startmenu all users items - not appearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

WinXP Pro SP2...

For some reason unknown, an office computer I've been asked to look at has lost most of the program shortcuts from "all programs" on the start menu - the reason I've benn asked to look at it.

The programs which have dissapeared are all in the "all users" start menu folder. There are a number of items in the all users desktop folder also, and these do not show on the desktop either. This applies to both limited and administrator account types. Otherwise, the computer is running perfectly well.

this isn't something I've ever encoutered before, and isn't mentioned in the MSKB article about the recent flawed update. Could anybody please give me the possible reasons for this so that I can check them out tomorrow?

possibly - but wouldn't that only affect the desktop they clicked it on?

besides, as far as I ever knew (which may not be as far as I think!), remove unused icos only affects the desktop, and not the start-> all programs menu. Nothing in all users is appearing in either account.

What happends if you create a new user, does the new user get the icons from all users?

Have you tried to install a new programme and see if that appears in all users and the other users start menu?

Check if the programmes has a folder and a order in the registry HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1801674531-796845957-725345543-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu2\Programs

OK. will check those things asap (Not going to be there tomorrow, but should hopefully be there the day after.)

Thankyou very much. greatly appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back