PIII Pentium 550 Slot 1 CPU problems.....HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all....

First time poster here.....hope someone can help.

I just purchase a ECS P6BX-A+ slot 1 motherboard. I took a PIII 550 Slot 1 CPU out of my Compaq P550 machine and attempted to install onto this motherboard.

However, I cannot get any type of life from the board with the PIII chip in there. It has me wondering if I can actually use this CPU on this board.

Is there something that I am missing or forgot?

Any help or pointers will be really appreciated - thanks!

Is that motherboard supposed to support your CPU? Read the friendly manual to see the supported processor list and if any jumpers need to be set.

Nodsu said:
Is that motherboard supposed to support your CPU? Read the friendly manual to see the supported processor list and if any jumpers need to be set.

yes, the board supports the PIII 550. This board does not need any jumpers set as the BIOS automatically detect the core voltage etc and adjust accordingly. Have taken the board out of the case to test for shorts, etc, but still NO POST. The only thing connected to the board at this point is the PSU and the CPU....

What about RAM? If there's no RAM in the board it won't post either.

Verify that the RAM you have chosen is compatible with the board as well.

You may also try setting the clear CMOS jumper or removing the battery for 30 seconds with the power unplugged.

Barring that, assuming the RAM and board are good, you may have a bad CPU.

Soul Harvester said:
What about RAM? If there's no RAM in the board it won't post either.

Verify that the RAM you have chosen is compatible with the board as well.

You may also try setting the clear CMOS jumper or removing the battery for 30 seconds with the power unplugged.

Barring that, assuming the RAM and board are good, you may have a bad CPU.
Even without RAM, it should still beep some type of bios code indicating missing RAM. The board itself is an ECS P6BX-A+ so the standard PC100 RAM should work - this it the type I tried

I did clear the CMOS - still nothing

CPU was just taken out of my compaq deskpro P550 machine - so I know it is working...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back