Nintendo announces updated Switch with a larger OLED display, 64GB of storage, improved...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: As it stands, the OLED model is more of an incremental update and doesn’t really give existing Switch owners a compelling reason to upgrade. What’s more, consoles and electronics in general are still in short supply, and it’s anyone’s guess as to what supply will look like when the system launches later this year.

Nintendo shored up months of rumors on Monday with an official announcement confirming a new variant of its Switch hybrid console.

The new Nintendo Switch features a larger 7-inch OLED display compared to the 6.2-inch LCD screen on the standard model and the 5.5-inch LCD panel of the Nintendo Switch Lite. The OLED model also features 64GB of internal storage (up from 32GB), an adjustable stand, a new dock with a wired Ethernet jack and improved audio.

Rumors leading up to this point suggested the new Switch would pack 4K capabilities and perhaps new hardware from Nvidia, but that isn’t the case.

Nintendo hasn’t had any trouble selling the Switch to date, and many owners are repeat buyers. As such, it’s understandable why Nintendo is playing it safe with the refresh.

The Nintendo Switch OLED model launches on October 8, 2021, at an MSRP of $349.99, the same day as Nintendo’s new Metroid game.

Permalink to story.

Nintendo and its little things always. When will they release a serious console competing with PS5 and Xbox?
Why do that when it's clear another generation of the wiiU and wander-about zelda is all they need to collect all the monies in the world?

Nintendo sells a ton of systems and games because they focus on gameplay and enjoyment instead of technical impressiveness. While it would be cool to have 4K graphics on Switch, would it really make the games any more fun?

Do we even know for sure that the internals didn't get a spec bump or DLSS?

Do we even know for sure that the internals didn't get a spec bump or DLSS?
It's theoretically possible that something changed in the chip (e.g. a clock bump), since the tech specs for all three models only mentions "CPU/GPU NVIDIA Custom Tegra processor" (https://www.nintendo.com/switch/tech-specs), but I seriously doubt they'd do that without mentioning it in ads or other marketing content. And DLSS is basically out of the question, as the new Switch and dock still top out at 1080p TV output, so it'd be very underutilized.

I don’t need or care about flashy graphics but what I do care about is a stable frame rate and a 60fps experience in dock mode for Zelda and other games. So they do need a beefier system to get to that point. Zelda just the way it is with a stable 60fps is what I wish they would do.

Of course they don't mention if they fixed the drift con issue.
Well that's caused by the controllers, not the console. Sony and microsoft still have issues too, the root cause is the cheap internals of the joysticks that are used in all 3, they come from the same company are are pure garbage.

third party controllers FTW.
So they've just tarted up the exterior, and leaving the pathetic underpowered APU internals as they are?

..talk about rolling a turd in glitter.
Yes, because games are only good if they require a fire breathing RTX 3090 to run properly.

What a joke. $350 for an extra 10 cents worth of upgrades. I could see if they made it $300 and dropped the regular switch to $250. That actually makes sense.

I would have spent $400-450 for breath of the wild in 4k and a 1080p handheld screen. They're probably waiting till next gen to cash in on 4k remasters though.

What a joke. $350 for an extra 10 cents worth of upgrades. I could see if they made it $300 and dropped the regular switch to $250. That actually makes sense.

I would have spent $400-450 for breath of the wild in 4k and a 1080p handheld screen. They're probably waiting till next gen to cash in on 4k remasters though.
A lot of people say thing, but honestly, what is nintendo supposed to use? The tegra X1 was a dead end product, nvidia hasnt made a succesful consumer ARM processor since (and yet they want to buy ARM to "ensure its success". Right). They dont have a new model ready to move to, and nintendo likely doesnt want to pony up the cash for custom silicon, and currently doesnt have a need to.

And honestly must you have everything at dithered 4k vasilene to enjoy it? Better graphics dont make a better game.

Waited this long, I guess I'll be waiting a few more years. It's 2021, I'm sorry I just can't pay $350 for that. I wouldn't even be using it as a portable to care about OLED, the standard version is outdates. Just an OLED upgrade is not really an upgrade. This news is just as horrible as their E3 showing.

I could even get this oled version, but without netflix, Disney, Spotify and similar this simply isn't robust enough device to fit into my travel needs, and for home entertainment it doesn't do better than my ps5. There are like 4 games from switch I really would like to play, but paying 350 for those few titles only is an overkill.

Lemme know where I can get 10 cent OLED screens please

Nintendo and its little things always. When will they release a serious console competing with PS5 and Xbox?
Those days are over with. Nintendo hasnt been competing against anyone since the wii. Even then they were last.
So they stopped competing and just made a device that everyone likes n can enjoy. They made billions and will continue to do so.

At market cap of $71 billion USD, they dwarf the gaming divisions of both Microsoft and Sony. I would say they compete just fine.
Having money doesn't mean you can or do compete. Cause they don't. They also realized that long ago which is why after the wii they won't do any hardware console other than a handheld. They learned and realized they could NOT compete n turned to making a handheld n not another console. Was the right move n have made billions. Prior to that they struggled to even be relevant. Switch and amiibos changed all that for them.

It's not really about Nintendo not competing with Sony and Microsoft... It's Sony and Microsoft that can't compete with Nintendo. All you have to do is look at game sales. Nintendo trumps both of them. Add in the fact that Nintendo actually sells their hardware at a profit, unlike Sony and Microsoft, and really, Nintendo is simply in a league of their own.

Sony and Microsoft were also trying to compete with Nintendo in other areas... Sony tried competing with Nintendo's handhelds with the PSP, and failed. Microsoft tried competing with the Wii by incorporating Kinect, and failed.. And so on and so on.

Strong hardware isn't everything. And this has been proven again and again and again. And Nintendo is charging this for the new Switch, because they know they can get away with it.

Those days are over with. Nintendo hasnt been competing against anyone since the wii. Even then they were last.
So they stopped competing and just made a device that everyone likes n can enjoy. They made billions and will continue to do so.
Why everyone likes... I don't like those little things. I want a real screen, in the first place. What a crappy screen size they give you, and how expensive it is.

Back