Solved Not sure if a virus, or a windows error?

enderlicious

I've got a stubborn undeleteable file.

I'm on a 32bit windows XP, and I've tried unlocker (which for some reason won't run now, and I can't find a webpage to figure that out, since google just brings up: you can't use this with 64bit...).

I've tried LockHunter and FileASSASSIN, both of which say that they can't affect the file, since the file doesn't have a valid name. But the name: beacon.js - looks completely valid to me.

Attachments

• undeletable.png
    undeletable.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 3
Why exactly do you need to delete that file?
What is the file name and location?

Because I like having clean directories. Also, it's a power and control issue, the damn computer is s'posed to do what I tell it to do, especially for non-system folders.

F:\Transfers\delete_me\Web_2011-05-31\pinkielicious_files\daisy_data_003\daisy_data\daisy_data\daisy_data\daisy_data\virtue_none_ugc_data\aT03NzYscz0zMDB4MjUwLG49aWZyYW1lLGI9MA_data\iframe3_data\aT0xMTgyLHM9MzAweDI1MCxuPWlmcmFtZSxiPTA_data\

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2

64-bit users go HERE
  • Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Vista users:: Right click on SystemLook.exe, click Run As Administrator
  • Copy the content of the following box and paste it into the main textfield:
    Code:
    :file
    F:\Transfers\delete_me\Web_2011-05-31\pinkielicious_files\daisy_data_003\daisy_data\daisy_data\daisy_data\daisy_data\virtue_none_ugc_data\aT03NzYscz0zMDB4MjUwLG49aWZyYW1lLGI9MA_data\iframe3_data\aT0xMTgyLHM9MzAweDI1MCxuPWlmcmFtZSxiPTA_data\beacon.js
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

SystemLook 30.07.11 by jpshortstuff
Log created at 21:57 on 15/09/2012 by primary
Administrator - Elevation successful

========== file ==========

F:\Transfers\delete_me\Web_2011-05-31\pinkielicious_files\daisy_data_003\daisy_data\daisy_data\daisy_data\daisy_data\virtue_none_ugc_data\aT03NzYscz0zMDB4MjUwLG49aWZyYW1lLGI9MA_data\iframe3_data\aT0xMTgyLHM9MzAweDI1MCxuPWlmcmFtZSxiPTA_data\beacon.js - Unable to find/read file.

-= EOF =-

Hmm, that's an interesting output - but I can select it and get properties on it.

3.36 KB (3,441 bytes)
Sunday, August 12, 2012, 7:40:17 PM
Tuesday, May 31, 2011, 12:12:18 PM
Yesterday, September 14, 2012, 6:13:01 AM

Last question, do you know why Unlocker isn't starting/running (and would that application have done the job?). I used Unlocker awhile back, and rather liked it (esp. its small filesize).

Awhile back I did, when I couldn't get it to launch. Let me try again.

Hmm, didn't find it on add/remove programs (but did just bash LockHunter)

Found it in the folder "unlocker1.9.0-portable" (which readme claims it does both 32 & 64 bit stuff) - tried applications again, no dice. Hmm, also found a leftover folder for LockHunter - going to try removing both folders and deleting. Can't delete folders. Killed a process for Unlocker Assistant. UnlockerHook.dll is in use... Irony! :D

Okay, going to try a reboot and see if that frees them up, then I'll be back to edit this reply more. Rebooting let me delete both of those dlls.

Well, tried a reinstall.

Main webpage links to here:
http://www.brothersoft.com/download-unlocker-portable-431245.html

I get nothing but a 'do you want to run this unknown program' warning after clicking on it. Zero for drag-n-drop. How should I be testing this?

So, we're going with the assumption that the portable version is a fail?

I try and use portable versions, so I can see if they work - and then add them to the thumb-drive for use when I'm visiting other people's computers / at the library. Since people get antsy when you tell them to install programs on their computers.

Back