Nintendo reportedly planning to re-release much of its Mario back catalog for 35th anniversary

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Nintendo is reportedly planning to commemorate the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. this year by re-releasing much of the franchise’s back catalog on the Nintendo Switch. The news was supposed to be shared at E3 but with it being cancelled, Nintendo is said to be exploring alternatives.

Sources familiar with the matter tell Eurogamer that Super Mario Galaxy is being remastered for the Switch. There’s also a new Paper Mario game in the works alongside a deluxe version of Super Mario 3D World which will include a series of new levels.

Similarly, Gematsu has heard from its sources that high-definition remasters of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine are also in the pipeline, in addition to the aforementioned Super Mario Galaxy.

VGC, meanwhile, notes that Nintendo originally planned to unveil the 35th anniversary celebration as a physical event during E3 in June. With that conference now off the table due to Covid-19 concerns, Nintendo is said to be reviewing its plans which may instead involve a digital showcase.

Nintendo’s plans are reportedly set to be revealed alongside new information about its animated Mario movie and the Super Nintendo World theme park in Japan.

When contacted by each publication, Nintendo said it does not comment on rumor and speculation.

Earlier this month, Nintendo announced a partnership with Lego to create a new product line that meshes elements of gaming with traditional brick-based playsets. Lego Super Mario is set to launch sometime later this year.

Masthead credit: Barone Firenze

Permalink to story.

Super Mario 3D World is really fun. It should be a great port since so few people actually played because the Wii U didn't sell.

I never played Mario Galaxy. Looking forward to that.

The big one here is Super Mario 64.
Galaxy/Galaxy 2/Sunshine are more recent and look fine, its no Odyssey and a remake will look better I am sure, but they still look good.
Mario 64 comes from an era with a far inferior polygon count for models, texture mipmapping and quality. A remake with real-time grass, reflections, water, sunlight, snow falling, ext ext would really be interesting. I've seen Mario 64 redone some/a little with the Unreal Engine and its quite awesome.

Last edited:
The big one here is Super Mario 64.
Galaxy/Galaxy 2/Sunshine are more recent and look fine, its no Odyssey and a remake will look better I am sure, but they still look good.
Mario 64 comes from an era with a far inferior polygon count for models, texture mipmapping and quality. A remake with real-time grass, reflections, water, sunlight, snow falling, ext ext would really be interesting. I've seen Mario 64 redone some a little with the Unreal Engine and its quite awesome.
I remember when I got this for my N64. At the time, it was mind blowing.

That's all Nintendo is good for MARIO and Zelda once every so many years, when will people stop buying this crap?

Back