Problem with RAID drives

Hello, I have an active post in "other hardware". Here is my situation:
Hello all. I am new here, and so this is my first thread. I have peiced computers together in the past, but I am by no means a pro, or even a talented enthusiest. What I am trying to do now is more of an upgrade. I bought a computer from ADK in 2007. It is a video/audio computer, and ADK did a great job. I would highly reccommend them. If I wasn't trying to save some money I would go back to them, but I am trying to do this as inexpensively as possible (meaning I would like to keep as much as I can from this computer to use).

Here is what I currently have: Antec Titon 650 case with Thermalake 700w. Intel board DP35DP; 3 PCIe, 1 IDE, 8xSATA, Glan, 8xUSB2, 2xTI firewire. Intel Quad Core Q6600,2.40 GHz, 1066 FSB, 8MB Cache. Coolmaster Mars - RR-CCX-W9U1-GP fan. 2 Vantec 80mm Stealth fans - very quiet. SuperTalent DDR2 PC5300 CL4 240 pin RAM (1GBx3). HD1=Seagate 80 GB ATA100/7200rpm. Raid zero array 2 Seagate 640 x2, Seagate 320GB x1. Video XFX nVidia GeForce 8600GTS 256MB, PCIe 675MHz, 2 DVI HDCP PCIe. PIONEER DVR112B Dual Layer DVD-RW drive. Windows XP Pro 32 bit. 2 Monitors.

I want to replace the MB with a Z77 MB,and the CPU with an i73770K. I will need to upgrade the RAM to DDR3 2400 (Preferably 16GB). I want to change the OS to Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Here are my newb questions:

Will I need to replace my Video card?
Can I use the same case and fans?
Can I use the same HDs and the same RAID 0 Array (I know nothing about RAID) ?
I was hoping to not have to replace anything more than the MB CPU, RAM and OS. I do want to replace the DVD for a blu ray burner. Can anyone spot something I may be missing?​
Here is my current problem now that I have built the 2 PC's:​
The problem is now the ADK PC doesn't recognize the hard drives. It sees the SSD drive. I have checked the drives with an external SATA harness (BlacX) box and the drives are not bad, but it tells me I need to format them. I have music and video I don't (can't) loose. I am afraid to set the bios to disable RAID for fear of loosing files. I don't know which drives are RAID. I just loaded the drives into the goof-off PC and moved the data from one drive to the other, although some files would not move? This probably means it is a raid drive and these files are saved across multiple drives (?). Am I right in assuming that these drives are not recognized because of the RAID 0 setup? I am trying to save what I can, but does this mean I need to re-format these drives? Thanks for all the help! What do you guys think? I don't really understand RAID.​
Does anyone have experience with undoing a raid configuration?​
Thanks. Terry​

I think your best bet is to reformat. There may be other options that I am unaware of though.

Rule 1:- don't use RAID of any form as the boot disk; even MS does not recommend it.

comment:- Everyone assumes that
  • Raid-0 will improve performance in a major way
  • Raid-1 will allow me to not be concerned about backups
BOTH are fallacious! Average Joe (home) User has no need for raid-x and it only complicates your life - - as you are now discovering :sigh:

RAID was good for my video/audio streaming/editing, etc, but now with the SSD drive I see no need for it. I did end up reformatting. My windows 7 doesn't show these non-raid drives though. They are there in device manager, but I can't see them in "my computer" or computer with Win 7. So I am wondering how I will save work to these drives?

I was also able to save 99.9% of my data, on an external TB drive. This made me happy. I still don't understand why I can't see them. They show in device manager and in Bios, but I don't know how to assign a drive letter to them (d drive, e drive, etc).

Using the Disk Manager, do they show up and if so, what does the partition look like - - does it even HAVE partitions?

BINGO! Every drive must have at least ONE partition.

Add one and then initialize it

Back