Razer announces a mini version of its Huntsman keyboard

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: There are plenty advantages to going with a smaller keyboard layout. Some prefer the minimalist look afforded by such a compact design while others are genuinely short on physical space and simply don’t have room for a full-sized board. Still others enjoy the portability and additional room for a mouse that a 60 percent board affords.

Razer is going all-in on the miniature movement. After announcing a smaller version of its DeathAdder V2 mouse last week, the gaming accessory maker on Tuesday unveiled the Huntsman Mini ultra-compact form factor keyboard.

The latest addition to the Huntsman family is also Razer’s first 60 percent keyboard – that is, a keyboard that has roughly 60 percent the number of keys as a standard Windows keyboard. In essence, the layout eliminates lesser used keys like the function row and the number pad, resulting in a more compact design.

And really, you aren’t losing out on much functionality as the “deleted” key functionality can still be accessed as secondary functions via the remaining keys.

Razer’s new keyboard can be outfitted with your choice of clicky or linear optical switches. Either way, you’ll get a board equipped with polybutylene terephthalate (PBT) keycaps that are more durable than standard ABS keycaps and other notable features like per-key RGB lighting, a detachable USB-C braided fiber cable and onboard storage for up to five user profiles.

All boards feature aluminum construction and have a rated lifespan of 100 million keystrokes.

Razer’s Huntsman Mini will be available in black and white finishes from July 14 starting at $119.99. Select configurations are available now with others slated to launch next month.

Permalink to story.

No you pay extra 40% : - P

I don't understand why people use those, keyboards aren't that big, I couldn't live without my "calculator" numbers
Gamers.

I am the same, I cannot live without the number pad (and hence stuck with 15 inch laptops) but I tend to use my keyboards for work and casual gaming.

But the width of a full sized keyboard is less comfortable than the width of the 60% keyboards over long periods and fundamentally gives you less room to move the mouse; thus you only really see 60% KBs in gamer-centric brands. Competitive gamers want every single advantage they can get.

You know those kids in America who are so internally troubled that they shoot up a bunch of kids at school?

I reckon they were raised on a full keyboard then switched to a 60% unit.

Gamers.

I am the same, I cannot live without the number pad (and hence stuck with 15 inch laptops) but I tend to use my keyboards for work and casual gaming.

But the width of a full sized keyboard is less comfortable than the width of the 60% keyboards over long periods and fundamentally gives you less room to move the mouse; thus you only really see 60% KBs in gamer-centric brands. Competitive gamers want every single advantage they can get.

I'm a gamer myself but when my brother was trying to get me to buy of these keyboards I told him I'm not buying keyboards with missing keys : - P

I have used a Poker II 60% for almost 7 years now. Love it. I have a num pad in the desk drawer for when I need it. (Not very often, like 2 times so far this year,)

I learned to ten-key on an adding machine back in the day. I haven't felt the need to pull out a full-size keyboard from my kb-cache in years. What are you all using the numeric keypad on a regular basis for exactly? Old school data entry or something else?

And any update on when Razer will start shipping the gen2 version of their optical switches?

Last edited:
I learned to ten-key on an adding machine back in the day. I haven't felt the need to pull out a full-size keyboard from my kb-cache in years. What are you all using the numeric keypad on a regular basis for exactly? Old school data entry or something else?

And any update on when Razer will start shipping the gen2 version of their optical switches?

Typing numbers.... I mean I do pricing on products or services... Also filling in information for shipping packages and doing my finances personally and for my companies.
Number pads are just so much faster than using the number line above the letters.

I can see the value in a tenkeyless keyboard for gaming. I don't know how many gamers need to punch in numbers on the tenkey like an accountant or banker.

But, taking away the arrow keys and Insert and Delete? That's going too far.

Back