Razer Raptor 27 Gaming Monitor Review: Do Not Buy This.

Hard to believe in this day and age that anyone would try to put out such a mediocre monitor and expect the buying public to accept it, especially as quickly as news travels ...... just foolish.

It's like Beats headphones; another mediocre but overpriced product with brand recognition that will fool a portion of the customerbase into thinking it's a high quality product due to the price. The technical inferiority is offset by the perception of build quality, and most people can't tell the difference of an A/V product unless they can directly compare it side-by-side.

How many people have run their HD source in SD-mode unintentionally and never noticed the difference but praised the clarity regardless?

It's like Beats headphones; another mediocre but overpriced product with brand recognition that will fool a portion of the customerbase into thinking it's a high quality product due to the price. The technical inferiority is offset by the perception of build quality, and most people can't tell the difference of an A/V product unless they can directly compare it side-by-side.

How many people have run their HD source in SD-mode unintentionally and never noticed the difference but praised the clarity regardless?
What gets me is that for more then half a decade now Razer has been putting out substandard products with poor build quality for inflated prices, and people KEEP BUYING THEM.

how many suckers can there be to fool?

Razer literally owns THX. saying their product is the first THX certified anything is hilarious at best and pretty much just lying at worst, since they get to define the certification. Reading this right after seeing the updated video on IPS vs. TN vs. VA really gave some amusing context for how terrible a value this is. Love the snarky review.

What gets me is that for more then half a decade now Razer has been putting out substandard products with poor build quality for inflated prices, and people KEEP BUYING THEM.

how many suckers can there be to fool?
There have not really been any good alternatives to people wanting an integrated PC accessory ecosystem until the last few years. Razer chose to dump their products on walmart shelves as cheaply as possible instead of maintain or repair their image, and that is what is keeping them a "household" name (for now).

I wonder if you checked with Razer as to whether they accidentally sent you a dud for review, it certainly sounds like it.

Flashy Razer junk.

A company that can't even software (synapse) is lacking in credible brain power (again... a problem with synapses).

This is how the display on my Razer laptop is, it’s absolute garbage. The ghosting is so bad it’s disgusting. The backlight has crazy bleed, abs the included video card can’t even keep up with 144 MHz refresh rate. I used to lower it to 60, but doing so resulted in even worse ghosting! Was trying to save some battery life. Honestly, wouldn’t recommend their laptops or monitors until they choose quality panels.

Just me nitpicking....nothing special to see here other than my grammatical COD my mom engrained upon me. There are three spots you type out "Razer are ...."

It should be "Razer is" - since Razer is a singular company that you're referencing. Sorry, It just bugs me. Once I ignore it, twice it irritates me and three times....come on!

As for the quality of a Razer product, it doesn't surprise me that they make it look all fancy, but yet they use inferior parts or poor software to configure and overprice their crap.

There have not really been any good alternatives to people wanting an integrated PC accessory ecosystem until the last few years. Razer chose to dump their products on walmart shelves as cheaply as possible instead of maintain or repair their image, and that is what is keeping them a "household" name (for now).

You can find their crap on Target shelves, too. The packaging looks nice, the products usually look nice, but they sure don't work well....or at least, not for long periods of time.

Maybe some will buy it, similar to why some people by an Apple phone.
Just to get the logo on the back? ;)

I'd rather and ugly as **** monitor that performs well in all conditions than this one that looks really nice but doesn't perform at all well in any condition so for $800 bucks you're just paying for the looks not the function

Just a nitpick, I'll never understand consumers and reviewers obsession with slim bezels. When I'm using the product I look at the screen, not the bezel. The only thing slim bezels / no bezels accomplish is making monitors and phones more fragile and prone to breaking the screen in case of a harder bump or crash.

Want to complain about a thick bezel, fine. But placing it among the top list of negatives is just silly and looks a bit unprofessional to me.

Just a nitpick, I'll never understand consumers and reviewers obsession with slim bezels. When I'm using the product I look at the screen, not the bezel. The only thing slim bezels / no bezels accomplish is making monitors and phones more fragile and prone to breaking the screen in case of a harder bump or crash.

Totally agreed. Though I was one of those. I saw a great looking thin-bezel monitor and bought it. Already while unboxing it, I noticed how hard is it to handle a thin-bezel monitor without risking damaging the panel. But then I started using it..... and thin bezel sucks.

Thick bezel separates the screen from the background. Without the bezel the room background interferes with the screen contents. At least that was my experience.

Needless to say, my next monitor had a normal bezel.

Razer is the Apple of the Windows world.
except that apple does design superior hardware like the M1, on latest process nodes and such..

Razor on the other hand makes gaming mice with inferior hardly office capable sensors in them and trash monitors like shown here. (not all their mice is crap ofc, but some of them are marketed as gaming mice while they are only capable of office work really.

Razer makes some cool designs imo, but they dont have the talent to do actual good hardware,or maybe they do but it dosnt make it into their product in many cases, not all is crap but alot of it is.

Imagine charging $800 for a monitor that doesn't even have HDMI 2.1... honestly Razor is just a scummy over charging company. I used to really rate their products but now they think they can charge Apple prices but somehow make their products for less for high margins and still retain the same loyal customers.

Seems like Razor is take the Apple approach to tech. Sell units with old/dated hardware, give it a pretty exterior and charge a premium for it. Then better yet when it breaks, don't give the customer the ability to fix it themselves for cheaper.

Thanks, for once, that the word "overpriced" is included in a Ra$er product review.

No matter what razer churns out, every single rip-off product has always been overpriced.

And this is coming from someone staying in the same birthplace of razer.

Want to complain about a thick bezel, fine. But placing it among the top list of negatives is just silly and looks a bit unprofessional to me.
A thin bezel would be best for multi monitor setups, but honestly, when I played across 3 - 1080p monitors, they didn't have thin bezels and I never noticed the bezels while I was gaming. I played with 3 monitors for 5-6 years.

Just want to appreciate the writer @Tim for an excellent article. Can't believe I read for so long about something I am not even planning to buy.

Just me nitpicking....nothing special to see here other than my grammatical COD my mom engrained upon me. There are three spots you type out "Razer are ...."

It should be "Razer is" - since Razer is a singular company that you're referencing. Sorry, It just bugs me. Once I ignore it, twice it irritates me and three times....come on!
This is a difference between American English and just about every other country's version of English. In Britain, Australia, etc, it is grammatically correct to say "Razer are." Companies are plural nouns there.

Back