Nvidia acknowledges CPU usage spikes in GeForce driver 531.18

Daniel Sims

Staff
Facepalm: Nvidia GPU users who have recently noticed abnormally high CPU usage after exiting games should know the company is aware of the issue and is developing a hotfix. Those seriously impacted by the problem should consider temporarily rolling back the driver.

Nvidia updated its list of known issues for GeForce driver 531.18 to acknowledge user reports of high CPU usage after exiting games. Developers are working on a hotfix, which will arrive on Tuesday.

Some users reported noticing CPU usage increased by up to 15 percent after closing out of a game. Checking the Process tab revealed that the Nvidia Container was the culprit. To be more precise, the latest version of the Nvidia Game Session Telemetry Plugin seems to be the source of the issue.

Most users probably shouldn't mess with Nvidia driver files, as neutralizing the DLL file requires deleting or moving it with administrator privileges. However, for those who feel comfortable doing so, blocking or removing the plugin's DLL file can fix the issue. Some Redditors posted instructions for doing this if you're up to it.

An extra 10-15 percent of CPU usage might not bother some, but it could impact CPU-intensive tasks. Those who need an immediate solution and don't want to mess with internal files should reboot their PCs after exiting a game or roll back to an earlier driver until the hotfix arrives.

Nvidia also added a few other known issues to the notes for 531.18. It may sometimes cause Adobe Premiere Pro and Assassin's Creed Origins to crash. Additionally, laptop users with GeForce GTX 10 series, MX250, or MX350 GPUs might see a random bugcheck.

While the issue may inconvenience some, Nvidia's driver problems have been mild compared to those AMD experienced recently. After users of most Radeon GPUs had to wait two months for new drivers, February's Adrenalin 23.2.1 release bricked some Windows installations, albeit in extremely rare cases. Team Red is working on an official solution to the problem, but unchecking the "Factory Reset" box when installing the drivers should prevent it from emerging.

Permalink to story.

Hmm. I haven't looked to see if I'm affected, but I also use NVCleanstall with telemetry removed so maybe I'm safe because if that, idk. I'll check for higher cpu usage tomorrow anyway.

Let's see how the faboys react to the fact that Nvidia's software is also buggy.
AMD has more to lose.

But if you wanna go tit for tat, we've all just read about this issue today along with Nvidia's acknowledgement and a hotfix coming tomorrow in the same article.

AMD waited how long to acknowledge their driver borking Windows installs?
And how long between 6000 series driver updates?

Last edited:
AMD is chasing Nvidia, not the other way around, so the issue would have to be severe to be worth worrying about.

But if you wanna go tit for tat, we've all just read about this issue today along with Nvidia's acknowledgement and a hotfix coming tomorrow in the same article.

AMD waited how long?
I don't know, but I waited 1 year for Nvidia to fix a bug that prevented me from playing ME: Andromeda :p

React to what? What's the alternative? AMD's absolute buffoonery of bugs and driver issues?
The summary is that you have the Bad Experience Spyware Editon that looks like XP era software and forces you to create an account to receive spam, or also Adrenalin(buggy) but much more polished and full of resources.

I used Laptops with Nvidia and PC with AMD GPU, So I can guarantee that both sides always had bugs, a few years ago the proportion of problems was more evident on the red side, but now it's almost the same frequency. I just avoid beta drivers.

AMD has more to lose.

AMD waited how long to acknowledge their driver borking Windows installs?
And how long between 6000 series driver updates?
This is undoubtedly Nvidia driver bug.

However "AMD driver breaking Windows installs" -bug was indeed not driver bug but Windows problem: https://www.techspot.com/community/...cted-of-bricking-windows-installations.279413
We have reproduced an issue that can occur in an extremely small number of instances if a PC update occurs during the installation of AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition, and we are actively investigating.
Basically do not install drivers when Windows update is running at same time. That's user error, nothing wrong with AMD drivers as I said. Nvidia drivers suck this time 😉

AMD wake up, lower your GPU prices or you can't even keep the 9% marketshare you currently has.

AMD wake up, lower your GPU prices or you can't even keep the 9% marketshare you currently has.
Wrong topic?

Btw, If AMD had such a low market share, it wouldn't even be making GPUs.The 7900XTX price is excellent from a realistic perspective of the world. only the XT version should have slightly cheaper MSRP.

Nvidia is very good at getting into people's minds just like Apple.

You should wake up. AMD has PC GPU market share around 12% (while Nvidia has around 17%).

Nah, you should.

Nvidia has 80-85% of dedicated GPU market.
AMD has around 10-15%
Intel has like 5% (however dominates in iGPU market)

AMD is doing worse and worse, as you can see.

