Teardown reveals Tesla Model 3 has "best battery ever built to date"

midian182

Staff member
An in-depth look Tesla’s Model 3 has made headlines for all the wrong reasons recently, including its production delays and—admittedly temporary—failure to get recommended by Consumer Reports. But a recent teardown of the sedan has shone a light on what is an impressive and probably the most important element of the EV: its 75 kWh battery pack.

The teardown was performed by Jack Rickard and his team at EVTV. It’s an extensive process, so the video goes on for almost an hour and a half, but it’s worth viewing if you’re a fan of cars, EVs, or the technology behind these batteries.

Using a wrecked Model 3, Jack and his assistant remove the large, flat battery pack, which takes up almost all of the car’s underside.

Compared to the battery pack on the Model S, the biggest change on the Model 3 is that many of the components are integrated into the battery rather than in the vehicle itself; this includes the DC-DC converter, charger, battery management system controller, junction box, and all protection hardware. Rickard says that other than the motors, the only significant hardware left in the car would be the dashboard computer.

It’s also noted that the four modules which make up the battery pack aren’t identical: the two outer planks feature 25 cell groups, while the two inner ones have 23 cells.

Interestingly, it seems that Tesla has used its own custom microchips made specifically for the Model 3 in the Battery Management System controller.

Rickard describes the 1,054-pound battery as “a work of art,” calling it the “best battery ever built to date.” Praise that will no doubt be pleasing to the ears of Elon Musk and Tesla. Check out the full video above and this summary to find out more.

Permalink to story.

And just how many batteries has this crew disassembled to make such a claim? I'd like to see Lucid's battery for one to compare.

And it doesn't buy credibility for Model 3. Of all the complains about the car, battery wasn't one of them, but it's just one part.

And boy, than man is old, he looks like he may not make it through the entire video.

Last edited:
And just how many batteries has this crew disassembled to make such a claim? I'd like to see Lucid's battery for one to compare.

And it doesn't buy credibility for Model 3. Of all the complains about the car, battery wasn't one of them, but it's just one part.

And boy, than man is old, he looks like he may not make it through the entire video.

Lucid doesn't make it's own batteries and it is kinda in the startup state still, so for sure they don't have anything better. They just buy batteries from Samsung, LG or whoever they chose.

How do you convert DC to DC????
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC-to-DC_converter
Lucid doesn't make it's own batteries and it is kinda in the startup state still, so for sure they don't have anything better. They just buy batteries from Samsung, LG or whoever they chose.
Tesla buys batteries from Panasonic. Perhaps the better term here for the Tesla "battery" is battery pack.

Now lets not get on to age discrimination here. Some of us old farts still have plenty of stink left in us. LOL

I agree that a teardown of a single battery does not make for a good comparison. Perhaps what he meant was the best Tesla battery so far. Assuming trade wars do not put a damper on things like they are in the US solar industry, I expect that Tesla will have some competition in the battery design realm when the likes of Toyota and other mature automakers start putting their EVs on the market. It sounds like Toyota, at least, will be using a different battery chemistry. If it is truly a better battery chemistry, that will put their batteries in a different league than Tesla, and, as I see it, Tesla should be worried.

Hard to listen to this guy man.. constantly out of breath, slurping and clicking ><
Soo much yapping about nothing in between too!

....[ ].....And boy, than man is old, he looks like he may not make it through the entire video.
When you get that old, you'll be a battery expert too, or merely think and claim you are, the same as he's doing.

But, I don't see his age as the major issue. He's so fat, and no doubt out of shape, he likely had to stop from time to time to catch his breath. Which could explain the hour and a half the video encompasses.:D (I hoping snowflakes in the forum will be up in arms against my blatantly politically incorrect "body shaming". But hey, the guy looks like he's spent the better part of his adult life with a feedbag strapped to his face)..

Sadly I'm getting up there myself as well. So, perhaps the only venue I have for subsidizing my income, would be to be a "battery destroyer" as well.

How would one even begin to gain such expertise? Perhaps I could start small, so to speak, and collect dead D cells from nightstands around the country.. But then, I would have to word my requests very carefully, lest I run afoul of the "Me Too" movement.

Hm, there's something fishy about that last paragraph.:eek:

Last edited:
Assuming you're interpreting "DC", as "direct current", then yes.

OTOH, June is "LGBT Pride Month", that wonderful and wacky time of the year when, DC to DC", AC/DC", even "AC to AC" could imply anything your perverse little heart desires. (I'm going to overcome modesty and give myself, "two thumbs up" for that)...(y)(y) or maybe (n)(n)

Last edited:
Now lets not get on to age discrimination here. Some of us old farts still have plenty of stink left in us. LOL
Oh, I think I could give my younger self more than parity in putridity.

In fact, I'm going out this very afternoon, to challenge a couple of septic tanks to a duel to the death....

You pay for it and you drive it and say you own one and that's it. So much trouble to know how this car works and the batteries required.

Back