Nvidia might end RTX 4070 Ti and 4080 production ahead of Super variants' CES launch

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: Nvidia is rumored to have discontinued mass production of the RTX 4070 Ti and RTX 4080 ahead of what's believed to be the cards' Super-variant launch. While this should be taken with a healthy grain of salt, it's not the first time we've heard claims that the RTX 4080 was being discontinued in favor of the Super version.

The new rumor comes from Chinese site Board Channels (via VideoCardz). It's alleged that Nvidia announced the discontinuation of the RTX 4070 Ti and RTX 4080 to board partners, stopping mass production and implementing an inventory cut-off.

It's important to note the difference between a card being discontinued, which means it will no longer be manufactured at all, and stopping mass production, which may be temporary as Nvidia focuses on other models - I.e., the Super variants - that share some components. Both terms are mentioned on Board Channels.

This isn't the first time we've heard Nvidia might discontinue a card in favor of its upcoming Super variant. The same rumor circulated last month regarding the RTX 4080. Chinese retailers were reportedly stocking up on the card ahead of the 4080 being replaced by its Super version, and manufacturers were said to be increasing shipments. This is the first we've heard of the RTX 4070 Ti sharing the same fate, though.

The RTX 4080 launched exactly one year ago today, while the RTX 4070 Ti only arrived at the start of January. Killing them off or stopping mass production so quickly will likely annoy those who bought one, including this RTX 4070 Ti owner, but we've heard that the Super variants might carry the same price tag as their vanilla counterparts, encouraging consumers to opt for the more powerful versions.

Nvidia has yet to officially announce the Super cards or even hint at their arrival. There have been rumors that Team Green will unveil them at CES in January – the same event where it revealed the RTX 4070 Ti 11 months ago. That claim looked more likely last week when the company confirmed that it was holding a Special Address on January 8.

The RTX 4080 Super is believed to feature the AD103-400 GPU with the full 10,240 cores and 16GB of GDDR6X VRAM alongside a 256-bit bus interface. The RTX 4070 Super, meanwhile, is expected to feature AD104-350 or AD103-175 SKU configurations with the same 7,168 cores in both versions.

There have also been reports of an unlikely-sounding RTX 4070 Ti Super being in the works. We even saw alleged photos of the packaging a few weeks ago.

Permalink to story.

Laughing at all the poor nvidia fans "when the Supers come out it'll drop the prices of the older cards so I can afford them"

"HAHAHA good one!"- Nvidia

I'd be pretty salty if I had picked up a 4080 only to have it replaced by a better spec'd part at the same price point only a year later.

Early adopter tax.

This is precisely why I buy everything hardware approximately 2-3 years after initial release. You get the best price for value without being too far behind the ability to play Triple A titles. I've paid for the 760, 1070, and 3070 and nearly 50% of their initial prices. the early adopters will always be losing money.

This is precisely why I buy everything hardware approximately 2-3 years after initial release. You get the best price for value without being too far behind the ability to play Triple A titles. I've paid for the 760, 1070, and 3070 and nearly 50% of their initial prices. the early adopters will always be losing money.

- I'm a used part guy myself, always build a top end machine right at the end of a generation while everyone is offloading their top end parts for bottom bin dollars with the expectation that the next gen is going to quadruple performance etc.

Current machine is a 5800x3d and 6800xt system I managed to build in October 2022 for $1,100 in that gap between the RTX4xxx series announce and launch. Replaced a 6600K + 980Ti machine that I did the same with.

6 months earlier the same PC would have likely run $3000. Also keep parts out of the landfill and give the carbon that went into them some more life.

I'd be pretty salty if I had picked up a 4080 only to have it replaced by a better spec'd part at the same price point only a year later.

Early adopter tax.

Nah, I went ahead and bought a 4080 yesterday with a nice black friday discount and a copy of Alan Wake 2, right after reading all about the upcoming Supers. A few percent difference for a Super hardly takes the series into a wholly different performance class so I'm not sure why anyone would feel salty.

Happily set for this generation and I expect to be just fine for quite a considerable amount of time, certainly until the 50xx series becomes widely available.

Back