Random Restarts an Sys Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI,
I have been having a lot of troubles with random reboots and other software crashing issues.

My system is as follows:
OS - Windows XP Pro
Mobo - Abit KN9-SLi (latest bios)
CPU - AMD Athlon X2 5800+ AM2
RAM - 1GB kit Corsair DDR2-667
Graphics - Leadtek Geforce 7600GT

The times when these reboots have occured have been all med-high cpu usage tasks:
- doing a search through registry
- watching videos
- watching embedded flash player based videos (this is the most frequent, I can do it every time I an watching videos at ufc.com, I have noticed my cpu usage spikes a lot while using the video part of that site)
- while idle during the night after I have turned my monitor off (this is also frequent)

I have tried the following:
- swapping graphics cards
- tried a bunch of different graphics drivers
- tried reseating the graphics card in the 2nd pci-e slot
- swapping PSUs
- run memtest86+ a lot of times (no errors)
- reformatted and reinstalled windows multiple times
- run various virus and spyware scanners

On boot up I get errors about BCCode 1000000A with different BCP# values each time. I have posted minidumps below. None of my components seem to be over heating from what ntune is telling me.

If someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. I am sure it is probably CPU, mobo, RAM or maybe hard drive but I really can't aford to just go buying new components that are that expensive with out even a little evidence that there is something wrong with the original ones.

oops, wrong forum, can someone move this to the CPUs, Chipsets and Mobos forum please?

As Memtest isn't perfect, run with just one stick of RAM at a time, then swap them over if it still crashes. Is your RAM running at DDR2-667?

Also, your CPU is running at 2000MHz in all the dumps, turn off Cool & Quiet for now if you're using it. You can download CPU-Z to make sure everything is running at the correct speed.

Ok, did some tests. Cool n Quiet didn't make a difference.

There is something going on with the RAM though. With both RAM sticks in I am having crashes.

I have just used the UFC.com video section to test this because I can get it to crash every time on that. To test I run the mouse over the video list there and used the scroll bar from the video list. When I do this the CPU spikes up to about 40% and with the two sticks the video stutters a lot and then eventually crashes the computer or it reboots itself. With one stick it doesn't and I couldn't get it to crash.

I tried each stick by itself in each different slot but both of them did fine by themselves.

Then I put them both in but this time in slots 3 and 4 instead of 1 and 2, and again it crashed and performed badly. I will need to leave just one stick in for a couple of days to be really sure, but there was an obvious differnce.

So what does this mean? A problem with the RAM? The motherboard not working properly with two sticks?

Try both sticks in slots 1&3 and slots 2&4 to see if not running in Dual Channel makes a difference.

Tried that and problem persists.... then I plugged just 1 stick back in and the problem is there now with just 1 stick. Tried the other stick and multiple sockets and it is still having the problem.

So now I have no idea.

Back to square one :(

Any other ideas? A friend suggested maybe dodgy psu but I have tried two different psu's and both had the same problem, plus it didn't explain the random video crashes I have as well.

I still think it's a RAM problem. As it worked OK with only one stick then you would think it's a compatibility problem. Why it's not working now, I can't tell you. If the sticks are hard to push in, make sure that they're all the way in. You can also try clearing the CMOS, check the manual to find out how.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back