PicoBox's 56mm PSU plugs directly into your motherboard

midian182

Staff member
In context: If you’re trying to put together a miniature PC build, having a small power supply unit would be an advantage. While the likes of SFX and TFX PSUs do offer a smaller footprint than standard ATX PSUs, they’re still massive compared to the PicoBox Z2, which is just 56mm long and plugs directly into a motherboard via its 24-pin ATX power connector.

PicoBox has released four versions of its minuscule PSU—120W, 160W, 200W, and 250W—all of which apart from the 120W model come with a 24-pin ATX mobo connector, one 4-pin CPU connector, two for SATA power, and a 4-pin Molex. As it plugs straight into the motherboard, there’s no need for an ATX cable.

The company writes that its PicoBox Z2 offers super-high efficiency of over 94 percent from a single 12V input, features an 8-bit microcontroller inside with intelligent control, and comes with highly reliable electrolytic capacitors.

These power supplies aren’t going to be suitable for use in most full-sized ATX desktops packing beefy graphics cards, but they could be ideal for silent, small form-factor builds with integrated graphics where space is a limiting factor. You can grab the 160W version of the PicoBox Z2 for just $28.90 from Geeek.

Thanks to ever-shrinking and more powerful components, miniature PCs are becoming increasingly popular these days. Last month saw Zotac release a new line of SFF PCs that are designed to look more like consoles than computers. The top-end Magnus EN72070V comes with the 6-core/12-thread Core i7-9750H (2.6GHz to 4.5GHz), an Nvidia RTX 2070, support for up to 32GB of DDR4-2666/2400 SODIMM memory, a PCIe or SATA M.2 drive, and a 2.5-inch HDD/SDD bay.

Permalink to story.

In over 10 years, I've never had a failure of any Pico Power PSU other than user error....
I fried one of the automotive PSU's by wiring backwards (reverse polarity)

The wall transformers however do not provide enough current if they are the same rating as the PSU

For 60 Watt PSU, I had to use an 80 Watt transformer to prevent shutdowns and lock ups

Buy a bigger transformer for best results

Back