Secondhand EVGA GTX 460 -- no signal!

This is my first time posting on any forum, so please excuse me if I miss some things out.

I recently got a second hand EVGA GTX 460 1gb OC from an online auction site.

I have a Dell XPS 420 which had a 425w psu in it.

I installed the card and attached both 6pin power cables and I got a single beep, no signal and my computer wouldn't boot into the operating system. I figured this might be due to my power supply being under the recommended wattage so I bought a Zippy 600w psu and I'm still having the same problem.

My old card still works fine, so no problem with the motherboard.
I've tried uninstalling the old gpu drivers and still nothing.
The error code that my computers lights display translates to "Other failure" which according to dell means there is most likely a hardware failure.

Is this a common problem and is there a solution? or am I now the proud owner of a $230 paperweight.

Thanks in advance.
Nesh.

Maybe Dell don't allow you to change the graphics card? Maybe you can try the card in a friend's PC.

Btw $230 is very expensive for that card, about twice the market value.

That beep is all telling. I'd guess you were sold an expensive paper weight, but you need to test that in a different computer first to be sure. Video cards don't use a bunch of amps until Windows boots, the driver is loaded and you're playing a game that can push the card.

I agree with Cinders' post, however, I have used my 5750 in an older computer with a 500watt supply. the 12v rail didn't have enough amps on it for the card and did the same thing the OP said.

I would try one more power supply that is high ampage on the 12v rail(s).

Back