Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super vs. AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT: 2020 Update

Julio Franco

Staff member
Why are you even comparing 2 cards from 2 different price segments ? One is 400$ and the other is 500$+ and 5700XT never intended to compete with a (down-graded) 2080 which is the 2070S .

"this is a devastating result for the Radeon" Really ?! It's funny that you only turn DLSS on for the Nvidia card and not using the similar feature for the AMD graphics . AMD also has Image Sharpening and Adaptive Resolution .

How the hell you're comparing 2070S with DLSS with a 20+% cheaper card not enabling its similar feature is beyond me

Last edited by a moderator:
2070 Super? No thanks. £150 more for a card that only gives a few fps performance gain in SOME titles?

How can you recommend this? Unbelievable.

How about some benchmarks regarding the performance difference between RTX enabled vs disabled for the RTX20** series cards. You might even be the first publication to do so! Give us...the consumer, something useful to guide our purchasing.

Why are you even comparing 2 cards from 2 different price segments ? One is 400$ and the other is 500$+ and 5700XT never intended to compete with a (down-graded) 2080 which is the 2070S .

"this is a devastating result for the Radeon" Really ?! It's funny that you only turn DLSS on for the Nvidia card and not using the similar feature for the AMD graphics . AMD also has Image Sharpening and Adaptive Resolution .

How the hell you're comparing 2070S with DLSS with a 20+% cheaper card not enabling its similar feature is beyond me
Can you not read?

"many of you wanted an update between the 5700 XT and the more expensive RTX 2070 Super, as well as the inclusion of DLSS results for the games that support the much improved DLSS 2.0."

They did the comparison 5700XT - 2060S last week, any many people requested this new comparison. It's not that hard to understand (if you can read...)

How can you recommend this? Unbelievable.

It's unbelievable, and that's why they're not recommending it... Again, can you read?

"When looking at today's pricing, the GeForce costs 20% more with most cards on retail starting around $520 and up, while we could also find plenty of 5700 XT's available around the $400 MSRP or slightly above it for the better equipped models, which we fully recommend."

They recommend the 5700XT, it's there. Can you read?

Could DLSS 2.0 be the first feature Nvidia makes that is not a useless gimmick? I would be impressed if the game support was decent but they always struggled in that area.

I'm not going to bother with the first part of your comment, if you can't work it out I feel that's a you problem.

As for the DLSS comment. No, you can't simply use RIS and that makes it all okay. Nvidia also has an image sharpening technology which is arguably better, so that neutralizes RIS. Moreover, Nvidia's image sharpening filter can be used with DLSS.

It's unbelievable, and that's why they're not recommending it... Again, can you read?
"When looking at today's pricing, the GeForce costs 20% more with most cards on retail starting around $520 and up, while we could also find plenty of 5700 XT's available around the $400 MSRP or slightly above it for the better equipped models, which we fully recommend."
They recommend the 5700XT, it's there. Can you read?

I'd say they're more a picture book kind of person.

Last edited:
"Nvidia has done a great job of reinventing what DLSS is and how it works. They have without question come a long way from those horribly blurry initial implementations, so kudos to them. The problem is now game support, we need a lot more of it, but we believe you’ll only see DLSS support in Nvidia sponsored titles (Nvidia GameWorks) and if that is the case, not enough games will see DLSS support."

DLSS 2.0 is the most compelling feature nVidia has that would compel me to even consider going Team Green again. But unless nVidia finds a way for something resembling plug and play implementation, it's a DOA.

The 5700 XT is a good value. I just bought a 2070 Super, but probably would have gotten a 5700 XT if I didn't have a G Sync monitor. Also, I was able to find a 2070 Super on sale for $460. I don't think I would have paid $500.

5700 XT @ $400 > 2070 Super @ $500+.

"Nvidia has done a great job of reinventing what DLSS is and how it works. They have without question come a long way from those horribly blurry initial implementations, so kudos to them. The problem is now game support, we need a lot more of it, but we believe you’ll only see DLSS support in Nvidia sponsored titles (Nvidia GameWorks) and if that is the case, not enough games will see DLSS support."

DLSS 2.0 is the most compelling feature nVidia has that would compel me to even consider going Team Green again. But unless nVidia finds a way for something resembling plug and play implementation, it's a DOA.

^This

The fact that DLSS 2.0 doesn't work for titles that have DLSS 1.0 is telling. It's not a drop in replacement. It's not remotely similar. It's a complete refactoring that requires serious extra effort to implement it. Just like PhysX was great for the few titles that actually used it, DLSS 2.0 seems to be following that route.

^This

The fact that DLSS 2.0 doesn't work for titles that have DLSS 1.0 is telling. It's not a drop in replacement. It's not remotely similar. It's a complete refactoring that requires serious extra effort to implement it. Just like PhysX was great for the few titles that actually used it, DLSS 2.0 seems to be following that route.

Yeah may be do a little bit of research dude. Techspot does have an article about DLSS 2.0

"On the positive side, Nvidia claims DLSS is much easier to integrate now and getting DLSS in games on launch day with quality equivalent to Youngblood's implementtion should be very achievable."

Minecraft RTX beta was released on April 16th with DLSS.

I guess Nvidia's data centers are swarmed with "human malware" research right now so the DLSS roll out for older games might be slower than expected but for new games, especially RTX games will have DLSS on day one.

