Possible Virus, Need Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trobo510

Ok here is my problem. When I try and open some programs they freeze on start. Limewire and my internet security software are two examples. When I try to close them in task manager it looks as if they are gone, but the process remains and I can't get it to go away. I have been reading around on the boards and have tried to run a virus scan. However, my security software will open but it wont run a scan. I tried to use the ewido and trend micro's housecall but they both wont work. Housecall just stops at a random point and ewido won't download the necssary updates. When I restart it takes my computer (which is pretty fast) forever to shut down unless I do a manual shut down. I am running windows XP. I have done searches on the board here and I still havent fixed this, if I missed something I am sorry but I did not post this as a first resort.

Cheers,

Matt

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go and read this thread HERE. Post a HJT log into this thread and I`ll take look and advise.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of Trobo510 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

ok, I'm in the process of going thru one of the multi step help threads.... and i thought I was somewhat computer savy... anyway I'll do my best to get you a log soon. Thanks.

uhh is this right?

Yes that`s right.

download and run LSPFix from http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Use these instructions to remove the bad DLL:
1. Run LSPFix.
2. Check 'I know what I'm doing'.
3. Select 'handgrabberlsp.dll'.
4. Click the right-pointing arrow (moves it to the "remove" page).
5. Click 'Finished'.

6. Restart your computer in "Safe Mode" (F5 or F8 when starting Windows).
7. Delete the file: 'handgrabberlsp.dll'. Do NOT delete ANY other files!
8. Restart your computer and bring it up in normal mode.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Go to add remove programmes in your control panel and uninstall anything to do with(if there).

PartyGaming\PartyPoker
Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager
LimeWire

Close control panel.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

LimeWire.exe
ViewMgr.exe
RunApp.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe

O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe

O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'handgrabberlsp.dll' missing

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\Program Files\PartyGaming
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint
C:\Program Files\LimeWire

Reboot into normal mode and turn system restore back on.

Post a fresh HJT log.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of Trobo510 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

did this work? What was wrong? Can I reinstall limewire? Thanks so much for your help BTW you really have earned the title TS special forces :)

Your HJT log is clean.

I don`t recommend the use of p2p programmes. This is due to the risk of viruses etc. In any case, It`s illegal to download copyrighted material and Techspot does not condone any form of piracy. However, at the end of the day, it`s up to you whether you decide to reinstall Limewire.

It appears you`re not running any antivirus/firewall programmes. You should get some ASAP.

The free AVG and either the free Zonealarm or the free Kerio firewalls are very good.

You can get them HERE, HERE, and HERE.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back