Nikon prepping two full-frame mirrorless cameras for summer debut

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Nikon is a household name when discussing matters of photography but the company hasn't made much of a splash in the mirrorless interchangeable lens category. Two products rumored to be on the horizon, however, could change that.

Nikon is reportedly preparing to introduce a duo of mirrorless cameras that’ll compete against established competition from the likes of Sony and Canon.

Nikon Rumors claims the cameras will shoot in the range of 25-megapixels and 45 to 48-megapixels, respectively, and assumes that both will be of the full-frame variety. They’ll feature bodies similar in size to Sony’s a7 camera albeit with improved ergonomics and a better grip.

The report further highlights a 5-axis in-body stabilization system, 9fps continuous shooting and a new 55mm mirrorless mount that’ll allow for f/0.95 lenses. The cameras will support XQD and CF Express memory cards and initially, there will be three lenses announced: a 24-70mm, a 35mm prime and a 50mm prime. The two latter units will reportedly feature f/1.4 apertures.

Nikon is expected to announce the new cameras on or around July 23, we’re told, and ship them out about a month later. The lower-resolution shooter will likely check in under the $3,000 mark with a kit lens while the higher resolution model could ding your wallet for around $4,000 when matched with the 24-70mm lens.

Canon is also said to be working on a pair of full-frame mirrorless cameras to launch before the middle of 2019, one with a 30.4-megapixel sensor and another with a lower megapixel count, perhaps around 24-megapixels.

Lead image from Nikon Rumors (via Broxibear)

Permalink to story.

$3-4K is certainly no small amount. Personally, I think the big boys are pricing themselves out of the digital camera market much like Hassablad had done with the 2.25sq market .....

Unless they get the price down in the "less than $1,000" market, it won't take off other than professionals or semi-professionals.

Unless they get the price down in the "less than $1,000" market, it won't take off other than professionals or semi-professionals.

Full Frame under $1k new? I doubt it. That would be the most stripped down camera in existence. I can see the $2K mark being feasable for a FF but even for APS-c sensor 1k is going to get you a solid system.

$3-4K is certainly no small amount. Personally, I think the big boys are pricing themselves out of the digital camera market much like Hassablad had done with the 2.25sq market .....
For a full frame camera this is about the price range. Often I can produce pictures on my full frame that can sell for $800-$1000 after being printed and framed not to mention I can often sell the same picture over and over again. I don't even make a living as a photographer just my hobby.

Back