Sound card not recognized by Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomad108

Hello.
Got a Dell Inspiron 1150, had to reformat the HD.' Installed windows XP pro, and I have no sound. I go to control panel and I see no sound card at all... Strange, Reboot and in Bios there is a sound card ( Sigmatel 9750- C-Major Audio)
Go back to Dell support, download the correct( and only one file there) audio driver.
Try to install and get a message that there is no sound card found... Go back to manually install sound card and rely on the file I downloaded for the .inf file, and get a sound card installed, but with a yellow ex sign on it. Try to install drivers again, and get the same error... No card installed...
Anyone can help?

• Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

OK. Might be jumping a bit ahead of things, but since you can't do it till Monday, please do the following as well

Click Start->Run, then copy/paste the command that follows. It will create file export_Media.txt on your desktop. Please attach it to your next post (use the paper clip icon)
Code:
regedit /e "%userprofile%\desktop\export_MEDIA.txt" "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

ound card on Inspiron 1150

O.K.
run the msinfo, and it did not see that there is a sound card ... Installed manually the card, and now it can see it... Here is the info on it:
Name SigmaTel C-Major Audio
Manufacturer SigmaTel
Status Error
PNP Device ID ROOT\MEDIA\0000
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\stac97.sys (5.10.3952, 258.24 KB (264,440 bytes), 11/12/2009 5:41 PM)

Now... Here is the problem info:
SigmaTel C-Major Audio ROOT\MEDIA\0000 This device cannot start.

Next here is the txt file attached here...
Still don't know why wouldn't install the driver.

Your sound card h/w is being detected and (i can see from the registry export file you provided) you installed the right driver but for whatever reason the driver won't run correctly (i.e. you get the "not started" error code)

Please try this
1. Uninstall Sigmatel using Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs (do not uninstall it using Device Manager)
2. Reboot your computer. Upon re-boot does the New Hardware Wizard pop-up? If yes, cancel it
3. Run the Problem Device report and save it (i will want to see it if this procedure doesn't work)
4. Download the Sigmatel driver from Dell and run it (it will do the install)
5. Run the Problem Device report again. If it installed and is running correctly, there should be no problem devices

If you still have problems, repeat the process above but this time also
> Look in Add/Remove programs and uninstall any programs you may have for webcams, media/sound/CD/DVD players, etc.
> Also disconnect any uneeded devices (e.g. USB devices, speakers, etc)
> And then try doing the Sigmatel driver install again

Uninstalled via the remove programs, Restarted, and windows did not ask to install drivers ( like it is not there...) Run msinfo32, here is the problem report::
SigmaTel C-Major Audio ROOT\MEDIA\0001 This device cannot start.

and in the sound device section it says:
Name SigmaTel C-Major Audio
Manufacturer SigmaTel
Status Error
PNP Device ID ROOT\MEDIA\0001
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\stac97.sys (5.10.3952, 258.24 KB (264,440 bytes), 11/16/2009 10:09 PM)

Next, Run the original Dell Driver installation... Install claims that: "Device Object not present, Restart the system , and run setup again" Did that, and it does exactly the same thing. Bottom line... still have the same problem.
did not see something like that in a long time ( never...) its like the hardware is there ... but not... and the driver is there... but not...

My best guess:
1. you have some form of registry corruption (possibly might even be a virus? any signs of other things wrong? or malware infection?)
2. I'll follow up with some other things tomorrow to double check on sound card hardware detection
3. And we can proceed to try and diagnose but you might also find it easiest to try reinstall again (once we verify in #2 above that at least the h/w is being detected correctly)

Well...its a fresh windows XP Pro install, I even tested it with windows 7 but there were many more problems with that,,, ( Video, and others,) so its a fresh xp one... No viruses,or any other type.
I am starting to fear its a MOBO problem, as I noticed now that the USB ports are installed correctly and show everywhere as functioning correctly, but any USB device I plug in is not recognized by windows.. Nothing pops up or show any signs of anything came in...But lets leave that for later, try to get me out of the mud.. I am stuck.
Thanks for all your help.

See [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]
Follow step2 to download and then boot into Knoppix. Use Knoppix to test (vs. Win7)
> Test your USB ports
> Test sound (use the Gnome MPlayer). Be sure you test with a simple sound file (that doesn't need Digital Rights/Copyright management)

Well... Knoppix installed, and could not find a sound card to play a simple wav file... USB ports are not active as well... they look in device manager as they are there and installed, and have no problems, I get power to them but no data flow to any direction...
But as I said... I am looking to find a solution to the sound problem... That starting to look to me like a mobo issue... I just hope it is not.
Tell me more.... Is there any type of hardware discovery software out there? some type of software that can detect, and point to what seem to be the issue here?
Thanks.

1) Look through your BIOS
> Is onboard sound enabled?
> Is there a BIOS setting for Legacy USB Support? If so, disable it

2) Look through all of Device Manager
> Look for any yellow icons especially under Sound. Anything?
======> Is there a category named Other Devices? Anything listed under it?
> Look under USB controllers. Anything labeled Unknown Device?

