Sound problem with Dell Inspiron 8600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gasp, I know, I know, A problem with a Dell computer/laptop, can you believe it!? Sigh.

Anyway, I discovered the problem this evening (it's 1am in the morning here, Christmas day, but I refuse to rest until I can reach a conclusion on the problem - how sad!). I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 Laptop. I folded the lid down while the laptop was still running, then when I picked the laptop up again and tried to play music, there was no sound. None atall. No sound from Windows Media, no system sounds, nothing. When I plug the headphones in all I get is a fuzzing noise with an occasional feint bleep.

Ive gone through XP's 'troubleshooting' thing: there is no conflicts or anything like that, all the hardware is there. I had no problems with sound prior to this evening.

I know it's vague, but thats pretty much the gist of it. I cant think of any reason why the sound has just...stopped working. My only guess is that the machine has taken a bump and somethings become dislodged internally or something, because I cant find fault with any hardware. But I know comparitively little about computers.

I will ring dell in a few days time as I should imagine their officers will be closed, so until then, Id just like a second opinion if possible.

Edit/Update:

Well...

I turned the laptop off for the night. Then remembered I needed to transfer some files over onto my other PC (music files etc.), then suddenly the sound came back on my laptop!

Absolutely no explanation for it at all. Strange.

Do you think it's still worth informing Dell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back