Second comp is giving me problems too, help !

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadgyrl514

My other comp was working fine, but there was a spark in the power supply but it was still working for awhile, except I'd have to fight with it to get it to turn on. So I bought a new power supply, much stronger than what it was before, changed all the memory as well.
NOW... it turns on, but the HDD doesn't spin or anything, and when it finishes loading past the bios and all that, all it shows is a black screen that says "boot error, please insert system disk and retry" and when I install my winXP cd, it loads enuff to get to the screen where i can choose to repair or install anew, and when i choose either it says that windows cannot detect a HDD.

What could the problem be ?

Hard drive

your hard drive is probably ruined. You could make a reformat disk and see if you can reformat the hard drive to get it to work. But it probably was damaged by the spark. The reformat disk can be found somewhere on the internet.

Try going to the Control Panel, Systems and Device Manager. Under Device Manager find the controller the hard drive is connected to and uninstall it in the Device Manager. Restart Windows to let it reinstall it. See if that gets the hard drive recognized.

mailpup said:
Try going to the Control Panel, Systems and Device Manager. Under Device Manager find the controller the hard drive is connected to and uninstall it in the Device Manager. Restart Windows to let it reinstall it. See if that gets the hard drive recognized.

That would be a good idea dude, BUT, I can't even get INTO windows to be able to do that ! It doesn't load, cause the hdd don't turn on.

what's weird though, is that when I go into the bios, the hdd is detected AND its said that its functioning properly, I don't understand.

I already changed the ide cables, and no luck, could something be wrong with my hdd ? I dunno, cause when I transfer it to my brother's comp, now that isn't detecting it either. I've tried other hdd in my comp and they won't start up either. :confused:

boot priority?

is the boot priority set right just asking incase u may have over looked it. if it is set to boot from hd first then considering that other hd's dont boot either, then maybe your prob lies in the motherboard itself.

Ruder said:
The HDD is broken. Get another.

I can understand one HDD being broken, BUT ALL SIX !?!?!?!

I've tried 6 different HDD in that comp and they ALL do the same thing. Loads past the bios but then a blk screen comes up saying BOOT ERROR, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND RETRY

then when i put in my winXP cd, it loads, BUT when I try to repair or even install it over from fresh, it says "WINDOWS XP SETUP CANNOT DETECT A HARD DRIVE ATTACHED TO THIS MACHINE"

more info

ok tell us a little more bout your puter such as board, hard drives, cpu, mem, drivers, etc, not sure if i can help but with the added info maybe someone can. i had a prob today with my hard drive having a boot error also, mine was a disc read error, after trying to fix and repair windows i realized the only thing i had done new was add my digital cam, so i unpluged it and now it works fine. try unplugging anything you dont need, and make sure your psu has enough power for your system.

PS: sigs

this is where sigs would be nice such as this. ahh but maybe we can here and I just havnt tried to hard to figure it out lol.

Attachments

• NF3-Sig2-1.jpg
    NF3-Sig2-1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 7
Ink mentioned it earlier. Possibly your mobo is bad.

That would explain why you can`t get any hdd to work.

It`s not uncommon for a psu to take out the mobo when it goes bad.

Ink. As for your example of sigs. Techspot decided that they would clutter up the threads too much. If all members would fill in their user profiles. There wouldn`t be a problem.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back