Repairability vs reliability: Apple argues that removable batteries add a potential failure...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: The European Union is on track to mandate that all smartphones sold in the region feature batteries that can be removed and replaced without any special tools or knowledge. Predictably, not everyone is happy with the course change and at least one major mobile player could be looking for a workaround.

In an interview with Orbit about sustainability, John Ternus, senior VP of hardware engineering at Apple, said they want to focus on making sure customers have easy access to repair the things that are most likely to require repair.

"There sometimes can be a bit of conflict between the durability and the repairability," Ternus noted, seemingly hinting at the EU mandate. He said you can sometimes make an internal component (like a battery) more repairable by having it discrete and removable, but that inherently adds a potential failure point to the overall product.

Using a data-driven approach, Ternus said, Apple can better understand what parts of a phone need to be repaired and which ones are better to make so robust that they never need to be repaired. "It's always kind of a balance," he added.

While some might not want to hear it, Ternus has a point. While an iPhone with a removable battery would be convenient, it likely wouldn't be as water resistant as a fully sealed model.

Talk of a removable battery mandate for smartphones sold in the EU date back to early 2020, meaning Apple and others have had a few years now to try and come up with a response. The changes won't go into effect until 2027, so there are a few more years still to innovate.

A more immediate change for the iPhone is expected by the end of next year. That's when a separate EU mandate requiring all phones to feature USB-C connectivity will be applied, and Apple has already admitted that its iPhone will abandon the proprietary Lightning connector.

This year's iPhone 15 is expected to usher in USB-C connectivity as well as a host of other new features including a redesigned bezel, faster processors, stacked battery technology, and a significant camera upgrade. A price hike could also accompany Pro models, we've heard.

Image credit: Tyler Lastovich

Permalink to story.

What? My old Nokia 3310 from 2001 has a removable battery and it still works to this day. And I don't buy the "it won't be as water proof". You just seal the inside between the battery and the internals just like you do now except with some notches and a clip system to hold a battery in-place. No way is it that much more difficult.

Argument doesn’t hold water.

Water damage is a possibility, battery failure or at least heavily reduced capacity a certainty.

Obviously they just don’t want devices staying in use for upwards of ten years, which, with the current overkill specs for glorified web browsing machines, is certainly possible as long as devices are not gimped intentionally through software.

In the long term, Apple wants to sell new phones, not new batteries.

"Planned obsolescence", the battery is THE reason that keeping/"fixing" an old phone doesn't make "financial" sense, assuming there's an OS that still supports it out there, maybe LineageOS. Hopefully there will be something similar for iphones in the future...

Never ever believe a Corp at face value.

Gee I wonder how all those washers we replace in taps etc - often under mains pressure do it.?
How do those camera cases for diving to extreme depths do it ?

Not too PC to use the stick ( death and dismemberment ) - but lets use the carrot - could your company provide a replacement battery - that easily maintains integrity from water - $10 Million bonuses for all upper management and directors - Oh yes Sir - we have the best design engineers - easy as .

Thing is you could make the battery have it's own slot like sim cards - so rest of phone is not compromised - -oh horror it will be slightly thicker - yet batteries are getting more powerful and thinner

I remember when they had phones with removable batteries. They were VERY dependable.
But over the years, they've pushed the "water resistance" IP rating, sealed up the phones, made
them impossible to take apart without destroying them so in a couple years when the battery starts
to fail, or (Apple did this) they push an update that slows down the phone, to "extend the life of the battery
(wink wink), you will come in and spend a thousand dollars on a new one.
Flashlights have batteries. Radios have batteries, pretty much everything has batteries...and most of them
are REPLACEABLE.

Everything can be solved by changing the EULA or TOS as most companies do to avoid liability. How many times have you seen these change in a year? Prices will rise.

I think that complaining is part of the process, eventually they will be forced to comply with this rules and eventually they will find a way to keep on screwing us

apple-good-condition-looking-itself-mirror-its-back-rotten-deception-psychological-concept-183149019.jpg

Typical banhammer. Why not just regulate a minimum lifetime? Many phones stop recieving os updates after the first year anyways… I’d choose integrated battery if I had the choice

It might he harder for Apple to get a IP68 rating, but that is all it will do. To use that as an argument to deny the end-user the possibility of replacing the component that will wear down the fastest is a really bad argument.

Typical banhammer. Why not just regulate a minimum lifetime? Many phones stop recieving os updates after the first year anyways… I’d choose integrated battery if I had the choice
Because what you said makes zero sense and I don't even need to explain why. I'm sorry for putting it like this, but that's the simple truth.

Another pointless argument of Apple. People know (or should) that when they attempt to fix something on their own, there is no guarantee and they live with the results, and it's always been that way .....

Apple should decouple the battery entirely from the phone itself and add a capacitor to the phone that provides enough charge to swap the battery without shutting down the phone.

Apple can sell / license magsafe battery sleeves in various sizes. Then consumers can choose an ultra slim, low capacity battery or a big honker that lasts all week, or both.

Or! Or! Here's an idea that more people would buy into: Having replaceable batteries in their phones would impede their ability to "influence" those same customers to buy a "new" iPhone. And this not only applies to Apple, but to Samsung and others who have also abandoned replaceable batteries in their flagship phones.

How about this, Apple? Perhaps focus on making each new version of the iPhone SO MUCH better than the previous one, that customers would see the value of upgrading to a new phone over just replacing an ageing battery.

The EU is about 10-15 years too late.

No, because....
Charging is MUCH faster now.
Battery life is MUCH longer now.
Phones are waterproof.
Last thing we need are people buying cheap battery replacements online.
Batteries and covers will break apart from the phone when dropped.
How many people do you know with a Galaxy S or iPhone that said they would keep their phone beyond their contract if they could swap the battery?

The EU has lost its mind on this one.

The EU is about 10-15 years too late.

No, because....
Charging is MUCH faster now.
Battery life is MUCH longer now.
Phones are waterproof.
Last thing we need are people buying cheap battery replacements online.
Batteries and covers will break apart from the phone when dropped.
How many people do you know with a Galaxy S or iPhone that said they would keep their phone beyond their contract if they could swap the battery?

The EU has lost its mind on this one.

No.

The EU are right. So much is wasted just because batteries have degraded, and people are forced to get new devices that they needn't have to.

Devices can be made water and dust resistant with readily replaceable batteries too.

Back