Should I buy a new card or SLI the one I have

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerlinFist

Hi, I currently have XFX Geforce 8800GT XXX Alpha Dog. This is a great card when bought it a year ago but feel the need to either relace it or SLI it.

Has anyone SLI one of these cards? or would it be prudent to upgrade to a more modern card?

If some one has (sli'ed) what sort of increase would I expect from something like far cry 2 or cysis

SLI is great technology. But then you would have 2 cards that underperformed instead of one good one that you could probably use for the next iteration of Windows. I'd upgrade if I were you and save the one you have for emergencies, or Ebay it.

I'd upgrade too, if you think you can sell your current or reuse it in another machine.

I would do it for different reasons than Cybelex though. He says you'd get a good one you could use for the next Windows, but that won't happen, instead you will be in the same situation you are in now, just in another year or so.

IMO SLI is only good if you are rich and "today's" very best cards still aren't good enough for you, so you need 2+ of them.

Buying a system capable of SLI and using 1 graphics card with the intention of buying that card again later to boost performance isn't an idea I like because inevitably there is going to be a card that comes out that will deliver more performance for a lower price.

SLI will not give you a 100% performance increase from the second card, so it's pretty pointless unless you have a monitor capable of a resolution of 1600x1200 and above, which is where the real benefits from SLI show up. Also, as Cybelex pointed out, two 8800GTs will draw more power and generate more heat than, say, an HD 4870.

Thanks for your replies, I have a native resolution of 1680x1050 and the power supply shouldn't be a problem, I have a 600w atric cool in( I think that should be powerful enough?).

I get the genernal option that a upgrade would be need, now I would love to buy the latest card but money has to play a part, but it will need to be semi furture proof and deliver excellant performance From the reviews I've seen I quite like the look of Geforce 9800GX2. It seems to be doing a lot a damage out there? what everyone's thoughts??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back