Votes: 62 72.9%

• Total voters

God Of Mana

[CENTER]Do you smoke?

It does not matter for
If I am bored...etc.
When I am nervy...etc.

Its either yes or no.[/CENTER]

Yes, I smoke around 30 to 40 cigarettes a day and have done since I was about 15 years old.

There is no disputing the fact that smoking is bad for you(hell, life is bad for you lol). However, to suggest in a factual way, that each cigarette knocks 15 minutes off your life is absurd.

As an example: My father who is 78 years old has smoked around 40 cigarettes a day since he was fifteen. If you care to do the calculations(I have;)) That means he`s lost 26 years off of his life thus far. I have serious doubts that had he not smoked, he could be expected to live to being 104 years old. :p

Sweeping statements seldom hold true, or in this case, even make much sense.

Regards Howard :)

what i want to know is how does howard have time to do all he does on here then step outside 30-40 times a day ;)

ahh, that's what i was thinking ;) i'd hate to have to go outside that many times every day, especially in good old british weather

Yeah, the weather is absolutely crap at the moment. High winds and torrential rain. Hell, I doub`t I`d even be able to light the damn things lol.

Hell, Smoking is BAD. No doubt about that, But I don't understand why People like "God of Mana" get offended if other people do it? I mean, its become socially unacceptable to smoke IN FRONT of other people, and smokers don't seem to have a problem, so whats the issue? For some people, smoking relieves stress and such. I say, If smokers decide to smoke, so be it. Hey, if they want to choose to lose 10 years or whatever so be it, It's not as if everyone who smokes is a bad person, it's just a choice or habit. Thats My Opinion. And Howard is a GOD! :p

howard_hopkinso said:
Yeah, the weather is absolutely crap at the moment. High winds and torrential rain. Hell, I doub`t I`d even be able to light the damn things lol.
You just need one of these:
family_album.jpg

Windmill Windproof & Stormproof Lighter

Lol, cheers mate. I already have a Zippo that`s pretty good at lighting in the wind, but the torrential rain we`ve had today is a complete no no. It just makes `em soggy and hard to light. :p

Howard, I got a lighter that will still light in wind or if wet. I think it's a military based design or something. Has a ruberrized case and looks very much like the yellow one Dave posted above but is dark grey.

No smoking for myself. But I do have habits that are just as costly. Like reaching my hand into my case. Couldnt that kill me tomorrow if I touched or did something wrong. I mean, highly unlikely with the way boards are designed today. But what if I was screwing on my case side, pressed too hard and the screwdrive slipped passed the fan and into that plugged in 1kw powersupply, ooops. I'd rather have a smoke than for that to happen.

Blackjack said:
Hell, Smoking is BAD. No doubt about that, But I don't understand why People like "God of Mana" get offended if other people do it? I mean, its become socially unacceptable to smoke IN FRONT of other people, and smokers don't seem to have a problem, so whats the issue? For some people, smoking relieves stress and such. I say, If smokers decide to smoke, so be it. Hey, if they want to choose to lose 10 years or whatever so be it, It's not as if everyone who smokes is a bad person, it's just a choice or habit. Thats My Opinion. And Howard is a GOD! :p
Just stating the obvious here: I can understand why people get offended when others smoke in front of them. Second-hand smoke can cause cancer. Also, cigarettes, unlike alcohol, have a strong odor that is unpleasant to some. Aversion to smokers in this light is not unlike aversion to people who fart excessively in front of others.

Whats the point in making a thread about smoking and then slagging off poeple who do??

It's like saying "I want an arguement"!!

Just seems a rather pointless thing to do to me, anyone else feel the same?

I second that notion Rik, if you know that you're so "left side" oppose to smoking then why make a thread if you know you're going to argue. Foremost passed the simple issue. I have great respect for howards, although I've only been here 6 months, he's helped me often, and countless others, smoking or non smoking users btw.

VvWolverinevV said:
cigarettes, unlike alcohol, have a strong odor that is unpleasant to some. Aversion to smokers in this light is not unlike aversion to people who fart excessively in front of others.

I won`t disagree with you there mate.

However, here in the UK a ban on smoking in enclosed public places was introduced on the 1/7/07. I`m not going to disagree with that either.

However, one complaint I`ve heard from a couple of non smokers is that now there`s no smell of smoke in the pub, all you can smell is peoples body odour lol. Another complaint is that the pubs and bars are empty cause nearly every ones out side puffing away lol.

I smoke, and I hate myself for it ...
I'm totally against corporate fatcats and here I am, supporting them!

It's a part of me now ... OH GOD HELP ME! :dead:

Wow! Since my post, I'd been away for awhile doing "life" things which were keeping me very busy and still do. This topic really took off a bit. Sorry if I offended the OP in any way with my lack of response to his question. I'd smoked a couple packs a day from the age of 17 until about 43 (11 years ago).

The reason I stated that I hoped I'd quit soon enough is because emphysema and COPD can crop up decades later in smokers...even after they'd quit. My mother passed away last year from that disease...and slowly suffocating is no way to die..believe me. I watched it happen....and I sure as hell don't want it to happen to me.

I'm happy I've quit....hopefully, it added many more years for me to enjoy my children (and hopefully, grandchildren) but everybody has the perfect right to decide their own lives, as long as they're not infringing on the lives of others. It just saddens me to see it, is all.

Howard, understand that some people...because of things that may have happened to loved ones, can sometimes be very vehement about things. That's where the anger comes in. But, I'm sure deep down, you realize that people only want to see the best for you.

Damn, this is about the most wind I've had in a long time. See, it's working already!!! :haha:

I find the odour of cigars very errmmm... nasty. Well first of all im asmatic so i cant stand the stuff.

Howard, i apologise for insulting you like that,i guess i was just having one of those days.( a bad one)
Howard, can you please edit or delete the post err...flaming me back. (no offence)
I guess i was just a little surprized that my biggest idol smokes. reply soon :)

Back