PS5 or Xbox Series X? 84% of gamers pick Sony's console in survey

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Is the next-gen console war over before it’s even begun? In a new survey, 84 percent of people said they were most excited about the PlayStation 5, while just 15 percent chose the Xbox Series X.

The findings come from Experience12 (via MCV), which surveyed over 3,000 UK “pop culture fans” between 25 June and 2 July using the MCM Comic Con online channels. When asked which of the next-gen consoles they were most excited for, the PS5 was the winner by a vast majority.

The participants were also asked when they intended to buy the new machines. It seems most people—37 percent—are hoping to grab one at launch. We’ve heard that Sony wants to avoid release-period shortages by doubling PS5 production to 10 million units in 2020. The company also expects to ship between 120 – 170 million consoles across its reported five-year lifespan.

When it comes to those not buying a console at launch, 9 percent expect to make a purchase in the first month, 12 percent within three months, and 26 percent within six months.

In addition to consoles, people were also asked which upcoming game they’re most anticipating. It should come as no surprise to learn that Cyberpunk 2077 topped the list with 43 percent of the vote. Marvel’s Avengers was second with just 15 percent, followed by the Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 remaster, Dying Light 2 (whenever that gets here), and Halo Infinite—it should be noted that the survey was taken before Halo’s recent demo, which disappointed a lot of people.

When it comes to current-gen machines, the PlayStation 4 was the most-preferred platform with 59 percent, way ahead of the Xbox One (17 percent), PC (15 percent), and Switch (8 percent).

Other findings include Facebook being the most popular social media platform and place where people find out about games, Twitch the favored livestreaming site, and The Last of Us the most anticipated TV/movie adaptation of a video game.

Breaking down the survey participants, 80 percent were aged between 18 and 34, with 48 percent in the 25 to 34 age bracket. Fifty-eight percent were male, and 38 percent were female.

While the survey suggests most people have already decided the PS5 will be the better console, Valve boss Gabe Newell believes the Xbox Series X will be the superior machine.

Permalink to story.

So they forgot to even put BY FAR the BIGGEST gaming platform - Mobile - into the survey.
How freaking *****ic is that.

Really pushing sony on this site I see...

neither console is a day1 buy for me so I'll wait a yr or so with my pc, but I have a feeling if 70 dollar games start dropping, and they will because gamers have shown they'll buy whatever is drip-fed to them with no hesitation that xbox's gamepass will be the deciding factor.

gut feeling they'll price the the series x low so live and gamepass will fill in the missing cashflow.

I have been debating which one to get first and I'm heavily leaning towards the PS5 and just getting an external ssd for the one x as a stopgap to extend the life of that system.

Bad news for Microsoft?
I mean, only if you still haven't been paying attention.

MS is focusing on the software. If you buy their games on your PC or old XB1, they still make a profit. If you get gamepass on PC or Xbox (like they've been pushing hard), you're in their ecosystem. And if you buy an XSX to buy games, that's just icing on the cake for them.

Sony needs console sales far more than MS does, so I hope they get them to stay competitive.

Not too surprising. If I can get any XSX game on PC, I will choose the PC version (even if I still have to play with a controller). The only reason to buy a next-gen console is to get a cheap UHD blu-ray player and games exclusive to that platform: that means I'll get the PS5 (if I get a console at all).

Just a good example of why surveying a specific user base doesn't translate to the whole. Not only is this survey limited to the UK, it's limited to "Pop culture fans" as well. I would say don't read into these results because they aren't representative of the market at large.

Branding beats substance almost every time and Sony has always had better branding and marketing. That's why even though Intel has been stagnant for an entire decade they remain on top.

Mobile is king, in the same way that Microsoft Solitaire was the world's #1 game by # of players and # of hours played for years or maybe even a decade plus.

It's both true and also completely irrelevant to the kind of gaming I'm interested in. Mobile gaming is what you do when your console and PC are out of reach.

MS dont care about any console war, they won long ago. A pc company by nature, made a console to compete against the biggest console maker. They did just that n have been doing so for over a decade. Sony had to be pressured into cross plat play which they said they would never do. Well they do n will be doing it cause of MS. They put that pressure on them with the help of Nintendo and a few devs.