Steam GPU share; https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

AMD 14.93% and barely any GPUs in TOP 20, Nvidia dominates completely

Keep believing AMD is doing good in the GPU space if you want. I could not care less if you deny facts. I work with B2B in Europe and I see shipping manifests + sales. AMD is doing miserable in terms of GPU sales compared to Nvidia.

Unless AMD wakes up, they will be looking at sub 10% dGPU marketshare very soon. Went downhill for years and MCM was not the savior AMD thought it would be.

Also, Nvidia completely destroys AMD in terms of enterprise GPU market.

AMD needs a good value GPU ASAP, maybe 7700 and 7800 series will save them.

Last edited:
Nah, you should.

AMD has around 10-15%

Steam GPU share; https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Yeah, that's what I said. Nvidia only dominates on discrete GPU market. FYI, it's not about revenue or selling price, it's about Units. What do you think, why should AMD make discrete GPUs that cannot even match their own APUs? Why does Nvidia make them? Here is complete list of Nvidia CPUs for PC:

-

Steam survey is buggy as hell, proven many times. No need to even argue about that.
Keep believing AMD is doing good in the GPU space if you want. I could not care less if you deny facts. I work with B2B in Europe and I see shipping manifests + sales. AMD is doing miserable in terms of GPU sales compared to Nvidia.

Unless AMD wakes up, they will be looking at sub 10% dGPU marketshare very soon. Went downhill for years and MCM was not the savior AMD thought it would be.
That's not wonder. Intel also sells well despite AMD winning almost everywhere. It just proves B2B buyers are full of *****s. Nothing new there, been watching same for decades.

FYI, AMD has already released two MCM GPUs for consumer space.

Yeah, that's what I said. Nvidia only dominates on discrete GPU market. FYI, it's not about revenue or selling price, it's about Units. What do you think, why should AMD make discrete GPUs that cannot even match their own APUs? Why does Nvidia make them? Here is complete list of Nvidia CPUs for PC:

-

Steam survey is buggy as hell, proven many times. No need to even argue about that.

That's not wonder. Intel also sells well despite AMD winning almost everywhere. It just proves B2B buyers are full of *****s. Nothing new there, been watching same for decades.

FYI, AMD has already released two MCM GPUs for consumer space.

We are talking about GPUs here, why mention CPUs :joy:

AMDs iGPUs are pretty much trash on desktop market and mostly OEM sales. I have tried 5700G and performance was a joke in games. Low fps and can barely play games in 1080p, even struggles in 720p in many games.

Intel is the biggest in the world when it comes to iGPUs. It's trash for gaming yep, just like AMDs, however most people that settle with an iGPU don't need good 3D perf. If they did, they would be using a dGPU.

Steam Survey is not buggy at all, it gives a good representation of what pc gamers use and how small AMDs marketshare is. My 2nd link also prove this. Don't be afraid to accept facts.

AMD owns (almost) 100% of the x86 console market tho, sadly Sony and Microsoft are the winners here, not AMD :p

Nvidia earns more on Switch sales than AMD does on PS5 and XSX sales per unit sold...
Nvidia dominates AMD when it comes to ARM. AMD better wake up and get some ARM chips out because tons of devices and servers will use ARM going forward.

Jim Keller even said it was a mistake by AMD to can ARM.
And AMD wants back in the market. Because ARM will be huge in 5-10 years for PCs etc.

Waky waky AMD. Less x86 focus, more dGPU and ARM focus.

Last edited:

AMDs iGPUs are pretty much trash on desktop market and mostly OEM sales. I have tried 5700G and performance was a joke in games. Low fps and can barely play games in 1080p, even struggles in 720p in many games.

Intel is the biggest in the world when it comes to iGPUs. It's trash for gaming yep, just like AMDs, however most people that settle with an iGPU don't need good 3D perf. If they did, they would be using a dGPU.
🤦‍♂️

Nvidia non-discrete GPU market share is 0%.

5700G that you call "joke" is much faster than many Nvidia discrete GPUs. And there you had it. More AMD makes non-discrete GPUs less AMD sell discrete GPUs. Once again, every discrete GPU counts as one. No matter if it's GT710 or RTX 4090. That seems to be new for many.
Steam Survey is not buggy at all, it gives a good representation of what pc gamers use and how small AMDs marketshare is. My 2nd link also prove this. Don't be afraid to accept facts.

AMD owns (almost) 100% of the x86 console market tho, sadly Sony and Microsoft are the winners here, not AMD :p

Nvidia earns more on Switch sales than AMD does on PS5 and XSX sales per unit sold...
Nvidia dominates AMD when it comes to ARM. AMD better wake up and get some ARM chips out because tons of devices and servers will use ARM going forward.

And AMD wants back in the market. Because ARM will be huge in 5-10 years for PCs etc.