"Bottom line, while we think the 5700 XT is somewhat of an obvious choice when compared to the similarly priced 2060 Super, the right choice is less obvious when comparing with the RTX 2070 Super. For most gamers targeting 1080p or 1440p the Radeon RX 5700 XT offers the best value, but if you’re seeking maximum performance at 1440p or beyond, then the 2070 Super might be worth spending a little extra on." (from the article)
I can read...And unlike you I can also comprehend what I've read, and can see through some of the BS regarding pricing.

isn't it mind boggling when 2060 Super and 2070 Super (especially the cheap models) are selling out while 5700XT isn't ? something telling me people are avoiding 5700XT as much as possible.

Last edited:
Yeah may be do a little bit of research dude. Techspot does have an article about DLSS 2.0

"On the positive side, Nvidia claims DLSS is much easier to integrate now and getting DLSS in games on launch day with quality equivalent to Youngblood's implementtion should be very achievable."

Minecraft RTX beta was released on April 16th with DLSS.

I guess Nvidia's data centers are swarmed with "human malware" research right now so the DLSS roll out for older games might be slower than expected but for new games, especially RTX games will have DLSS on day one.

I have. When games actually implement it, then you'll have a point. Until then, this is the same company's marketing group that promised the moon with wide-spread, easy applications of DLSS 1.0 and that never appeared in wide use or good quality.

How far away are we from 7nm Nvidia cards and Big Navi? Surely no more than 5 or 6 months. Turing is over 18 months old now.

At this point I wouldn't be buying any $400 GPU. If you must you must, but in 6 months you'll probably find 2070 Super performance is $250. If not from Nvidia then from AMD instead.

That's not necessarily wishful thinking, if you look at how the last major process node transition went. GTX1060 3GB had comparable performance to the previous GTX970 for example, taking a $399 card down to $199.

I have. When games actually implement it, then you'll have a point. Until then, this is the same company's marketing group that promised the moon with wide-spread, easy applications of DLSS 1.0 and that never appeared in wide use or good quality.

Nvidia just announced DLSS 2.0 on Mar 23rd, so less than a month ago and there are 4 playable games and a beta available. Sure DLSS 1.0 sucked, that's why Nvidia scrapped it entirely and went on to develop a DLSS 2.0.
Once Techspot benchmark suite include more DLSS games, the value proposition of 2070 Super will just go up. And yeah Cyberpunk 2077 will definitely have DLSS 2.0

2070 users = proper mugs
AMD 10 bit 1 billion colours.
Nvidia 8 bit 16 million colours.
Pay more get less

bla..bla..bla all talk and no proof

Last edited:
The question should be which one is more future proof to handle next generation graphics? Anything below spec of next gen consoles is a commodity at this point.
Also does anyone know when Crysis remastered is coming?

Nvidia just announced DLSS 2.0 on Mar 23rd, so less than a month ago and there are 4 playable games and a beta available. Sure DLSS 1.0 sucked, that's why Nvidia scrapped it entirely and went on to develop a DLSS 2.0.
Once Techspot benchmark suite include more DLSS games, the value proposition of 2070 Super will just go up. And yeah Cyberpunk 2077 will definitely have DLSS 2.0

bla..bla..bla all talk and no proof

Go set 10 bit then. Good luck with that.

The question should be which one is more future proof to handle next generation graphics? Anything below spec of next gen consoles is a commodity at this point.
Also does anyone know when Crysis remastered is coming?
AMD usually has hardware that ages well and overtakes Nvidia equivalent over time but we can't know for sure if that's always gonna happen. If margins stay the same, faster GPU is gonna be more future proof obviously but I doubt the whole "future proof" concept as people buy new future proof hardware every year or two which is ironic.

Because:
1) They're on the same performance tier, and
2) The 2060S was already pitted against the 5700 XT. This leaves the higher-performing 2070S to Duke it out with the 5700 XT, which performs similarly.

Besides, I make use of RIS (or FidelityFX when available) in tandem with Radeon Boost (or the in-game dynamic resolution scaling) and integer scaling. DLSS 2 is great in Wolfenstein, for sure, but what I can do with AMD is more widely available across several games with little-to-no performance and visual impact. It's basic by comparison, but I think RDNA 2 will utilize similar technology to Turing at a more local level. Think in the CU level for cache and RT. But that's a different discussion altogether.

How far away are we from 7nm Nvidia cards and Big Navi? Surely no more than 5 or 6 months. Turing is over 18 months old now.

At this point I wouldn't be buying any $400 GPU. If you must you must, but in 6 months you'll probably find 2070 Super performance is $250. If not from Nvidia then from AMD instead.

That's not necessarily wishful thinking, if you look at how the last major process node transition went. GTX1060 3GB had comparable performance to the previous GTX970 for example, taking a $399 card down to $199.
I would avoid using That example as you Don't typically see Nvidia improve that drastically in a generation. It's an outlier generation that definitely have Nvidia the room to price gouge Turing customers.

We see Minecraft ray traced demo in Xbox X right? Since the videogame will run every game at 60fps@4k and Rtx2080ti run the same title at 40fps without dlls I think RDNA 2 will have a improved solution to selected Nvidia dlls games.
This is the worth time to buy new vga ever.
Let's wait for rdna2/ampere gpu and buy a 5700xt for U$200 or 2070s for U$230

Back