Newly Built Computer BSOD Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MmmHmmmmm

Alright, so i built my first computer and all went pretty good. The computer seems to be running fine, but i randomly get a BSOD.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
BCP2: FFFFF80001D3E780
BCP3: FFFFFA60019E2978
BCP4: FFFFFA60019E2350
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini122408-01.dmp
C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-22900-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Local\Temp\WER6382.tmp.version.txt

Not sure how much this helps, but i really dont know what the problem is.

The stop error of 03D is pretty generic and often relates to faulty hardware or a hardware driver.

The best way to try and troubleshoot this is to do the following.

Disconnect everything not required to run the system. Leave only the mobo/cpu/psu/graphics card/hard drive and one stick of ram.

Now, test the system and see if it becomes stable.

If it does, then start adding hardware one bit at a time and testing until the system falls over again. The last bit of hardware you installed will probably be the culprit.

If your system doesn't become stable after removing all unnecessary hardware, then you should carefully check that everything is connected and seated correctly. Also make sure that the mobo isn't shorting against the chassis and that you used the standoffs in the correct locations.

Yeah all the standoffs are in the correct places, what do you mean by it shorting against the chassis? And does the fact that it occurs randomly help narrow it down (Played crysis for 2 hours nothing but it can happen after 2 minutes after opening WoW or randomly watching videos on gametrailers)?

Those temps don't look good and may well be the cause of the problems.

Are you sure you attached the heatsink correctly?

I am not quite sure. I know when i put them in, i couldn't get one of the four pins to lock in correctly and it's only about half way in. I am definitely going to fix that and see what happens. Also, i ran memtest for 10 passes last night and it came up with 0 errors,

Alright, so i removed the old thermal paste and applied some more using a razor blade this time. The idle temps are much much lower (15-20 degrees c lower). When my computer is idle, they are between 30-40 now. So hopefully that fixes the problem.

That's great news and hopefully your problem is now solved.

However, if you continue to have problems, please let us know.

The minidump isn't very helpful and so, I think you need to run the memory test and see what comes up.

I also suggest, if you haven't already, to try and run the system with the bear minimum of components as I suggested earlier in this thread.

The minidump isn't very helpful and so, I think you need to run the memory test and see what comes up.

I also suggest, if you haven't already, to try and run the system with the bear minimum of components as I suggested earlier in this thread.

I ran memtest overnight for 10 passes with zero errors.

Yeah, I am going to try bare minimum in a second. But i have my latest bsod which was 1e, so maybe its more of a help.

Alright so i decided to update my bios with @bios from gigabyte and that was a pretty bad idea. I kept getting errors the moment my computer loaded to the vista screen. So i reinstalled vista and all the drivers and also double checked all the connections on my computer. But i still get error 03D, it says "System_Service_Exception" up top and something about "w32k.sys". Any more ideas?

I am still of the opinion that you have a hardware problem of some description and troubleshooting can be difficult and time consuming.

The only way I can suggest, is to run the system with the bear minimum of components and test for stability.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but sometimes with a newly built system, there are hardware problems that can only be diagnosed by carefully testing components one at a time.

I have a quick question. When i was building my computer i noticed two places to plug in my optical drive and HDD. There were 6 SATA2 slots and 2 GSATA2 Slots. What is the difference between them, and does it make a difference where i plugged my HDD and dvd burner?

Lately i've been only having one error, which is BSOD 24 which says something about the ntfs.sys. I checked the connects to my HDD and everything is fine. I was thinking the choice between gsata and sata might have something to do with it but it doesnt so i am out of ideas.

At the risk of repeating myself, if this was my newly built computer, I'd definitely try running it with the absolute minimum of components.

When you get random BSOD's it is often a sign of a hardware problem and may be ram/underpowered psu/overheating or some other faulty or incompatible hardware.

These types of problems can be very difficult and time consuming to troubleshoot effectively, unless you just happen to have spare components that you can swap out.

It's very difficult for me to offer you any advice other than what I already have..

If the RAM test came back clean, I'd suspect the PSU being faulty, cheap or underpowered. It's rare (when I build anyway) that Gigabyte boards are DOA. They usually keep on trucking forever with the exception of some bad capacitors.

Does your PSU have a 24 + 4 pin connector? Have you got them all plugged in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back