Ryzen 7 5800X3D vs. Core i7-12700KF: Best CPU For Gamers

I would like to see how the 5800X3D stacks up with the next generation of GPUs. It's clear that in more CPU bound games is where this CPU shines, but at 4K, most games are still GPU bound. With the next generation of GPUs, my guess is that you will start to see the X3D break away a little more in 4k, especially in the 1 % lows. I'm not sure that its worth replacing my 5800X, but, if there is ever a decent price drop it might be an upgrade that would push back the upgrade cycle for a little while longer.

"For those of you interested, the 5800X and 12700KF were evenly matched overall. The Ryzen 7 CPU was a bit slower, though only by a 5% margin on average. There were just 10 games where the 5800X was slower by a 10% margin or greater, and then just a single example where it was faster by a double digit margin (Death Stranding). Then there were 17 games where the margin between the two was 5% or less in either direction which we deem a tie."

I personally would go with the intel CPU for my desktop, but for a laptop, I wouldn't mind the Ryzen if the price was right!

I would have liked to see the results with DDR5 ram... since those just going for pure gaming performance would be using that...

Not to mention the point of getting the KF is that it is able to be OCd... you can't do that with the 5800x3d...

Clearly the Intel is the superior CPU, but this benchmark puts it in the least favourable light.

This CPU is released at end of the life of 5xxx series, so I'd say it is a proposal for people who are looking for a cheap upgrade of their own AMD CPU (they can install it on 300, 400 and 500 lines of motherboard which is actually both impressing and affordable).
For anyone who is looking for gaming PC _right now_ intel is better option.
For anyone, who is thinking about upgrade but can wait a few months, it is better to wait and see what new gen amd cpus' will show, because if they got this performance on already all die, there is chance that a wait will be worth it. And if not, get an Intel.
Personally, I'm going to wait to the end of the year. Will see what will be the Intel's 'tock' and new AMD platform. But I rather go with AMD again, was very happy with their products.

The 5800x3d is a really interesting part, honestly I think its lead will continue to grow as the years drag on.
It might (not guaranteed though) pull ahead further with the next gen of CPU that might move the ‚GPU bound‘ resolution by one tier, I.e. 1080p - 1440p, 1440p -> 4K but that‘s assuming you get a higher end graphics card.

Not a single mention of PCIe5. But when Zen 2 launched with PCIe4 it was talked about everywhere, even written on the box of the CPUs.

Not saying any gamer needs PCIe5. But we said the same about PCIe4 at the time and then AMD released a bunch of GPUs with 4X or 8X PCIe4 lanes that suffered on PCIe3 or lower boards.

I'm not sure what AMD did to you but they must have crapped in your corn flakes lol. You are so pro Intel & Nvidia now days what happened to those days where you were totally unbiased and just did reviews for the sake of doing reviews and showing us the pro's and cons of a product. You give credit to the Intel CPU when it got spanked by saying it gave a good showing and yet it got spanked. If AMD beats Intel by 8-10 FPS you say it's neck and neck when clearly it's not. Anyways I'm done lol

I'm not sure what AMD did to you but they must have crapped in your corn flakes lol. You are so pro Intel & Nvidia now days what happened to those days where you were totally unbiased and just did reviews for the sake of doing reviews and showing us the pro's and cons of a product. You give credit to the Intel CPU when it got spanked by saying it gave a good showing and yet it got spanked. If AMD beats Intel by 8-10 FPS you say it's neck and neck when clearly it's not. Anyways I'm done lol
They added a bit of cache, underclocked the CPU, raised the price, and called it "the best gaming CPU"...

They neglected to mention it can't be upgraded in the future, can't be OC'd, and can be matched in performance by Intel CPUs that cost far less...

Where's the problem?

They added a bit of cache, underclocked the CPU, raised the price, and called it "the best gaming CPU"...

They neglected to mention it can't be upgraded in the future, can't be OC'd, and can be matched in performance by Intel CPUs that cost far less...

Where's the problem?
The problem is that they completely ignored the 6GB advantage that the 6800 XT has over the RTX 3080 saying that "The future is uncertain so we're talking about NOW." and now they're changing that mantra to again be in favour of someone other than AMD. I got my 6800 XT because I play the long game and 16GB tops 10GB in the long-term by a huge margin.