🤦‍♂️ What has current Steam survey to do with Current GPU shipments? Steam survey only count GPUs shipped last 6 months?

So far AMD seems to do well without ARM. I have heard those things like x86 will be dead in 10 years for decades now. First was somewhere around 1986. Almost 40 years and x86 still goes.

When it comes to Jim Keller, he is chip architect. He is not marketing person. In other words, Keller may consider it stupid but then again, for what market should AMD have pushed ARM? Consoles do well with x86. Desktop, mobile, servers... So for what? AMD has no problem developing ARM cores quickly if there really are market for them.

AMD focused on dGPUs but stupid people still bought Nvidia. AMD does not bother any more.

Nah, you should.

AMD has around 10-15%

Also, Nvidia completely destroys AMD in terms of enterprise GPU market.

AMD needs a good value GPU ASAP, maybe 7700 and 7800 series will save them.

APUs are amazing to many people, you build an inexpensive, compact, and efficient system that runs some of today's most popular games. the 4600G for example is only $100-120, . Not to mention that the primary focus of APUs is laptops, where efficiency is the most important point. The vega 7 has almost the same performance as the 5700G's Vega 8.

Steam research sucks and here it's off by default, wonder in how many other countries this option is banned from being turned on by default.

According to data from local importers, Nvidia has around 70-75% market share, AMD around 20-23%, intel at best 2%.
--

AMD already has ARM licenses, but ARM on desktops and servers is a waste of sand, much more silicon used to end up with less performance than last generation EPYC. From now on you will see many more ASICs integrated into CPUs and GPUs according to need, the current customization capacity due to the extensive range of AMD's IP(GPU, CPU, FPGA) makes it the company with the most potential on the market, imagine the integration of technology from 3D cache and Xilinx IP on Samsung/Qualcomm/Console SOCs.

:)
This topic’s bringing back memories of “Ford vs. Chevy” days, haha.

Off topic: HardReset, I like your username. 7tb+ of games and I still enjoy that one!

🤦‍♂️

Nvidia non-discrete GPU market share is 0%.

5700G that you call "joke" is much faster than many Nvidia discrete GPUs. And there you had it. More AMD makes non-discrete GPUs less AMD sell discrete GPUs. Once again, every discrete GPU counts as one. No matter if it's GT710 or RTX 4090. That seems to be new for many.

🤦‍♂️ What has current Steam survey to do with Current GPU shipments? Steam survey only count GPUs shipped last 6 months?

So far AMD seems to do well without ARM. I have heard those things like x86 will be dead in 10 years for decades now. First was somewhere around 1986. Almost 40 years and x86 still goes.

When it comes to Jim Keller, he is chip architect. He is not marketing person. In other words, Keller may consider it stupid but then again, for what market should AMD have pushed ARM? Consoles do well with x86. Desktop, mobile, servers... So for what? AMD has no problem developing ARM cores quickly if there really are market for them.

AMD focused on dGPUs but stupid people still bought Nvidia. AMD does not bother any more.

5700G is a huge joke for gaming, maybe you should read reviews, performance is terrible and you need to drop to 720p to get just playable results. You are better off just buying a cheap dGPU, even a several year old dGPU will destroy it. I tried one and it was miserable.

99.9% of people that use an iGPU use them for 2D only and Intel dominates the market and have done for years - AMD is not even close. Nvidia don't care at all about this market, obviously.

AMD is doing worse than ever when it comes to GPU market, lets zoom in this time; https://overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2022/11/29160939924l.jpg

Heard of Apple M1/M2? ARM is coming for real now. ARM today can replace tons of x86 chips while consuming 1/10 the power. Laptops lasts for days without charging and does everyday tasks just as fast as x86.

Even in the enterprise market, ARM is growing fast in datacenters. It's closing in on 10% marketshare by Q1 2023. Analysts predict 50% markeyshare by 2026. Will AMD wake up soon?

People bought Nvidia because AMD wanted to much for worse features. This is why Nvidia dominates easily. AMD needs to deliver much better perf per dollar than Nvidia, or people will simply go Nvidia. Most games run better on Nvidia anyway, because game devs knows 90% use Nvidia. Why would they optimize for the 10% using AMD when they can target most of the pc gaming market by optimizing for Nvidia, it's that simple. Also, Nvidia works closely with many game dev's. AMD does not.

I know it's hard to accept that Nvidia dominates the GPU market, but they are. AMD needs to rethink their plan, because no-one is paying Nvidia prices for AMD hardware.

AMDs best selling GPUs have ALWAYS been cheap cards with decent perf like RX480/470/580/570 etc.

