Registry corrupted after a hard reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crawlie

Hi guys

A couple of weeks ago, my registry was corrupted after my kid did a hard reboot and then blocked some automated registry changes with Adwatch.

I fixed a few things but I am still having problems with some USB device that remains "unknown" and after some investigative work on the Adwatch log, I found a few entries that were blocked and are nowhere to be found in the registry and seem important although I have no idea if they are related to my problem.

***HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Run
Value: DXDllRegExe
(not found)

***HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
Value: AppInit_DLLs
(not found)

***HKLM\Software\Classes\.pif
Data: piffile
(not found)

Is there any reason for concern there?

I also did a HJT scan and I noted a few entries that seem weird... can anyone take a look and tell me what they think?

Thanks a lot

You can fixed your problem by booting your Windows in PC Dos. If you are in DOS. Scan three times the computer with the command : chkdsk /r. This will repair the corrupted files. And your Windows will be fully operational.

Hi

You cant boot an XP PC in DOS, unless it is installed on a FAT32 partition, by default most XP installs are done under NTFS, As for chkdsk this will only repair file structure it will not repair faulty registry files,.

If you think the problem is Virus or spyware then post in the security and the web section of the forum, but please read all the stickies first, before posting your HJT log or else it will be deleted by the Mods.

Regards

As for chkdsk this will only repair file structure it will not repair faulty registry file

yeah, that's what I thought...

If you think the problem is Virus or spyware then post in the security and the web section of the forum, but please read all the stickies first, before posting your HJT log or else it will be deleted by the Mods.

I read the stickies, which is why I didn't post my HJT log... ;)
It is not however spyware related, hence the post in the Windows section, the registry was corrupted by the hard reboot and I have isolated a few entries in the Adwatch log that seem to be the problem. I just wanted to see if more advanced users could tell me if they were okay to fix and if that might help with my external drive problem...

thanks for your replies :)

If you would like to have your HJT log checked then start a new thread in the Security and the Web forum and i will be happy to check it over for you!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back