However, that didn't affect their analysis in the least as they still recommended the RTX 3080 over the RX 6800 XT despite it costing hundreds more (at the time). They specifically said that they weren't talking about the future but here they are, talking about it now that it's not in AMD's favour. They didn't even mention it in the beginning. I'm guessing that quite a few people (myself included) called them out for ignoring the massive 6GB VRAM advantage on the Radeons.

I don't blame Rocky for calling them biased because it certainly does appear that they're willing to use the future against AMD but not for it. Consistency is key when you're doing reviews. What is valuable (or not) in one category should also be valuable (or not) in another, especially when the categories are so closely related like with CPUs and GPUs. When there is inconsistency in what is considered valuable and it always seems to skew in one direction (in both cases, AWAY from AMD), it's usually a result of bias.

Maybe nVidia's blacklisting made them more afraid than they'll admit. I mean, after what nVidia did, I would have expected their bias to be in the opposite direction. I know that it would be for me, no matter who did it.

Last edited:
Incredible chip, thanks for including the performance vs. 5800x as well. I think for high refresh gaming it's a huge deal but for high res gaming e.g. the way monitors are going towards 4k with next gen gpu coming, probably less so
One could even say that it's less so even right now. The framerates offered by the RX 6800 (and every card above it) are right in the sweet spot now for 1440p and that's with current processors. Hell, even my R5-3600X doesn't really need an upgrade (which is why I haven't upgraded it yet).

Not a single mention of PCIe5. But when Zen 2 launched with PCIe4 it was talked about everywhere, even written on the box of the CPUs.

Not saying any gamer needs PCIe5. But we said the same about PCIe4 at the time and then AMD released a bunch of GPUs with 4X or 8X PCIe4 lanes that suffered on PCIe3 or lower boards.
When Zen2 (or let's say, AMD x570 chipset launched) there were also Radeon RX 5000 -series GPUs launched around same time. Both x570 and RX 5000 -series support PCIe 4.0 so basically there was use for PCIe 4.0.

Here I list every current GPU that supports PCIe 5.0:

And currently following NVMe SSDs that support PCIe 5.0 are available:

-

As for cut down PCIe lanes, those who are using older hardware with no PCIe 4.0 support, should look other cards. PCIe 4.0 x8 is more than enough for AMD cards that only have x8 PCIe interface. Prepare to see PCIe 5.0 x8 cards too.

As for cut down PCIe lanes, those who are using older hardware with no PCIe 4.0 support, should look other cards. PCIe 4.0 x8 is more than enough for AMD cards that only have x8 PCIe interface. Prepare to see PCIe 5.0 x8 cards too.
I believe it because PCI-Express v4.0 wasn't even that old when PCI-Express v5.0 came out. I seem to remember that when PCI-Express v3.0 came out, even with the huge length of time that PCI-E v2.0 was en vogue, v3 was still a complete waste of time for the first couple years of its existence.

The problem is that they completely ignored the 6GB advantage that the 6800 XT has over the RTX 3080 saying that "The future is uncertain so we're talking about NOW." and now they're changing that mantra to again be in favour of someone other than AMD. I got my 6800 XT because I play the long game and 16GB tops 10GB in the long-term by a huge margin.

However, that didn't affect their analysis in the least as they still recommended the RTX 3080 over the RX 6800 XT despite it costing hundreds more (at the time). They specifically said that they weren't talking about the future but here they are, talking about it now that it's not in AMD's favour. They didn't even mention it in the beginning. I'm guessing that quite a few people (myself included) called them out for ignoring the massive 6GB VRAM advantage on the Radeons.

I don't blame Rocky for calling them biased because it certainly does appear that they're willing to use the future against AMD but not for it. Consistency is key when you're doing reviews. What is valuable (or not) in one category should also be valuable (or not) in another, especially when the categories are so closely related like with CPUs and GPUs. When there is inconsistency in what is considered valuable and it always seems to skew in one direction (in both cases, AWAY from AMD), it's usually a result of bias.

Maybe nVidia's blacklisting made them more afraid than they'll admit. I mean, after what nVidia did, I would have expected their bias to be in the opposite direction. I know that it would be for me, no matter who did it.

