Sharp to launch the world's first 8K TV next month in Japan for $133,000

midian182

Staff member

If you think 4K just doesn’t have enough pixels, then Sharp may have the answer to your prayers; next month, the company will start selling what is said to be the world’s first production 8K TV in Japan – at a bargain price of $133,000.

The 85-inch LV-85001 offers up a resolution of 7680 x 4320, or 104 pixels per inch, making it eight times the resolution of a standard HD TV. The screen will utilize Sharp’s IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) backplane and a number of other technologies by the company. It's claimed that the TV's contrast ratio is 100,000:1 and that it has a viewing angle of 176 degrees.

One issue that anyone who buys this TV will face is that there’s no actual 8K content being broadcast at the moment. The LV-85001 does have a TV tuner built in, but the first 8K broadcast tests aren’t schedule to begin in Japan until next year. Japanese broadcaster NHK will be conducting the 8K tests, and it says it hopes to have the service up and running in time for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.

Sharp says the TV will be available to business customers from October 31st, following a demonstration at the CEATEC trade show next month. In order to watch 8K video on the TV, the source needs to be connected through all four HDMI 2.0 inputs at once.

With 4K content still in its infancy, we’re likely a long, long way off 8K becoming a widely used resolution. Hopefully when (or if) 8K does becomes more widespread, any TVs that can display the resolution will no longer cost the same as a sports car.

Image credit: Seattle Times

Permalink to story.

"TVs that can display the resolution will no longer cost the same as a sports car".
You mean F1 car. Sports cars can be had for a lot less.

Right.. Useless. Like mentioned. We can't even get real 1080p video.

Hell, we can't even get real 720p video. As in bitrate and not compressed to ****!

Right.. Useless. Like mentioned. We can't even get real 1080p video.

Hell, we can't even get real 720p video. As in bitrate and not compressed to ****!

This is true to an extent. Pretty much any online distribution service absolutely sucks when it comes to bitrate. The compression is so heavy handed you can see artifacts on pretty much any dark area.

As for HD broadcasting in the USA, we're still using 720p for sports or anything with a lot of motion, and 1080i for things like newscasts. The infrastructure still can't handle 1080p due to the bandwidth requirements.

And people thought 4K was useless.

"The 85-inch LV-85001 offers up a resolution of 7680 x 4320, or 104 pixels per inch, making it eight times the resolution of a standard HD TV."

um 8k is 16 times the resolution of 1080 and 36 times the resolution of "standard HD" aka 720.

Well, at least in a few years we might get to see VR headsets with 2x 8K screens to completely remove the screen door effect. all we would need is a video card 10 times more powerful than current gen.

You're a few million $ off the price of an F1 car.
I'm being sarcastic. $133000 for a TV is absolute and utter madness.
Yes, but it's not for buying, it's for talking about and learning from. The first word in the headline is SHARP, and that word SHARP is all over the story and news sites today. It's great advertising.
Sharp will also learn more about producing screens with this new technology and that means cheaper stuff in the future, newer and different products in the future, etc.
I'd be surprised if they actually expect to sell any. Maybe some store will buy one to attract customers because they can get away with 3 mins of looping video, but it's not for actual use... no matter how rich someone is.

Yes, but it's not for buying, it's for talking about and learning from. The first word in the headline is SHARP, and that word SHARP is all over the story and news sites today. It's great advertising.
Sharp will also learn more about producing screens with this new technology and that means cheaper stuff in the future, newer and different products in the future, etc.
I'd be surprised if they actually expect to sell any. Maybe some store will buy one to attract customers because they can get away with 3 mins of looping video, but it's not for actual use... no matter how rich someone is.
True, Sharp does get great publicity but you do get people who'll plonk down 133K for a living room TV just to brag about it. Too much money and not enough brains.

You're a few million $ off the price of an F1 car.
I'm being sarcastic. $133000 for a TV is absolute and utter madness.

But, people WILL buy it. Unfortunately, there are morons in this world with more money then sense... Also unfortunately, I'm not one of them... /sigh

"the source needs to be connected through all four HDMI 2.0 inputs at once"

Wouldn't it make more sense to use display port? This TV is the first of its kind and has the ability to create the standard for 8K video delivery, so they use 4 HDMI 2.0 ports, fantastic... Still amazing how far behind north America is falling when it comes to broadcasting standards, a world leader in the entertainment industry, just not so good at getting the video to the people, oh wait Piracy is to blame right Hollywood?

When I was buying my current tv I noticed all viable 4k ones had like 2x power consumption compared to 1080p. Also the inputlag was horrible so gaming was out of question with those. Bought a high end full hd sony and been very happy, electricity bill halved (had plasma) and most games run barely 60fps on 1080p so no need for higher resolution (gtx 970oc, i7 4770k). Maybe when I have 5000$ to spend on computer every 2 years to play latest games in 4k I can see getting 4k g-sync monitor (if they haven't made 4k gaming tv yet).

Does the 8k tv have 1000w power as big as xboxone with fans and such? Also if 4k inputlag is horrible can just imagine what 2x resolution does to it.

Back