STUMPED: Computer WILL NOT Power On

Status
Not open for further replies.

powermanaf

I posted in the 'Other Hardware' forum when I thought it was a power supply issue (link) but since switching out the motherboard and the power supply, I came here to see if a burned out processor would prevent anything from turning on?

I don't know what else it could be, maybe the power button just stopped working?

Then bad RAM or CPU, probably. I think that eMachine power supplies sometimes blow out other components when they go. Have any more RAM or another CPU to try in it? You can get about 64 or 128 megabytes of RAM from eBay very inexpensively, to try booting up with just the new RAM and seeing whether it works. If it does, probably bad CPU.

Ok, I got it to power on, but now whenever it tries to load into Windows, the loading screen comes up for a second and the system reboots. What would stop it fmro booting into Windows?

I have formatted the HD and reinstalled a different copy of Windows XP than the one that came on the machine.

Okay, that sounds like faulty RAM.

Please download Memtest86+'s bootable ISO from here. Extract it, then burn it to a CD. Then restart your computer and set the CD drive to the first boot priority (in BIOS). Your computer will boot from the CD as if it were an OS CD. See whether or not it finds any errors.

Regards :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back