Something is completely messed up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, let me begin by telling how I got this virus.

Last night I was browsing the web and that pop up came up saying that my computer was infected and to download a certain thing to get rid of it. Now, I always knew it was a virus so I tried to close it. Only. It never gave me the option to close it, it just looped constantly avoiding being closed. Then I noticed that there was also no actual download option.

Finally after so long, I closed the thing via program manager. To my horror, I noticed a new program on my desk top "AV Cure." How it got there? I have no idea. It just instal'd itself onto my computer without my permission. So quickly I do a virus scan, trying to get rid of it as soon as possible. Even deleted several stuff, including the program.

Well, my scan picked up seven threats, all basically the same name. The thing is that it was only half way through the scan and it was extremely late at night. I decided to let the scan complete while I sleep and I'll finish in the morning. Bad idea. My computer managed to shut itself down, which has NEVER happened before.

Now on load up, it takes about a half an hour for the log in screen to load and a bit more to load the desk top. Only, I have Windows Vista, and my desktop now looks like Windows 98. On top of that, my internet on the computer doesn't work, nor does the sound. The system restore points have been erased and everything is slower than anything I have ever experienced before.

Upon scanning again, and over five hours into it (Taking FOREVER), the scan isn't detecting anything. I desperately need help.

What's going on and what can I do?

I don't want to wipe everything because my CD ROM hasn't been working for months, and it would take weeks for the computer repair man here to order one in (Or probably just find out which one I need since they're so unreliable here).

I'm officially boned hard. If I can wipe everything to the point where I can keep important things like, y'know, Vista itself, it'l be great. But I don't know what to uninstal and what to keep. Help, please!

Go to the 8-Step Virus & Malware Removal instructions, and follow them carefully. Post your scans

Yes Bobbye,
the links are good... These instructions may be hard for some users to understand. KidZine's experience posted here is typical of a simpler virus, or other malware infection. I have infected my computer on purpose, to test my "cleaning" skills many times. Avast free antivirus performs well, even with its "false" warnings which have improved greatly over the last few updates. Cleaning cookies and running scans regularly really helps keep computers running well

Tmagic, you missed my point. I have links in both of the colored text. My comment was meant to suggest to you that you put in the link for the user, not whether it should be used.

I don't need to post the Virus & Malware links, you do it perfectly. Otherwise, I just suggest the 8-Step thread

The 8 Step thread link is what I posted. I am more interested in helping the person with the problem that I am in saving 2 seconds.

My discussion with you about this is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back