"The RX 6800 does offer an advantage with its larger VRAM buffer. At 16GB you're getting twice as much VRAM and that's going to be of benefit in the not too distant future. We've got a few resent examples where the RTX 3070 is hamstrung by its 8GB VRAM buffer. Doom Eternal using the 'Ultra Nightmare' preset is one example, Cyberpunk 2077 with ray tracing enabled is another. In two years or so, the Radeon 6800 may be better equipped to deliver better image quality simply because it can take advantage of massive texture packs, however at present the GeForce does well enough in a wide majority of scenarios."
https://www.techspot.com/review/2174-geforce-rtx-3070-vs-radeon-rx-6800/

"The Radeon RX 6700 XT remains a solid graphics card and should hold up well into the future, largely thanks to that 12GB VRAM buffer. We're starting to see a few examples where you can run out of memory with 8GB of VRAM, though they're still few and far between. Right now, you can easily get away with an 8GB frame buffer, but whether or not that will be true in a year or two remains to be seen. I'm a little doubtful, at least for those seeking maximum in-game visuals."
https://www.techspot.com/review/2227-geforce-rtx-3070-vs-radeon-6700-xt/

The advantage of the Radeon RX 6800 XT is the larger VRAM buffer, and long term this should see it age well, though 18 months from its initial release, the RTX 3080 is still good.
https://www.techspot.com/review/2427-geforce-rtx-3080-vs-radeon-6800-xt/

Just when I thought your comment couldn't get any further off base I get to the end, honestly comments like these are just disappointing. The fact that you expected Nvidia's behavior to influence our product reviews just shows you don't know who we are or what we stand for.

I really wish some of you would stop now and then and think "Am I the fanboy?" Here is some of the negative content we've posted since Nvidia went full stupid on us:

Could we have mentioned the PCIe 5.0 support? Sure. But we're already recommending the 12700KF for everyone who doesn't require the absolute best gaming performance. To further answer your question, PCIe 4.0 was talked about more because there was a much bigger industry push, many more new products and people were excited about it. The same buzz is not around PCIe 5.0 and with PCIe 4.0 yet to make a significant impact, especially on gaming, I'd say that's why.

Last edited:
Another non-existent CPU from AMD and another biased comparison artic
You can buy it right now, Newegg.com for example. Is stock more limited than we'd like? Yes, but also welcome to 2021... I mean 2022.
Is your argument here that when a product is extremely popular it doesn't really exist?
Finally just because I'd love to know on a personal level, who is this comparison 'biased' towards? Thank you in advance.

You can buy it right now, Newegg.com for example. Is stock more limited than we'd like? Yes, but also welcome to 2021... I mean 2022.
Is your argument here that when a product is extremely popular it doesn't really exist?
Finally just because I'd love to know on a personal level, who is this comparison 'biased' towards? Thank you in advance.
5900x is $399 and the 3D is $491.... I know what I’d be buying...

Yeah hard to say on that one. If you want maximum fps for competitive shooters, race sims, RTS titles and so on the 5800X3D is the obvious option.
If you're interested in core heavy productivity as well as gaming, the 5900X is the better choice.
If you want max FPS for maybe 6 months.... but why pay $500?!? For the majority of users, the 5900x will game just as well, will be superior in every other aspect - and cost almost $100 less.

But unless you just MUST upgrade your Ryzen now, waiting for next gen would be smarter.

If you want max FPS for maybe 6 months.... but why pay $500?!? For the majority of users, the 5900x will game just as well, will be superior in every other aspect - and cost almost $100 less.

But unless you just MUST upgrade your Ryzen now, waiting for next gen would be smarter.
I'm not going to argue either way with you, the fact is if you want the fastest possible gaming performance in the AM4 socket the 5800X3D is it. The 5900X is really for a different use case, at no point do I expect the 5900X to be better for gaming, and really longevity isn't the concern anyway.
Flagship gaming CPUs aren't anything new and while I well and truly recognize that they're not for all games and that most gamers don't need them, that doesn't mean they're not the fastest option for those that want them.

I'm not going to argue either way with you, the fact is if you want the fastest possible gaming performance in the AM4 socket the 5800X3D is it. The 5900X is really for a different use case, at no point do I expect the 5900X to be better for gaming, and really longevity isn't the concern anyway.
Flagship gaming CPUs aren't anything new and while I well and truly recognize that they're not for all games and that most gamers don't need them, that doesn't mean they're not the fastest option for those that want them.
In this case for right now, Ryzen 9 5900X Amazon's Choice down by -31% $393.65

Longevity SHOULD be a concern as you won’t be able to upgrade the cpu on this chipset past the 5950… the 5900 will clearly give you a far better bang for the buck in almost all cases.

Back