix or any of those apps to your TV.

Here's the reason why Netflix is so populair. People do not replace their TV every year, but usually run up to 10 years. In the case of Sony TV's - support ended a long time ago thus no more "new apps" being released for those older things.

Let's start with that, a open TV eco-system.

The TV in my main room is a 50" TCL Roku TV (won it in a raffle 6 or 7 years ago now, so it only cost me $25). The TV is pretty slow and has problems:
* You want to enable subtitles if you have to keep the volume low? That sucks because half the time the TV can't keep up with the subtitles and they get stuck for a period of time before they start again or the TV just freaks the F out and shuts off the other half of the time.
* You want to use Netflix? It takes about 60 seconds to load into Netflix and then about another 30 seconds for the shows to start popping up on the screen and it takes a few seconds between button presses to see the TV respond. Once you find a show you want to watch it can take another 30-60 seconds before it actually loads up and starts streaming. If the TV is having a bad day, even just running Netflix will cause it to freak the F out and turn off on you multiple times.
* You want to use Apple's channel on it? Sorry, loser! It won't run on this TV. (which is okay, I don't sub to Apple, but my brother wanted to watch a show when he was up visiting a few years back and found out that TV didn't support the Apple channel then).
* Overall, the TV is slow, but it was only $25 and it still powers on and I'm too cheap to replace it.

The neat thing about Roku and Apple's channel is that you can use one of the small Roku sticks (that's the same age or older than the TV itself), connect it to the HDMI port on the TCL TV and the Roku stick runs circles around what the TV itself can do - no issues with subtitles, doesn't shut off for no reason, everything is snappy. You can download any channel you want to stream. That's just sad that the sticks actually work better than the TV itself. Makes me think that the TV is powered by the original Atom processors that suck in anything that they're put in when they came out.

Maybe the newer and more recent TCL TVs work better than this one that's pushing 7 years old? I wouldn't recommend one unless you just needed something cheap.

Is it worth watching that New NETFLIX movie that Obama and his wife produced and posted about 5-10 days ago? It has to do with crashing our economy in late 2024 due to an EMP or something?

Leave The World Behind, I thought it was a pretty good watch.
It’s more about people in sudden isolation needing to figure out what’s going on and who can be trusted.
They have to deal with some creepy people and wildlife and self driving cars. It was fun.

Even after having multiple subscriptions, it's a massive pain to search for shows. Sometimes a show disappears and then appear on another platform. Sometimes I have to google on my mobile to see where it is right now as searching in TV is a massive pain even with voice recognition. Even the darned 'Exclusives' sometimes disappear which is absolutely mind boggling to me.

I can understand why so many people simply use Cloudstream app to view everything in one place.

Surprise, surprise! :rolleyes: Greed comes back to bite them AGAIN. My wife read an article/opinion piece in the Wall Street Journal, no less, that suggested the solution: Go back to licensing their content to Netflix. That would work for me. I refuse to subscribe to every different service especially when I have seen all the content on want to see on some of the services such as Disney+ and some of that content was Crap, IMO. Take the second season of Loki, for instance. I did not even make it through the first episode. Churning out crap is not the way to run a streaming service. Honestly, I wait for the DVDs of what I want to watch from Paramount+ and then get them from my local library for, at most, $0.50. I cannot see going back to the model I was on with DishNetwork 500 channels of crap on the TV to choose from for one low price of $85.00 a month. I only watched 5 of those 500 channels regularly, and several of them were stations I get OTA for free. In the time that I have been streaming, I've saved enough money to more than pay for the two HTPCs I've built.

The Middle Finger to everyone but Netflix, for me. As I see it, "Mergers" will not save their behinds because all they will do is cut the good content, and put more crap on the services. IMO, the "imitators" can all go bankrupt. It would serve them right.

To much of the content is no good. Taste's are changing and until such time, if any, the programmers give the majority content, subscribers will continue to dwindle despite reviews...such as " best new show of the season". If a streaming provider wants to excel they have to get rid of the Bionic Women among other more current trash. I'd write more but people will watch wholesome TV in droves. It won't happen though simply because it's not part of the plan and even losing billions they still have $$

Last edited:
Let's be real. The biggest reason for losses is the simple fact that these new services were simply free TV back in the day. I don't know the lingo for every region but paramount=CBS, peacock=NBC, etc...

Perfect example, you're a football fan, right now today is one of the worst and most confusing times. You need multiple paid for services to watch weekly games that were simply on regular free broadcast channels. Sure ESPN came into the picture and you required cable suddenly, but it doesn't change the fact that NFL played on 4 free broadcast networks for decades. Since it's Super bowl era. Now you need multiple stream services or a comprehensive service such at youtubeTV, yet you'll still need a Prime subscritpion to include every game.

Or you could be a tool and shill out $400+ dollars for the NFLs own stream package that allowed all games. Remember 100% of these same games were free not 25 years ago. Broadcast antenna TV. Free. All games...

What happens when you open your streaming apps? This is a big reason for the fallout as well...Ads. Much like Youtube, want to just click a video/movie/show for 20-30 seconds of taste? Sorry, you must first watch 3 minutes of advertisement. Paramount, Peacock, Prime, Max; ads before you can even preview a show. Might be a personal habit, but I like to watch a bit of a show before I decide. You can't even do a preview without wasting 3 minutes of your life now.

Netflix is winning because it never gave itself away to begin with. It was always paid for. Now you have free services trying to get in your pocket and do what they always did with commercials. Have Paramount/peacock/etc.. You are paying for antenna TV. You know that free **** from a few years back? Paid for.

This is what happens when every single media company sees how well Netflix is doing and they figure everyone will sign up to their service too no matter how crappy their content or how high the price. People voted with their wallets and said "No, we're not going to sign up for fifty different streaming services so we can get fleeced again by the same companies we tried to leave behind."

All these companies are getting exactly what they deserve. They used to license their content to other services like Netflix, but then they all decided it's better to have their own golden goose (streaming service) and reap all the profits. So they pulled all their content from Netflix thinking everyone would follow and sign up for a new service just for that one or two show they really wanted. Surprise, surprise, people are not made of money!

There's absolutely no reason to have more than 2-3 total streaming services, period. Just license your content to the successful few and stop being so greedy. You can either make _some_ money by doing that or you can be stubborn and wait until your business model collapses, you get bought out, and then the competition won't have to license your content because they will OWN it instead. The sooner this happens the better.

They should unify these services by licensing content to the giants Netflix and Amazon, instead of just continually losing money. It would be better for the customer not to have to subscribe to every possible service to get the content they are looking for.
With only Netflix and Prime, we will probably pay twice for the same stuff we do today.

You clearly have learned nothing from history class, or reality, if you think that netflix and prime wouldnt jack up prices if they were the only game in town. Hell, they're jacking up prices NOW, and they have stiff competition already!
Huh? Are you one of those people who is always looking to the past, with generic thinking without considering current aspects? The best tactic to discourage competition is to be as efficient as possible and keep profit margins thin, this has always been Amazon's tactic.

If there were only two or three big players there would still be competition and it would be much better for us.

I left Sky years ago when we got Netflix for £4.99 and over the years Netflix crept up to £17.99 a month. Sky were recently offering Sky Stream for £19 which not only includes all of their content it also includes Discovery+ and Netflix (albeit with the loss of 4K) and that to me is a no brainer, it makes Netflix on its own look terrible value.

Back