Tech Tip of the Week: A List of Common Default Router IP Addresses

Julio Franco

Staff member
Here's the scenario: you are trying to fix a relative's network issues and you need to access their router's browser interface. We've all been there, fruitlessly pecking in combinations of 192.168.x.x. Unless you have every default router address tattooed on your forearm, you'll eventually encounter one that stumps you.

This week's tip: A List of Common Default Router IP Addresses
https://www.techspot.com/guides/287-default-router-ip-addresses/

Please leave your feedback here.

Great Article, bookmarked this one! although I have a SpeedTouchST at home and the Default IP is: 192.168.1.254

We will get to work tomorrow morning adding all the IP addresses you suggest. Thank you for the uber quick responses.

Darryl: I had to sort out some issues with a home router, an australian telco Telstra branded modem/router (wireless) and I went through every 192.168's i knew of. In the end, it turned out to be 10.0.0.138, go figure.

I don't know if this is easier, but in Vista the router's ip is eventually listed in Network & Sharing Center. Possibly on Windows 7 too. Goto Start -> Connect To -> Open Network & Sharing Center -> click the middle top icon, mine says "Multiple Networks". You should see your router icon, right click it and click properties. Click the "Network Device" tab. There's the ip. This scenario is probably intuitive.

typically the router IP address is the Gateway address which can be found by performing an IPconfig. Even with all the deafult configurations out there I always change the default network when I setup a home router anyway. IE: 10.10.X.X or 192.168.20.x or something as such.

Another useful list to have here would be the default passwords that come with these routers.

prismatics said:
Another useful list to have here would be the default passwords that come with these routers.
Agreed, relatives never EVER change the default user name and password. To add to the List are these:-

SpeedTouchST
Username: admin
Password: admin

NetGear:
Password: password

BT HomeHub:
Password: (back-of-HomeHub) / password (depends on the age of the hub, the older ones vary between it just being password ot the code on the back of the box)
Also note: the Wireless WEP key is on the back as well.

Belkin:
Username: administrator
Password: password

Guest said:
typically the router IP address is the Gateway address which can be found by performing an IPconfig. Even with all the deafult configurations out there I always change the default network when I setup a home router anyway. IE: 10.10.X.X or 192.168.20.x or something as such.

Why?

Another good way is to use Wireshark (Previously Ethereal)
Start it and scan, next connect power to the router, on bootup it will most likely announce it's IP address...

Another good way is to use Wireshark (Previously Ethereal)
Start it and scan, next connect power to the router, on bootup it will most likely announce it's IP address...
Checkout Look@LAN for network IP scanning and monitoring to find the router and other devices. I think most will find it easier to use and it has a number of useful and helpful features. (And since its an IP scanner you can see actual IP addresses vs. defaults - just in case someone had changed default values)

lookatlan-network-ip-scan-result.png

:) Awesome, thanks for the suggestion LookinAround.

You bet :)
1. btw.. .i just fixed the download link in that post and
2. fyi.. Although I've found Look@LAN doesn't always report IP addresses for some devices (like network drives) I've still found it pretty useful and easy to use to get a quick snapshot of the router and computer IP addresses on someone's LAN

Here is another list with thousands of router default settings:

www.routeripaddress.com

Great article. I was looking for something like this. The default on my Netgear is 192.168.1.1.

I've tried typing in my IP address as suggested into my browser (http://192.168.1.68/) but safari can't connect to server?? Internet works fine for other uses, I.e. Writing this post.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Dylan

All Telstra supplied routers are 10.0.0.138, and all iiNet routers are 10.1.1.1.
I guess it makes it easier for their help desk staff.

Back