Something's wrong with my laptop :(

I have an 4 year old Acer laptop. Everything was alright until this summer when it started to freeze occasionally. Here are some exaples when and how it freezes. BTW I sometimes get a BSOD or just a shutdown, but mainly freezes.

1. It freezes more when I start a game or a hardware intensive tasks. But it's not an overheating problem, because, I could play a game for hours, it would get very hot and still run normally, but when I exit the game and start web browsing that is were I expect a freeze.
2. When it freezes, I have to hold the power button for 5-10 sec to shut it down, and when I try to turn it on sometimes the screen won't go on for some reason and I have to repeat the turning off/on process a couple of times. It even happens if I have an external monitor plugged in.
3. I tried to run memtest86 but it didn't find any errors so I assume its not the RAM.

I am really struggeling without a normal working laptop because I am a student and I dont like to go through it in my classes. And buying a new laptop is not an option right now :(

Waiting for suggestions. Thank you in advance =)

It maybe your on board graphics chip. Hold on though maybe someone here will have a few ideals . You might want to post your BSOD and system specs ,Plus the make and model

Unfortunately,my laptop died today :( Nvidia graphics card was fried and even baking it in the oven (cool ghetto way to fix a fried video card) didn't show any results. From now on I hate laptops :D Well, thanks for your replies anyway

I don't love laptops either I have one but I rarely use.I prefer my desktop overall.Sorry to hear the chip is fried.

Hi, Djromikis, you got the same problem as mine, mainly freezes. I am using Asus W7 with nvidia gt7600m, it's dead after one and half year usage. The technician said that it was caused by overheating problem, I don't know exactly how, but, it might be that you've dried (evaporate?) the thermal paste or anything that causing the fan couldn't dissipate heat effectively..

Back