Random Blue Screens on a Vista 64-bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get random blue screens on this week old computer that I built!
(first time building one so I guess I deserve it)

Problem: Basically whenever I am doing something important the computer crashes, I can't predict when or what programs make me get blue screens because it varies.

I have tried:
Check disk
Mem test a few runs through with no errors
Clean boot
updating graphics card drivers

I have Windows Ultimate 64bit version
intel quad q9300
GeForce 8800 GTS
AS Rock 4core1600p35
4gigs of ram

Here are a couple of the Blue Screens:

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
Mini051108-01.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 4e
BCP1: 0000000000000099
BCP2: 0000000000065363
BCP3: 0000000000000002
BCP4: 00000000000ADD62
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Problem signature

Mini051408-02.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF960001AA2FF
BCP3: FFFFFA60073B7650
BCP4: 0000000000000000

Problem signature

Mini051208-02.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

BCCode: a
BCP1: FFFFFA802786C0C8
BCP2: 000000000000000C
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: FFFFF80001ED4C80

BlackTen said:
I need to pm you so i'm posting 10 posts

That is a real quick way of getting locked down. You need to make your own post and tell us what your particular issues are. If you have error codes post them. Also, tell us your system specs.

Video drivers?

BlackTen said:
I will go post on the forums so I won't get "locked down"

I have a HP dv6500t with a 8400m gs nvidia card and had similar BSOD random crashes. I rolled back the video driver to the older one dated 11-07. So far no BSOD. There are some issues with nvidia cards and vista. I'm not positive but my guess its the video drivers for nvidia causing this.

When Vista crashes its almost always hardware/driver related. However, some software applications have the ability to do this as well. Thats what I hate about Vista so much. Its picky about what you install and which drivers you use. After almost two years from launch Vista is pathetic in terms of compatibility. I'm thinking the latest drivers for nvidia are bogus for some systems. Just go to your device manager and roll it back and see if that helps.

The whole DRM rooted graphical interface in Vista is complete 100% total crap. Vista really took graphics backwards a hundred steps. Thats why most gamers will not use Vista. I think its the unseen changes in DRM why people hate vista so much. People usually don't know why vista is so different then XP but they just know its somehow more sluggish/bloated. MS probably thought they could include all the DRM without people noticing but it really destroyed the leanness of XP. I'm about ready to blow Vista off my HP notebook as well. I mean for a BSOD to take out windows when I am not even doing anything is pretty serious. It actually just spontaneously reboots by itself after that happens which is heavy duty crash. Hopefully the old driver will hold for me. Good luck.

One other thing.. I've seen this problem posted several times by users on the net and the one constant/variable I see is they have an nvidia card.

It was faulty ram, and I have mad <3 for my nvidia card!

Make sure when you buy 4gigs of dual channel ram that the manufactures don't give you slightly different sticks. I got two sticks that were built a month apart and one of the sticks had slight hardware upgrades. These small upgrades owned my life for about a week!

Good Luck

I had this problem awhile back ago, i'd get a BSOD after the windows logo. It found it was my DVD burner, i unplugged the SATA and turn the computer on and it booted up fine. Give it a shot.

Interesting

I've tested my ram, so no bad ram here. I'm still conviced from what I've read that the NVidia 8800 is to blame. My BSOD is entirely random, usually at idle or near idle load and has only occurred 3 times in 3 months. I just installed most recent driver from NVidia which was released just a few weeks ago. Since then I have not had a BSOD, but doesn't mean I won't eventually get one. I'll keep you updated, and thanks for the help.

BlackTen said:
I've tested my ram, so no bad ram here. I'm still conviced from what I've read that the NVidia 8800 is to blame. My BSOD is entirely random, usually at idle or near idle load and has only occurred 3 times in 3 months. I just installed most recent driver from NVidia which was released just a few weeks ago. Since then I have not had a BSOD, but doesn't mean I won't eventually get one. I'll keep you updated, and thanks for the help.

Maybe not. Yesterday I went to HP site and I updated just about every device driver. I even put back the newer nvidia driver I thought was the issue for me. I had a similar BSOD to yours. Anyway, there was a newer BT module driver, a 5 in 1 reader driver, an intel matrix storage driver, intel wireless driver, and a trackpad driver. My system seems to run really smooth now. I'm thinking the BT driver or maybe the wireless driver may have been the issue. The point is your probably right that it is driver related. But its nearly impossible to tell sometimes with the error messages. My advice is just update all the drivers. Vista should let you roll them back if something goes south.. You can do that in the device manager.

My suggestion is to update all your drivers. This is especially important if you have sp1 installed. I know some of my drivers said they fixed SP1 related issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back