Stop Errors Arghh

Status
Not open for further replies.

gb2001

I've been trying to solve this puzzle for days but with no success. My comp frequently crashes when trying to burn CDs or DVDs. I've read through and tried a number of possible solutions - cleaned fan, memory, heatsink; run memtest (no errors reported); updated drivers - but still no joy. In fact, when I run MSI's Live Update the system crashes too. The last two event manager entries were:

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 f794f95c, parameter3 ebbf5b30, parameter4 00000000.

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 eb75295c, parameter3 ec8f9b30, parameter4 00000000.

The error code and paramaters 1 and 4 are always the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System:
AMD Athlon XP
XP Home Edtn SP2
Mainboard MSI KT4V
Seagate Baracuda HDD ST3160021A
NVIDIA GEFORCE 5200
1GB Hyundai PC2700 DDR Ram
Optical Drives: Mat****a DVD SW-5981; BTC BDV 316C DVD Rom

Just type the error code and parameter1 into Google, and search. There is quite a detailed - and terrifying - document about it at Microsoft. Just pray that you don't have the Haxdoor virus <G>

Thanks Hatrick. I've read many of the 1000008e problems but none seem to fit. Also, I've worked through the Microsoft support for such problems but nothing works. As for the Hax virus, I've got uptodate antivirus software and, just to be safe, checked my registry for evidence of the virus but found nothing. If you can think of anything else ...

Have spent the entire day reading posts relating to BSODs, hoping to discern some sort of pattern - without success, I must add. But one thing registered: no matter what the fault, I would guesstimate that Nvidia appeared in 50/60% of them.

I've no idea how a video driver could affect CD burning or, indeed, whether it could, but it might be worth rolling back the driver, and any others recently upgraded if the BIOS is rather older than they.

Pure speculation on my part, so feel free to ignore.

The other thing which struck me was that many of them had two or more antivirus programmes running (in one case I think it was 6!) These can conflict with each other when they are trying to do the same job, possibly in the same place and at the same time.

I must admit I noticed quite a few instances of nvidia involvement too. But, given the number of problems reported it's hard to identify a single cause. The thing with my problem is that it's not random as such but happens only when either of my optical drives are in use or, I've recently noticed, when using MSI's Live Update facility. Everything else runs fine. I only updated the nvidia drivers after this problem began.

Sorry GB, anything else I have to say would be sheer guesswork, so I guess you'll just have to read my signature if no one else has any ideas<G>

If you zip and upload half a dozen minidumps the TS gurus may be able to offer some suggestions.

Good luck. Do please post if you find the answer.

Thanks Hatrick. If there are any special kind of people out there with the knowledge and experiince in dealing with these thimgs, some of the minidump files are attached. This is wearing me down, so any help will save me from frustration overload.

Stop 1000008e with a code of c0000005 is most often a memory based error- a new ram chip being bad, an existing one being bad, or the timing settings being wrong (if you've overclocked the ram, perhaps too far...)

I'd suggest downloading memtest86+ and running it, seeing what types of errors you come up with. Many Linux distributions include this on their install CD, if you've downloaded one lately. Otherwise you can get a boot image at http://www.memtest.org/

Also, what were the last pieces of software or driver upgrades that you installed? In particular, video drivers as mentioned above, or personal firewalls or virus scanners? Can you boot into safemode at all?

And finally, obviously you're using windows, but for our sanity can you post what version you're running? It doesn't usually, but sometimes can make a difference in this type of scenario.

Thanks Gaolie. I listed the windows version in my initial message - it's XP Home Edtn with SP2. I've unseated and reseated the memory, and cleaned everything I could. Also, I have processed memtest for three or four runs, but will give it a much longer burst to see if that helps. One other thing I'll try is to remove each memory stick in turn. From reading the various posts on similar issues and the few diagnostic bits and pieces I'd ruled out the memory as being bad - perhaps too swiftly. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks again.

The two most recent dumps are caused by NTACCESS.SYS, I think this is to do with the motherboard monitoring software by MSI. The only problem is it isn't installed in the first dump. You'll need to take it out of the picture by uninstalling it, and then post some new minidumps.

