Nintendo has sold more than 10 million Switch consoles since launch

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Nintendo has sold more than 10 million Switch consoles worldwide as it aims to top first-year sales of the original Wii.

Solid Black Friday promotions helped Nintendo cross the 10 million units sold mark. If the company is able to maintain its momentum through the holiday shopping season, Nintendo could very well set some new records.

In October, Nintendo increased Switch shipment projections for the year ending March 2018, pushing the estimate up from 10 million to 14 million units. For comparison, Nintendo only sold 13.6 million Wii U consoles during its five-year lifespan.

Sales likely would have been even higher had Nintendo not run into production issues early on. That appears to be in the past, however, as most retailers I’ve seen lately have the system in stock and ready to go.

Reggie Fils-Aime, president and COO of Nintendo of America, said Nintendo’s line-up of self-published games has also fueled Switch sales. Three titles – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Super Mario Odyssey – have been purchased by more than 50 percent of Switch owners. One in four people have purchased Splatoon 2, Fils-Aime added.

The future looks bright right now for Nintendo. In 2018, Switch fans can look forward to new games like Mega Man 11, Kirby Star Allies and a few Bayonetta games, among others.

Permalink to story.

I remember Wii hunting near and far for months, so I don't doubt it should have done even better than it did. Nintendo seems to fight production issues too often, so it's refreshing to see them keeping up with demand this time around.

Love my Switch. Would recommend it for anyone.

I really am looking to get a switch, I think Nintendo have nailed it this time round, it's the first console from them I've genuinely been interested in since the GameCube.

I like the idea of the switch, and I'm sure nintendo will continue to produce good games.

but the sealed battery kinda kills it for me. Why couldnt they make the battery removable ala the 3DS? nintendo batteries last a long time, but I still dont want the console tied to a too small battery that will eventually die.

Maybe a price cut will change my mind, but ATM I will probably wait a few more years if I ever buy one.

but the sealed battery kinda kills it for me. Why couldnt they make the battery removable ala the 3DS? nintendo batteries last a long time, but I still dont want the console tied to a too small battery that will eventually die

Pick up a tri-point screw driver and the battery is suddenly replaceable - It's a breeze compared to modern phones/tablets.

Nintendo has also claimed they'll offer a paid service to replace the battery for your average user.

I like the idea of the switch, and I'm sure nintendo will continue to produce good games.

but the sealed battery kinda kills it for me. Why couldnt they make the battery removable ala the 3DS? nintendo batteries last a long time, but I still dont want the console tied to a too small battery that will eventually die.

Maybe a price cut will change my mind, but ATM I will probably wait a few more years if I ever buy one.
yea while it isnt as simple as removing a back cover, swapping the battery in the switch is in theory really easy if you source a replacement.

To put the number into more perspective, Switch did this in a year with both Mario and Zelda. Sales should slow down after the Zelda fever calms down. The PS4 sold 10mil in just 8 months this year.

To put the number into more perspective, Switch did this in a year with both Mario and Zelda. Sales should slow down after the Zelda fever calms down. The PS4 sold 10mil in just 8 months this year.

Mario released less then a month ago.
If anything sales will pick up, especially with more Nintendo games coming around, Kirby and MegaMan will sell another few million consoles alone.

Far as the PS4, great great console, but the regular PS4 is old news and can be had for cheap with the slim & Pro out now. Minus a few exclusives (none of them thaaat great) the stinkbox, PS4 and PC all have the same boring games with great graphics. I played through Halo 5 on my X1 and its been a Netflix player since.

Mario released less then a month ago.
If anything sales will pick up, especially with more Nintendo games coming around, Kirby and MegaMan will sell another few million consoles alone.

Far as the PS4, great great console, but the regular PS4 is old news and can be had for cheap with the slim & Pro out now. Minus a few exclusives (none of them thaaat great) the stinkbox, PS4 and PC all have the same boring games with great graphics. I played through Halo 5 on my X1 and its been a Netflix player since.
Never said it won't sell well, just not at such an accelerated pace. Mario, Kirby, Megaman are all great titles, but none of them did/will do what Zelda accomplished early this year. It was insane. Zelda is in the truest sense a system seller.
I also mentioned Mario because it launched near Black Friday which played a huge role in getting such high sales.

Back