Random BSOD and restarts, getting more frequent

Morpheus1967

First of all, thanks to all who help out. I got my computer from a previous employer. It is running Windows XP Professional. About two weeks ago, it started the BSOD and would restart. Upon restart, it would say Windows had recovered from a serious error. Well, it is getting more and more frequent, so I need some help if possible. Here is what I was able to capture off the error message today:

BCCode : 1000000a
BCP1 : FFE00690
BCP2 : 000000FF
BCP3 : 00000001
BCP4 : 80545E8F
OSVer : 5_1_2600
SP : 3_0
Product : 256_1

I run McAfee Anti-virus, and once a week run Spybot and Malwarebyes. They are finding nothing. I do not know if you can tell anything from above, but if you will let me know what further information you need I will be happy to supply it.

Matt

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Thank you. Minidump files as requested. Just so you know, it is re-booting like crazy. Not sure what to do.

Attachments

• Mini030711-08.zip
    96.1 KB · Views: 4
I don't know what overclocked means. I apologize. How would I know? I hadn't changed anything when this started happening.

No need to apologize. :) In simple terms overclocking hardware is a process whereby you take certain hardware components like your cpu and memory and push them beyond their designed specs to get more out of them. This is something you obviously have not done.

In light of your minidumps, I want you to open your case side panel and look into your system. Is there a lot of dust, especially around the fans?

Also, do you have any friends who have working technical PC knowledge?

Hello, and thank you again. The inside of the computer was pretty dusty. In fact, I had just gone to buy a can of the compressed gas duster. With the machine off, I removed the side cover and cleaned it out. However, when I turned the computer back on, the only way I was able to get Windows to boot was to do it in safe mode, which I am in right now as I post this. I even tried booting to last known good configuration. It will start to load, but the blue screen flashes and it starts to re-boot. Again, safe mode is where I am at now.

I do not have any close friends that know any more about computers than I do. If you can walk me through what I need to do, I can give it a shot. If you feel it is over my head, I will have to bring it in.

Okay, do you know what a processor is and can you find it on your motherboard? If so, check that fan especially to make sure it is not caked with dust.

What is the make of your harddrive?

I cleaned everything extremely well last night, but to be honest, no, I couldn't tell you what the processor looked like. As for the hard drive, I will have to take a look tonight and let you know. I bought this computer from my old employer when they were going out of business, and I do know they had it custom made.

I went and bought a laptop last night (been wanting one anyways), and am in the process of getting everything off the old computer that I can just in case it craps on me. I will fire it up this afternoon and let you know the make of the hard drive.

What did the dump files tell you? That the processor was going out? I do know that the restarts get quicker and quicker as the day went yesterday, until I finally could no longer boot Windows normally.

ok, here is what I could find out:

Processor
AMD Athlon 64X2 dual core processor
4600+
2.39 ghz, 2GB Ram

The only thing I could find on the hard drive is the model #ST380815A5.

When I started it back up this afternoon to get the information you requested, I was able to load Windows normally. It is still running as of right now, with no re-starts.

Hello. Yes, it seems to be. I let it run for two hours, and re-started it, and no blue screen, and Windows loaded normally at re-start. I will try it again this afternoon. Could it be as simple as the fan was dirty? Causing the computer to overheat?

Yes. Heat issues will shut down a computer fast. The reason I asked about your cpu is because two error codes pointed to an AMD driver as the cause. The thing is, though cpus have been known to fail, it is a rare.

And in light of the other error codes and your symptoms dust build-up seemed a logical possible reason for your issues.

Well, I will keep an eye on it over the next few days. Hopefully all will be ok, and it was that simple of a fix, Although I do feel like somewhat of a dufus! If I have any other issues, or I get any more blue screens, I will post that information. Should I check for driver updates on the AMD? Thank you so much for your help.

Next stop: Learning home networking lol!

No need to feel like a dufus. Just add it to your knowledge base. :) And there is no need to update your AMD chip. That is an excellent cpu.

Well, I spoke too soon. BSOD at bootup this evening. I had shut off the automatic restart, and here is what it said:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Stop: 0x00000001 (0xba40389b, 0x00000006, 0x00000001, 0xb71073ee

RTENICXP.SYS-Address B71073ee base @ b70fd000

I have also attached the minidump it created. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Mini030911-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
Your issue is with your Realtek wireless driver Rtenicxp.sys. Before updating was this sytem built by an individual or was it a bought system like Dell, HP, etc.?

It was built to the specifications of our IT guy. As I said earlier, this was my old work computer. They had it built geared towards using it for AutoCAD. I didn't even know there was a wireless driver in it.

But it was definitely built. No HP, Dell, anything on the tower case except Cool Blaster, which I am assuming is one of the fans.

Find the make of the motherboard, go to the manufacture's website and find the exact model. Then update the latest wireless drivers from there.

Not to be an *****, but how do I find the make of the motherboard? Do I need to take the cover off and physically look at it? Or is there a way to do it through the computer?

Back