Sony: Up to 50% of our HDTVs to be 3D-capable by 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Sony first revealed plans for 3D-capable Bravia televisions earlier this year, and most recently it also laid out some ideas for stuffing the technology into its Blu-ray players, VAIO laptops and PlayStation 3 console. While it remains to be seen how consumers in general react to the idea, the company is apparently very confident of its success, expecting around 30 to 50 percent of all the TVs it sells from April 2012 to be 3D-enabled.

These sets will include a small piece of additional hardware to enable the 3D functionality. The extra hardware isn't likely to have a big price premium, but the glasses required to see 3D content could be sold separately for up to $200. The idea is to keep prices competitive with other sets while only requiring a higher expense from customers who want access to the additional functionality.

The company's 3D strategy is said to revolve around gaming, films and sports. But Sony isn't the only one betting on the technology to secure future sales. Earlier this month, Asus unveiled a pair of laptops with Nvidia's 3D Vision built in, and we've heard about multiple TV vendors readying a wave of 3D compatible sets for next year. We are hoping to hear a lot more details at CES 2010 this January.

Permalink to story.

Is there anyone else out there that isnt jumping on this 3D band wagon? I feel like the TV manufacturers are just trying to come out with some new variation to put more money into their pockets.

You're telling me that I just spent 3500$ on two Sony Bravia TVs that will be outdated in 2-3 years? Oh well, I'm not buying new TVs any time soon, so I guess I'll skip this new technology for the first few years.

I think the whole 3D thing in televisions and gaming systems is really really cool and all, but i'll definitly be waiting on the technology until it gets to a point where glasses are not required to see it in 3D. Get to that point and I see this as a huge success...glasses and I see it being mainly just enthusiasts buying.

I agree with the other posts, 3D is not really needed at this time. Plus with a family of 4, that would add an extra $800. I can see little Jane and John fighting over a $200 pair of 3D glasses and oops, need another pair. I'm still using old CRT TVs, which look and work just fine.

I think that this new technology is not needed now..its introduced early just to earn the manufactures more money!

manintech said:
$200 for a 3D glasses? seems like they all make lots of profit on accessories

And just as you implied, that's only the HALF of it. When the first intense 3D games come out, we'll need quite some graphics processors to figure all that information out. Can you imagine the kind of money and the power needed to enable 3D gaming? These HDTVs and 3DHD glasses are only the beginning.

Wouldn't it be so cool if you could have a 3D TV or graphics without the need for glasses? I'm just imagining myself strolling around my house. I don't want to have to sit down directly in front of the TV and put on some glasses to be able to enjoy it. It's kind of restrictive...

Here's an interesting video for you guys if you haven't been keeping up with this 3D TV thing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvn1e343Clo&feature=player_embedded . This should give you an idea of where we're headed with this thing - sure it may be a few or more years, but it'll eventually be something we all deem essential. Believe me, I've spent way more on TVs in the last 4 years than I'm willing to admit and I'm not looking forward to replacing them, but resistance is futile and there's no need to fear change.

Everything I have seen in "3D" so far just gives me a headache and overall seems kind of gimmicky. Also, watching stuff at home requires a completely dark room, otherwise, it just feels distracting.

this seems to me like a big way for sony to make alot of money on a product that will not be used as they intend it to be who is going to shell out $200 for glasses?

So whats the chance that "3DTV" will be a slightly higher resolution than 1080p to force people to yet again get new TV's?

This would be pretty cool, but I'm just a little bit confused on how this would work with gameplay. Just watching a scene in 3 dimensions is complicated enough. Being able to look around and walk through it as a character is going to be complex as hell.

i think it will be at least 5 years until 3D tv is a mainstream technology.
so no point to worry about lcd being outdated yet.

lightheart said:
I agree with the other posts, 3D is not really needed at this time. Plus with a family of 4, that would add an extra $800. I can see little Jane and John fighting over a $200 pair of 3D glasses and oops, need another pair. I'm still using old CRT TVs, which look and work just fine.
I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only other person who is using CRT's and doesn't want to toss out $800 in gizmo glasses and a several grand on TV sets to replace entertainment that is otherwise meeting it's needs.

muljator said:
i think it will be at least 5 years until 3D tv is a mainstream technology.
so no point to worry about lcd being outdated yet.

I'd be thinking it's going to take longer than that. It's taken HDTV almost a decade to become mainstream.

lmao if they think i will shell out my hard earned dollars to buy some stupid 3d glasses for $200 each... Enough Said now Called ED. LOL

Dammit! I'm still using a CRT TV that's almost 10 years old. I thought about getting an LCD TV a couple of yrs ago, but decided to wait for 120hz. Now I'm waiting for LED back-lit, local dimming sets to come down in price. By the time that happens, 3D TV will be rolling out. Guess I'll still be watching SD on my CRT for another five yrs.

hello ...

technology goes too fast, i just got myself an HDTV (almost 1 year) & now this...

well i'm sure i'll go for it for SONY also said would update the PS3 FW to support this, so mostly to get the best our of everything, i will surely get a new 3DTV ;)

will have to sell that one though, i'm not rich .. just Richy ;)

this is a nice move SONY, yet dangerous these times, the worst is that i see people complaining this & that around me but they still do continue to buy, buy buy ...

bye!

.. But if it does catch on, economies of scale will make it cheaper and more affordable, thats something I'm hoping for 2-3 years after its introduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back