Report: Intel will cut desktop CPU prices by 10-15% as Ryzen 3000 draws near

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: It’s just over two weeks until AMD’s full Ryzen 3000 family of processors arrive, and it appears Intel is concerned about the effect they may have on its own chip sales. As such, the company is reportedly planning to reduce the price of its eighth- and ninth-generation CPUs by 10 to 15 percent.

The report comes from DigiTimes, citing sources from motherboard makers. It claims Intel has already notified its downstream PC and motherboard partners about the processor price drops, which could see anything from $25 to $75 knocked off the CPUs.

If the report is accurate, the enthusiast eight-core/16-thread Core i9 9900K will be one of the chips to see a price reduction, as will the i7-9700K, and the i5-9600K. We’ll have to wait and see how much any potential changes affect the retail market, as they may be aimed more at OEMs.

AMD said its upcoming processors, based on the new Zen 2 cores, offer comparable performance against Intel’s equivalent CPUs when it comes to gaming while outperforming them in various single and multi-threaded benchmarks and being more competitively priced. The 7nm chips also have lower power consumption and come with PCIe 4.0 support, which enables devices such as Gigabyte’s "Aorus AIC Gen4" SSD card that can reach 15 GB/s.

There’s also the fact that Intel has been stuck on 14nm for nearly five years, having only just announced 10nm Ice Lake-U laptop chips at Computex, with its 10nm desktop CPU not set to arrive until 2022.

AMD’s Ryzen 3000 chips launch on July 7. Should Intel’s price drop reach individual retail components, it might soon be a good time to upgrade your PC.

Permalink to story.

I have the i7 9th gen. got it like 2 months ago. I knew about ryzen coming but I like Intel. AMD had there shots yrs ago n failed imo. I wont buy amd.
I dont have any issues with my Intel. I use my system for gaming not for work. so I havent run into any security problems that have been reported. havent had any performance issues either.

I'm neither an Intel or AMD fanboy. My systems are currently running Intel processors, however at the time I purchased them (several years ago) they offered the best performance for the price. That being said, I am glad to see that there is competition again and intend to purchase a threadripper when the third generation is launched.

I generally keep my systems for 5 or more years, and I'm looking forward to building a new computer. There is nothing better than putting together a new system and booting it up for the first time.

I have the i7 9th gen. got it like 2 months ago. I knew about ryzen coming but I like Intel. AMD had there shots yrs ago n failed imo. I wont buy amd.
I dont have any issues with my Intel. I use my system for gaming not for work. so I havent run into any security problems that have been reported. havent had any performance issues either.

That is just stupid thinking, why wouldn't you buy AMD if they provide a better products?

Mobo's failing on my rig and I couldn't wait any longer. But I also failed to research anything Ryzen, so that's on me. ~$50 penalty, but I need to get this rectified asap. Not the end of the world.

Well if you need your PC that's a different story but might not be too late to return it and get something better :)

Who said they were better? They are about the same as Intel and they havent proven to be better than Intel in gaming.
Leaving aside the whichproductisbetter debate, and the somewhat harsh criticism of your reasoning by Adi6293, your remark does raise an interesting point about how much AMD still has to work against the negative impression it has amongst PC gamers from its previous products. The current range of products are very strong and well priced - there's nothing wrong with them at all.

Who said they were better? They are about the same as Intel and they havent proven to be better than Intel in gaming.

Rzyen 2000 was already performing at ~90% of Intel Coffee lake cpus in terms of single core IPC for gaming and Ryzen 2000 equaled or beat Intel at games that require a lot of cores. Ryzen 3000 is supposed to have a 15% increase in IPC + additional core clock boost.

So Ryzen 3000 should be at least on par or exceed current Intel cpus in terms of IPC and lower-core games, and easily beat Intel cpus in games that like more cores.

You really should have at least waited for benchmarks.

Zen2 is all gas and Intel is still stingy. Terrible time to buy a cpu. Guess I'm waiting another year or 2 for whatever comes next.

5820K still going strong. Although overclock seems to have dropped slightly over time. Chip degradation.

Overall a good investment if I do say so myself :D

I think it'll tide me over until Zen 3 or whatever :p
Just get those clocks up past 4.0GHz stock and you've got a killer chip.

If only the 9900K didn't suck so much power, this price cut may have gotten me to buy one.

Pushing 14nm to its absolute limits. Squeezing every last drop out of the aging node.

I just wanna cry in joy................ Trump president and INTEL slowing losing to AMD I'm just so happy!!!!!

I dont need benchmarks to make a decision. I can make that on my own.
why would I go with AMD when im happy with Intel? Cause they are cheaper but not any better.
Again AMD had chance after chance. They failed. Now they finally have a equal product but I wont be buying it. Intel is my choice and likely always be.

If only the 9900K didn't suck so much power, this price cut may have gotten me to buy one.
I realize that buying the i9-9900K and then not OCing it is a waste of money but seeing as the last few percent of GHz is the most costly in terms of power I wonder if the 9900K is still, well, a decent buy for gaming if just run at 4.7GHz or even 4.5 GHz for the power savings. I assume that an 8700K at 5.0 would outperform a 9900K at 4.5 or even 4.7 but still at lower total power draw, but maybe not?

I realize that buying the i9-9900K and then not OCing it is a waste of money but seeing as the last few percent of GHz is the most costly in terms of power I wonder if the 9900K is still, well, a decent buy for gaming if just run at 4.7GHz or even 4.5 GHz for the power savings. I assume that an 8700K at 5.0 would outperform a 9900K at 4.5 or even 4.7 but still at lower total power draw, but maybe not?
I would expect it to run cooler with 2 less cores. Here is a link to benchmarks https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-8700K/4028vs3937

5820K still going strong. Although overclock seems to have dropped slightly over time. Chip degradation.

Overall a good investment if I do say so myself :D

I think it'll tide me over until Zen 3 or whatever :p
Just get those clocks up past 4.0GHz stock and you've got a killer chip.

Pushing 14nm to its absolute limits. Squeezing every last drop out of the aging node.

I had a 5820K before my 2700X, it was excellent value for the price at the time and it's performance over time has held up well.

Yes, those last few GHz are very power costly but even not going for them, you'd likely still see 30% more power consumption. Really we have to wait and see the benchmarks for exact numbers. At stock though, it'll likely only match a 3700 in gaming and loose in multi-thread. If we assume this price cut comes true, the 9900K would move down to $450. That's still $120 more then the 3700 and the 3700 comes with a nice CPU cooler, another $40 savings. For the same price of the 9900K, you could get a 3900X even after a price reduction.

We'll have to wait and see though, all this assumes AMD's IPC figures are correct.

In response to your second question, yes an 8700K will outperform a 9900K in most games when clocked higher. Not sure about the power draw though.

Back