Over 70 new laptops will feature GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In a nutshell: During Nvidia's "Game On" press event on Tuesday, the company announced its Ampere architecture is coming to a laptop near you. The company says its GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs will power more than 70 laptop models in 2021 starting at around $1,000.

Nvidia claims its new GeForce RTX 30 series laptop cards are up to 100 percent more energy-efficient and powerful enough to handle ray tracing on demanding games such as Cyberpunk 2077. The laptops are just as practical for content creators who may use any of the hundreds of hardware-accelerated apps in their work.

"After taking the desktop market by storm, our NVIDIA Ampere architecture is now powering the world's fastest laptops," said Kaustubh Sanghani, vice president and general manager of GeForce OEM at NVIDIA. "Nowhere does power efficiency matter more than in gaming laptops, a market that's grown 7x in the past seven years. These new thin and light systems are based on our Max-Q technologies, where every aspect — CPU, GPU, software, PCB design, power delivery, thermals — is optimized for power and performance."

At the lower end, Nvidia offers the GeForce RTX 3060, which it claims can deliver 90fps at 1080p on the most recent games set to "ultra." RTX 3060 models will start at $999 and have better performance than GeForce RTX 2080 Super laptops, which go for around $2,500.

It's mid-range GeForce RTX 3070 can push 1440p to 90fps at ultra settings. Nvidia says these units are 50-percent faster than those sporting an RTX 2070. These laptops will start at $1,299.

Its new flagship GPU, the GeForce RTX 3080, comes with up to 16GB G6 RAM. Nvidia claims these beasts will be in the "world's fastest laptops for gamers and creators." The high-end models should have no problem pushing over 100fps on ultra settings at 1440p should start at around $1,999.

The first of the Nvidia-powered laptops start rolling out on January 26, equipped with RTX 3080 and RTX 3070 GPUs. GeForce RTX 3060 models will come later this year. Partner OEMs include Acer, Alienware, ASUS, Gigabyte, HP, Lenovo, MSI, and Razer.

Permalink to story.

Did they say anything regarding volume or availability? If not, anyone have any sources for what they told the OEMs?

So I have said it before and I will say it again.
Anything up to and including a 150 watt power limit is for puppies and small children. Let's see a 3000 series with a 200+ watt power limit and then I will consider it but not until I get to see what RDNA 2 has to offer. Its more efficient power\performance ratio in the desktop area could lead to better performance per watt which is critical in Laptops.

The real question is how many of the high end laptops will have Rizen CPUs inside them... I'd love to see the new 5000 series with a 3080...

Previous tests showed 70-80%, that's not a fraction.
I'm going off of this
where they're saying that the rumour is that performance of a 3080 MaxQ could be 74% slower. And then the naming is going to be annoying to interpret for finding the right card.

The real question is how many of the high end laptops will have Rizen CPUs inside them... I'd love to see the new 5000 series with a 3080...
Several have been announced. The Schenker XMG Model looks nice since it offers Ryzen with the max-P GPU and has nice screen options.
We‘ll probably see high end models first due to limited CPU availability.

I'm going off of this where they're saying that the rumour is that performance of a 3080 MaxQ could be 74% slower. And then the naming is going to be annoying to interpret for finding the right card.
You make a good point here. We have a company that has, for example, 3 different versions of the same model. Just using the previous-gen you could have a 2080 - 2080 Super - 2080 ti. All clearly labeled.
So why it becomes possible that a Laptop with a 2080 could be 85, 95, 115, 125, 150, 175 (After the Alienware 51m flamethrowers) and 200-watt versions it becomes clear that deception was the key to duping the public into thinking they are getting something they aren't. The Max-Q label was a help but nobody is forced to list it as such in the descriptions. Then if that wasn't enough partners are free to make variations. The 2080 in my Laptop was listed clearly by MSI as 200 watts. But then there is an option to boost that to 210 watts though I always refer to it as 205 because that is the highest I have ever seen it go.

Is there a leader board for mobile GPU's? I was just interested in reading how they compared so to integrated GPUs on processors and say AMD APUs. I know it's difficult to do like for like comparisons but I can't seem to find anything. It doesn't help when they call the mobile GPU an RTX 3060 and the full on version the GTX 3060 but give them entirely different specs. Couldn't they call one an RTX 3060m?

It doesn't help when they call the mobile GPU an RTX 3060 and the full on version the GTX 3060 but give them entirely different specs. Couldn't they call one an RTX 3060m?
Actually Nvidia have altered the naming scheme slightly: they're officially called GeForce RTX 3xxx Laptop GPUs. Granted that's pretty rubbish, but hopefully it'll be taking up by vendors as a GeForce RTX 3060L, for example.

Is there a leader board for mobile GPU's? I was just interested in reading how they compared so to integrated GPUs on processors and say AMD APUs. I know it's difficult to do like for like comparisons but I can't seem to find anything. It doesn't help when they call the mobile GPU an RTX 3060 and the full on version the GTX 3060 but give them entirely different specs. Couldn't they call one an RTX 3060m?
NBC does have a somewhat useful benchmark list.

I read that the laptop 3060 will have 6gb vram, 3070 will have 8gb, and 3080 will have 8gb or 16gb

I think 6gb is way too low in 2021. 4GB is already the minimum requirement for games right now. It should have been like 8GB for 3060, and 12gb for 3070.

Back