NEW pc i built will not start, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok i am building a new pc and it the specs are --------AMDathlon xp 2800+ "barton" MOBO=ASUS A7N8X-X , RADION 9600 SE ,GEIL PC 3200 512MB RAM , WESTERN DIG 40GIG------- , I put all the parts toghther and when i go to turn it on it makes a high pitched sound and nothing comes on not even the LED on the mobo, could you help me with this problem someone ? what did i do wrong ?

There are many, many things that can go wrong.

If you are certain all your equipment is setup properly, you can use the speaker beeps to troubleshoot your problem. Different beeps are really different error codes.

The LED on the motherboard usually comes on while the system is plugged in and the switch behind your PSU is in the on position. It should not matter whether or not the system is actually on or not.

If you are not seeing this light, it is possible that your PSU or motherboard could be defective. This is just guesswork though.

OK where do i go to find out what the beeb means? and i know the power supplie workes but when i plug it in the lights dont come on could it just be i need a better power supplie? it is only a 230wat

Interesting, I have a very very similar setup to you with a 250W PSU and have some similar problems. Im not sure if its related or not but Ill throw it out here. Ever since I put this system together Iv been aflicted with this problem. When I go to turn my PC on, all I usualy get for about the first half dozen tries is a little half-spin out of all the fans and the green "runnning" LED comes on on my case. After about six bad starts it will just randomly, start working right and fire up all the drives ect... and the computer posts...
Pretty weird huh, I know enough to know that all my hardware is good. I have two theorys. One is that my PSU dosn't have enough wattage, Or something is up with the 6-phase power converter thing that came with my gigabyte mo/bo. This is the first time Iv ever encountered one. I guess it smoothes out the power or something. anyone got a better explaination?

Oh, and I forgot. I once built a computer that made a high pitch noise and wouln't turn on. but it was a much older system and I never figured out how to fix it. might be related, might not.

Try unplugging power cables for all drives except C, Remove expansion cards sound modem etc, then try starting up comp. If its psu the extra power may cure it. If it does upgrade :)

First thing you need to do is isolate the peice of hardware that is causing the problem. The easiest way to do that is to take out all your parts and put them in an anti static bag (make sure you ground yourself everytime you work on your PC, by the way).

Begin by putting the motherboard in your case and fastening it in just enough to the point where it won't fall out when you set the case upright. Don't tighten the fasteners too much, and make sure there are no screws or fasteners underneath the motherboard, between it and the case. This will cause a short and prevent your PC from turning on.

Add the CPU and heatsink, taking care not to bend or break any of the pins on the underside of the processor. Make sure the heatsink has a working fan attached to it and plugged into a power supply connector or the motherboard.

Firmly seat the memory sticks in the DIMM slots and make sure the clasps are clipped onto the sticks. Make sure they are fully seated in the slots, as sometimes memory (especially DDR SDRAM) will look like it is seated correctly by the connectors will not be fully connected to the DIMM slot. This will also cause a short and prevent your system from starting.

Stop there, plug your PSU cable into the motherboard and try turning the computer on. If it still does not turn on, chances are the there is a problem with the CPU, memory or both. Try replacing the memory with different sticks to see if any of them will boot. If you have a spare CPU lying around, try using it to see if it will boot.

Once your computer starts to work, add each peice of hardware one by one until either the computer ceases to work again or you have installed all the hardware without a problem. If you do have a peice of hardware that will not work, add a different peice of hardware to determine whether or not it will work as well.

If none of this works, you'll want to look at your motherboard and power supply. Does it appear that any part of the motherboard is broken or burnt? Is the motherboard missing any peices? Have it RMA'ed if the board looks broken.

Hopefully you have at least a good quality power supply with the MINIMUM following specifications:

3.3volt line: 20 amps minimum
5.0volt line: 30 amps minimum
12volt line: 15 amps minimum
and
A combined 3.3v & 5.0v line output of 180watt minimum

If you don't have a power supply capable of at least these specs, then you might invest some money into a better power supply.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I hope this helps a bit.

Good chance you have a bad stick of RAM, or it's not seated quite right in the memory slot. Take it out, and try it in a different slot, or if you have some other RAM laying around, try it as well....

Not sure if you did this already, but make sure that the CLEAR CMOS jumper is set to normal and not clear...if its set incorrectly the system wont start....

I just had the same problem replacing a Mobo in an HP. Turns out the Case itself was causing the short. Took a closer look and realized that two posts from the old board were not lining up with the new holes. Yanked them out and everything works fine now.

Newbie mistake, I know, but at Least I'm tryin'!! :grinthumb

Originally posted by marcbf
I just had the same problem replacing a Mobo in an HP. Turns out the Case itself was causing the short. Took a closer look and realized that two posts from the old board were not lining up with the new holes. Yanked them out and everything works fine now.

Newbie mistake, I know, but at Least I'm tryin'!! :grinthumb

No way not a newbie mistake ;) You just have to pay extra attention to some things. As Kamran said, this may well be your prob. Try taking out the mobo (yes that means unhooking everything) then remounting it back in :D

Well i had it tested and they told me that my mobo and cpu are dead. But i did try what you said and it did not help it at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back