Random pulses of lag while using applications

Weazel99

Ok so my laptop is being a peace of crap. As if i dont hate vista enough, it keeps finding ways to make me want to kill it. I have an HP pavilion, with Vista Home Premium, and a stupid problem. Aparently, its an entertainment computer, but, when i watch movies or play games like minecraft, source games (especially source games), it gets really laggy.

Its not that my laptop can't handle the graphics, for the first 10 minutes it runs really smoothly. But then for 1 minute it gets really choppy, then it goes back to being smooth... then it goes choppy again. i've tried lowering the graphics, particularly the textures, but it doesnt seem to help. I've tried optimizing my processor by removing processes and services i dont need. i've also tried lowering the priority of certain processes such as windows update, and my antivirus. These seem to work in a small way.

Any suggestions on how to make it run smooth permanately? is there any process that tends to make the computer lag only while an application is running?

"Is there any process that tends to make the computer lag only while an application is running?"...

Yes, poor antivirus/antimalware programs, and loads of temp files. Download and run Old Timers free temp file cleaner and free Superantispyware. See if your laptop runs faster after running these two programs

um ok... so that didnt help... at all... although now my computer has more space. uh, i also heard it could be an overheating problem. But thats not it either, because when i play with my laptop im also surrounded by Air Conditioning and the fan on the bottem has a constant air flow. And when i block the fan or whatever, then it gets worse. Maybe i just need a new laptop?

Sounds like you could benefit from an Operating System fresh re-install... or even upgrade to Windows 7 without having to buy a new laptop

i hear u man, but this is y i hate my laptop. Its not compatible with either windows 7 or XP. i think its my graphics card... a fresh install is out of the question, i lost my Vista CD. Another other ideas?

verify that the pagefile.sys is ONE size (not system managed)
right-click My Computer->properties->advanced->advanced (yes twice)
virtual memory {change button}
make both custom values 2x real ram and the same value.
AND get Pagedefrag to ensure no fragmentation

I've tried optimizing my processor by removing processes and services i dont need. i've also tried lowering the priority of certain processes such as windows update, and my antivirus. These seem to work in a small way. i think its my graphics card... a fresh install is out of the question, i lost my Vista CD.

Back