5700XT was good, after black screen issues and overheating VRM issues got fixed, sadly it took them almost 1 year before they did that haha - Google and you will find 1000s of posts about it, worse GPU release in recent times. Rushed out to replace Radeon VII, yeah, the GPU that went EoL after 3-4 months :p and Fury lineup that aged like milk because of 4GB VRAM.

Last edited:
5700G is a huge joke for gaming, maybe you should read reviews, performance is terrible and you need to drop to 720p to get just playable results. You are better off just buying a cheap dGPU, even a several year old dGPU will destroy it. I tried one and it was miserable.

99.9% of people that use an iGPU use them for 2D only and Intel dominates the market and have done for years - AMD is not even close. Nvidia don't care at all about this market, obviously.

AMD is doing worse than ever when it comes to GPU market, lets zoom in this time; https://overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2022/11/29160939924l.jpg

Heard of Apple M1/M2? ARM is coming for real now. ARM today can replace tons of x86 chips while consuming 1/10 the power. Laptops lasts for days without charging and does everyday tasks just as fast as x86.

Even in the enterprise market, ARM is growing fast in datacenters. It's closing in on 10% marketshare by Q1 2023. Analysts predict 50% markeyshare by 2026. Will AMD wake up soon?

People bought Nvidia because AMD wanted to much for worse features. This is why Nvidia dominates easily. AMD needs to deliver much better perf per dollar than Nvidia, or people will simply go Nvidia. Most games run better on Nvidia anyway, because game devs knows 90% use Nvidia. Why would they optimize for the 10% using AMD when they can target most of the pc gaming market by optimizing for Nvidia, it's that simple. Also, Nvidia works closely with many game dev's. AMD does not.

I know it's hard to accept that Nvidia dominates the GPU market, but they are. AMD needs to rethink their plan, because no-one is paying Nvidia prices for AMD hardware.

AMDs best selling GPUs have ALWAYS been cheap cards with decent perf like RX480/470/580/570 etc.

5700XT was good, after black screen issues and overheating VRM issues got fixed, sadly it took them almost 1 year before they did that haha - Google and you will find 1000s of posts about it, worse GPU release in recent times. Rushed out to replace Radeon VII, yeah, the GPU that went EoL after 3-4 months :p and Fury lineup that aged like milk because of 4GB VRAM.
I thought you were just a misinformed person, but you're just a fanboy spreading misinformation. I stopped paying attention when you started praising apple crap, which loses to AMD even the latter using an inferior lithography.

I think you should read 5700G review https://www.techspot.com/review/2293-amd-ryzen-5700g/

It beats cheapest dGPUs and is not supposed to do more.

Nvidia Coudln't care since, like I previously said, Nvidia has no CPU for PC. No CPU, no iGPU *nerd* https://overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2022/11/29160939924l.jpg

Analyst predictions, well...

IDC expects Itanium server shipments to reach $7.5 billion in 2007, a drop from its previous forecast of $8.7 billion
In 2000, it expected 2004 Itanium server sales to reach $28 billion.
Yeah right. Also some ARM customers are developing own chips.

AMD has 100% of consoles so every console game is optimized for AMD unless Nvidia pays developers. So why would developers waste time to optimize marginal Nvidia users?

Many times AMD offered better products than Nvidia with lower prices. But since people bought Nvidia anyway, AMD just don't care any more. Thanks to stupid people for that one. Now same morons cry Intel to bring some competition. Reminds me of server buyers that refuse buy better AMD CPUs and then complain about Intel CPU prices 🤦‍♂️
Wait until they find out that Nvidia responded to an issue a week after the driver was released and didnt need 6 months of media attention to do so!
Perhaps because that was Nvidias fault only and problem is very easy to reproduce?

I think you should read 5700G review https://www.techspot.com/review/2293-amd-ryzen-5700g/

It beats cheapest dGPUs and is not supposed to do more.

Nvidia Coudln't care since, like I previously said, Nvidia has no CPU for PC. No CPU, no iGPU *nerd* https://overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2022/11/29160939924l.jpg

Analyst predictions, well...

Yeah right. Also some ARM customers are developing own chips.

AMD has 100% of consoles so every console game is optimized for AMD unless Nvidia pays developers. So why would developers waste time to optimize marginal Nvidia users?

Many times AMD offered better products than Nvidia with lower prices. But since people bought Nvidia anyway, AMD just don't care any more. Thanks to stupid people for that one. Now same morons cry Intel to bring some competition. Reminds me of server buyers that refuse buy better AMD CPUs and then complain about Intel CPU prices 🤦‍♂️

Perhaps because that was Nvidias fault only and problem is very easy to reproduce?
I believe he was referring to pc drivers which many devs have favored Nvidia as they dominate on PC. Consoles do NOT use the same drivers.

Back