3) Download SIV
> Run it. click PCI Bus button
> Click the Copy then paste into a text file
> Click USB Bus, then Copy and append the text
> Then attach text file to a post

4) See [post=751005]How to Reinstall Your USB Controllers and Motherboard Chipset Drivers[/post]
> Reinstall both per the instructions
> Reboot and see if that helped make any difference

I don't know if my bios is correct or recent, but it does not have to many changeable parts to it..
The part that shows the sound card controller can not be changed, and just shows the type ( sigmatel 9750.
USB has only an Emulation type, that can be enabled or disabled... I tested both way and still don't have data flow on the USB ports. only power.
Device manager shows the sound card ( which I had to install manually as windows did not even recognized one on the mobo and after installing it, did the setup with Dell's own audio driver setup which keeps claiming that there is no audio device found, therefore will not install the driver for it.
and the one shows in the device manager has the yellow exclamation mark on it... DUHH...
No Unknown devices under device manager for anything else but the sound card.
Attached are the two files, looks like there is no sound card found...
I also opened the laptop, and checked the mobo for cracks or anything loose and it looks like a brand new one...
Still hoping for a solution... Thanks for all you have done until now.

I think I got a very fast, and low cost solution... I looked up at many places, and tested many things... None worked, and does look like the MOBO has an Electric issue,
So... Looked up online and found a PCMCIA USB Card at $13 with free shipping ( 4 USB ports) and a USB Sound card at $5 shipping included... May not look that nice, but will function, instead of spending about 10 times that amount for a new MOBO...
Thanks for you help, and patience.. I am still going to check that Microsoft solution, but don't really think it will work.
I will post again after checked, and also after parts arrived.

LookinAround.
I did test the chipset, and even tested some from other models of Inspiron (like 5100, and 1200, and none made any change in the USB issue.
and as for KIMSLAND Question...lets go to basics... yes, it is SP3..

Try a Windows custom Update, then look for any updated drivers
Glad its SP3, that's the first thing I would have stated to do
It could also be Malware present

Try a Windows custom Update, then look for any updated drivers
Glad its SP3, that's the first thing I would have stated to do
It could also be Malware present

Kimsland... just as a point of note about the sound problem

while "there ain't nuthin' 100% for certain when it comes to computers".... the fundamental problem (at least as i see it) is revealed back in post #13. A look at the pci.txt attachment reveals
> No Audio Controller is being detected (i.e. there's no PCI device listed, i.e. no Hardware ID, for the Audio Controller)
> also OP indicates there's no option to disable the sound card in BIOS
> These 2 facts imply h/w failure (or chipset drivers or something very fundamentally wrong that basic Plug and Play hardware detection doesn't work.)
> Note: the SIV tool uses a "short hand" notation for the PCI Hardware IDs in the list below
===> It drops the PCI\ at the start of the ID and simply lists: Vendor-Product-Subsystem-Revision (e.g. Vendor 8086= Intel to no surprise!)
Code:
[0 - 00 - 0 ]      8086-3580-017F1028-02   Host Bridge           Intel 82852GM Chipset Processor Interface Bridge (A2-step)
[0 - 00 - 1 ]      8086-3584-017F1028-02   System Peripheral     Intel 82852GM Chipset System Memory Controller (A2-step)
[0 - 00 - 3 ]      8086-3585-017F1028-02   System Peripheral     Intel 82852GM Chipset Configuration Process (A2-step)
[0 - 02 - 0 ] 11   8086-3582-017F1028-02   VGA Controller        Intel 82852GM Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (A2-step)
[0 - 02 - 1 ]      8086-3582-017F1028-02   Non VGA Controller    Intel 82852GM Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (A2-step)
[0 - 29 - 0 ] 11   8086-24C2-017F1028-01   UHCI USB Controller   Intel 82801DBM USB UHCI Controller #1 (ICH4-M A1 step)
[0 - 29 - 1 ] 11   8086-24C4-017F1028-01   UHCI USB Controller   Intel 82801DBM USB UHCI Controller #2 (ICH4-M A1 step)
[0 - 29 - 2 ] 11   8086-24C7-017F1028-01   UHCI USB Controller   Intel 82801DBM USB UHCI Controller #3 (ICH4-M A1 step)
[0 - 29 - 7 ] 11   8086-24CD-017F1028-01   EHCI USB Controller   Intel 82801DBM USB EHCI Controller (ICH4-M A1 step)
[0 - 30 - 0 ]      8086-2448-00000000-81   PCI Bridge (0-2:3)    Intel 82801DBM Hub Interface to PCI Bridge (ICH4-M A1 step)
[0 - 31 - 0 ]      8086-24CC-00000000-01   ISA Bridge            Intel 82801DBM (ICH4-M) LPC Interface Bridge
[0 - 31 - 1 ]      8086-24CA-017F1028-01   EIDE Controller       Intel 82801DBM (ICH4-M) PATA Controller
[2 - 01 - 0 ] 5    14E4-4401-017F1028-01   Ethernet Controller   Broadcom BCM440x 10/100 Integrated Ethernet Controller
[2 - 04 - 0 ] 11   104C-AC56-0000FE00-00   Cardbus Bridge (2-3)  Texas PCI1510 PC Card CardBus Controller
[3 - 00 - 0 ] 11   168C-001D-1055168C-01   Ethernet Controller   D-Link AR5007G Wireless Network Adapter

The cause for USB failure remains to be seen. Tho since this is an older computer brings up the possibility
> Windows updates to fix USB bugs
> Plus the fixit i provided for a USB bug for which there's still no MS software fix
===> And it can occur when the USB controller has no devices plugged in such as in this case

WELL... Microsoft "Fixit"... Didn't... Did reg edit myself, and still Nada...
I am inclined at this point to just go with the low cost repair.. I.E a PCMCIA USB port, and a usb sound card...
I just can't believe that it can be that difficult...
But anyways...
Thanks guys for all your help...
Ohh... BTW... Want another DOOZY? I got one, in my next post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back