Red Dead Redemption 2 requires 105GB to install on PS4 Pro, supports up to 32 players...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: 1TB hard drives seemed absolutely massive just a few years ago but with the size of blockbuster games continuing to push the envelope, serious gamers will almost certainly have to add expandable storage soon or later.

Sony recently announced a Red Dead Redemption 2 PlayStation 4 Pro bundle. Set to launch on the same day as Rockstar’s highly anticipated game (October 26), the bundle is admittedly a bit underwhelming as it only includes a copy of the game with a standard-issue console rather than a themed machine (although you do essentially get the game for free).

Now thanks to a recent listing on Target and some astute readers, we have some additional details to share regarding the game.

A close look at the fine print on the bundle image reveals that PlayStation 4 Pro players will need to allocate a minimum of 105GB of storage space for the game. Furthermore, it’s also stated that the game’s online mode will support up to 32 players and that select online content will be exclusive to the PlayStation 4 for a period of 30 days.

Red Dead Redemption 2’s online multiplayer mode is set to launch as a public beta in November and will likely rival GTA Online in terms of popularity (and how much money it generates).

Recent hands-on gameplay impressions of Red Dead Redemption 2 have been overwhelming positive with early players praising Rockstar’s incredible attention to detail.

Permalink to story.

I remember a day where game coders had to write code as efficiently as possible to squeeze the game onto small storage devices starting with Atari/Intellivision cartridges, then CD's, etc.

These days, with seemingly unlimited storage, it makes me wonder just how efficient the coding is. Or has it become, "We don't care how large the file - just give us this game component we're looking for."

I remember a day where game coders had to write code as efficiently as possible to squeeze the game onto small storage devices starting with Atari/Intellivision cartridges, then CD's, etc.

These days, with seemingly unlimited storage, it makes me wonder just how efficient the coding is. Or has it become, "We don't care how large the file - just give us this game component we're looking for."

Disk space is dirt cheap and graphics are becoming better and better.

In the future, we will go back to buying hard copies because of the digital download times. Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be half a terabyte.

I suspect, if anything, the opposite is now true. The larger the game, the more difficult (or at least time-consuming) it is to pirate... and the more HD expansions you need to buy....there's clearly no incentive to be efficient any more.

I suspect, if anything, the opposite is now true. The larger the game, the more difficult (or at least time-consuming) it is to pirate... and the more HD expansions you need to buy....there's clearly no incentive to be efficient any more.
But by that logic, it becomes that much harder to buy as well for the exact same reason.

I feel game developers are just being lazy, figuring that since we have 1TB hard drives in consoles now they dont have to compress anything anymore.

I think you are thinking more along the lines of low processing power and RAM. Now-a-days we have so much power and RAM that we've seen code has become much less optimized. As for storage though, well we all love higher res textures and more detail; so that's a good thing! They kind of go hand-in-hand though to a certain extent. If we had great processing power and RAM but still were living on sub 1 GB hard drives then we'd still be stuck with low res graphics.

It isn't the code that is big, it's the assets. The game will most likely have a ton of high quality uncompressed audio.

Simply put, decompressing assets takes time and resources that can be better allocated to doing more important tasks, with the price of HDDs and the space they can provide it's pointless to compress the data/textures/audio to save space. This also results in a better looking and sounding end product.

Coding? Coding is cheap. Millions of lines of code doesn't take up much space.
What you're seeing is the textures and models and animations and world data taking up the majority of that 105gb.

Back