The fact the MS is even competing in a segment that they were never meant to be in and compete ever single time, yea they won long ago.
Hell Sonys controller is more shaped like a MS controller as they have always had a better feel/grip than any ps controller. If we didn't have MS competing we would still have sh*t graphics the last decade n crappy Nintendo hardware, oh wait we still have that.

Sony may make the best console but ppl are fooling themselves if MS didn't play a big role part of the last 15 yrs.
In the end both consoles will be good. Which console ppl will choose will be a personal choice, either way I highly doubt anyone will be disappointed.

Mobile is king, in the same way that Microsoft Solitaire was the world's #1 game by # of players and # of hours played for years or maybe even a decade plus.

It's both true and also completely irrelevant to the kind of gaming I'm interested in. Mobile gaming is what you do when your console and PC are out of reach.

You are absolutely clueless.
The top five most profitable and most played games in the world are all mobile games.
There are many high profile competitive tournaments in PUBG mobile, Mobile Legends, Brawl Stars, Clash Royale, etc. Many players spend thousands of dollars and thousands of hours on mobile games.
Mobile is king in ALL metrics. That includes revenues.
By your logic, people spend 100 billion dollars a year for toilet entertainment.

Not sure how our two posts in any way disagree with each other. Phones are more affordable, more common, and usable in more situations. It makes for more volume and more dollars. if this discussion was about where I'd invest my money, mobile would be the first place I'd look.

None of that changes the fact that mobile is my personal absolute last choice for actual playing of games. Usually I'd prefer to just talk on the phone or read news. Toilet entertainment indeed.

So they forgot to even put BY FAR the BIGGEST gaming platform - Mobile - into the survey.
How freaking *****ic is that.
Without seeing the survey questions, how can one be certain that this is the case? For this particular sample, only 6% selected a mobile phone as being their preferred choice as content viewing platform, so it wouldn't be unfathomable that the percentage of respondents who said that they prefer to play games on mobile was less than, say, 0.5%. And if that was the case, given that all of the figures have been rounded, it wouldn't have even registered in the final choice.

Not sure how our two posts in any way disagree with each other. Phones are more affordable, more common, and usable in more situations. It makes for more volume and more dollars. if this discussion was about where I'd invest my money, mobile would be the first place I'd look.

None of that changes the fact that mobile is my personal absolute last choice for actual playing of games. Usually I'd prefer to just talk on the phone or read news. Toilet entertainment indeed.
You're not getting it.
What I meant was that the greatest number of hardcore gamers is also actually on mobile.
Many *individual players spend thousands of dollars and hours on a mobile game.
The competitive esport and streaming scene is also booming.

The stupid ironic thing is, the "gamer" community is still not recognizing mobile platform just because of their twisted perspective.

No, mobile gaming is horrible. End of story. Just because something is profitable doesn't mean it's good.
..oh what a surprise, another clueless comment that doesn't have anything to do with my argument.
Why am I even wasting my time here..

Rather than being somewhat combative with replies, try providing the evidence that backs up your point - for example:

Total estimated global revenue, from gaming in 2019, was $120 billion, with the split being roughly 54% mobile phones, 25% PC, and 13% consoles. Regardless as to what anyone thinks about gaming on smartphones, $64 billion of revenue doesn't come about from folks just casually playing a few minutes whilst ruminating on the toilet.

..oh what a surprise, another clueless comment that doesn't have anything to do with my argument.
Eventually you'll realise mobile gaming is generally horrible. Gotta say though, Apple's efforts to make it better have been impressive, almost tempted to buy an Apple TV to try out their subscription service as they actually have proper Devs behind it.

Rather than being somewhat combative with replies, try providing the evidence that backs up your point - for example:

Total estimated global revenue, from gaming in 2019, was $120 billion, with the split being roughly 54% mobile phones, 25% PC, and 13% consoles. Regardless as to what anyone thinks about gaming on smartphones, $64 billion of revenue doesn't come about from folks just casually playing a few minutes whilst ruminating on the toilet.

You're confusing most used with preferred.

Just because people use it more doesn't its their preferred method of gaming.

Last edited:
Back