Have you tried any other burning software besides Nero?

Hi Peter. The only operations which appear to cause the crashes are the utilisation of the optical drives and the times I try to run MSI live update. Nothing else appears to bring this about. I've tried uninstalling the MSI updating software but it makes no difference to the crahses when using the drives.

I've attached a couple of earlier minidumps to see if there's anything to be found in those.

Thanks for all your efforts thus far. I'm in the process of running memtest and will keep you posted.

peterdiva said:
The two most recent dumps are caused by NTACCESS.SYS, I think this is to do with the motherboard monitoring software by MSI. The only problem is it isn't installed in the first dump. You'll need to take it out of the picture by uninstalling it, and then post some new minidumps.

Have you tried any other burning software besides Nero?

A quick update on this problem. Having tried each stick of memory in turn, the errors got worse with one stick in particular. I've been running the single stick for a while now and so far found no problems when burning disks. Also, I've run memtest for eight cycles with no reported problems. However, I'm still crashing before MSI's Live Update facility completes. My current thinking is that the two problems (MSI Live Update and CD/DVD burn) identified may be unrelated (anyone think differently?). That said, there's plenty of time for things to go wrong again. I'll try burning more projects and let you know of any further problems.

The dredded errors remain. Despite the long runs of memtest, seating and reseating of RAM, alternating RAM sticks, using different burn software, uninstalling MSI Live Update, updating all drivers possible, disabling caching and shadowing, thoroughly cleaning inner works ... nothing seems to have changed. I think I can safely conclude the problem is not a consequence of bad RAM. I'm left wondering whether or not it's a problem with one of the optical drives, as all other angles seem to have been covered. Anyone got any thoughts on the likelihood of this being the cause? I've just about exhausted my energy levels, but don't want to let the s**t grind me down - I fear I'll have no choice.

gb2001 said:
I've been trying to solve this puzzle for days but with no success. My comp frequently crashes when trying to burn CDs or DVDs. I've read through and tried a number of possible solutions - cleaned fan, memory, heatsink; run memtest (no errors reported); updated drivers - but still no joy. In fact, when I run MSI's Live Update the system crashes too. The last two event manager entries were:

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 f794f95c, parameter3 ebbf5b30, parameter4 00000000.

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 eb75295c, parameter3 ec8f9b30, parameter4 00000000.

The error code and paramaters 1 and 4 are always the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System:
AMD Athlon XP
XP Home Edtn SP2
Mainboard MSI KT4V
Seagate Baracuda HDD ST3160021A
NVIDIA GEFORCE 5200
1GB Hyundai PC2700 DDR Ram
Optical Drives: Mat****a DVD SW-5981; BTC BDV 316C DVD Rom

Sigh.. just got to write this post twice. A bunch of questions, numbered only to help keep myself straight (and not to seem pretentious.)

1. Have you removed your CD drives from the device manager, rebooted, and let them reinstall?

2. Is the blue screen stop message the same when you have MSI crash (as opposed to the CD based BSOD?

3. Did you get to try a different burning software?

4. Do you have the ability to tell what file is using a memory address? If so, look at the second parameter of your BSOD crash message (right after c0000005)- would be curious if we find a common offending file. That's the address that caused the status_access_ violation (which is what c0000005 means)

5. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the nVidia card as well? As noted nVidia can do that to some systems.

Hope this might give us a lead. I don't want to tell you to reinstall, but shy of us stumbling across the right idea/new info, I'm not sure we're going to come up with anything new.

>>1. Have you removed your CD drives from the device manager, rebooted, and let them reinstall?

Sensible suggestion. You could also see if there is any updated firmware for the drives.

>>2. Is the blue screen stop message the same when you have MSI crash (as opposed to the CD based BSOD?

Also, are you using IE or another browser, and are the updates automatic or manual? You could try variations on this theme.

{Added 12/1/07}
Google 'MsMpEng.exe'. There is some interesting stuff there, in the Windows forum, which 'might' have a bearing on the MSI problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back